Banned players, Blacklist

• Hello,

First off I would like to know where the "Banned" list is kept.
    Second I was reading that if you enable the "blacklist" in the server properties it will create a file to add entries. I cannot find this either, my new glasses are to be coming in soon but I was hoping fora little hope before then.

DEATH AND DESTRUCTION PVP
    192.154.229.151:4255

• The banned list is kept in the world database, although we're thinking about moving it to a separate text file.

About the "blacklist": You have to create a separate text file called "blacklist" in your server directory. There you can add blacklisted players (one name per line). Also make sure that settings_blacklisted in the server.properties file is set to true ;)

• Thank you very much Red. Moving the blacklist file would be a good idea, has my vote :):D .
    I was reading in the pinned article that when you set blacklist to true it would create the file itself.
    What is the chances of putting in the IP of the player?
    I had a player banned through rcon and he just came back in.
    I could kick him out but of course when I tried to ban him I could not.
    Thanks again Red and have a very good day.

DEATH AND DESTRUCTION PVP
    192.154.229.151:4255

• I was reading in the pinned article that when you set blacklist to true it would create the file itself.

You mean the "Overview of server.properties" thread? Yeah the wording was indeed a little bit misleading, I've changed that to make it more clear ;)

What is the chances of putting in the IP of the player?

I'm not sure if banning the IP address is a good idea. At least when talking about IPv4 addresses, most people usually only keep their IP for ~ 24 hours (until their ISP assigns a new IP to them). So in most cases, banning an IP address would only help for a few hours, but may also result in innocent people being banned as well (since someone else might get this IP in the future).

I had a player banned through rcon and he just came back in.

If the server is busy (and can't keep up with updating the world database) or if the database is busy, there is a small chance that a player who just got banned might join the server again if he's fast enough. In this case it would help to just kick the player again.

You can find out if the server has problems updating the world database by typing getserverinfo sql into console from time to time. There should be usually 0 pending "Tasks", and if there is a number higher than 0, it should only last for a few seconds.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!