FPS drops when I start up a screen/video recorder

• My FPS is generally over 100 when I just have the game running with a web browser or iTunes open with it. But when I start up OBS my FPS drops to below 20 sometimes as low as 5. I know someone else who uses Xsplit and is having trouble as well. I have lowered my settings and still have the same trouble.

More testing - I had the following programs running at the same time:
    Steam, Rising World, Amazon Music Player, OBS, 3 tabs in Chrome browser, Discord & Task Manager.
    My Memory & CPU usage both showed under 50%. Whatever the problem is, I really don't think its my computer.

Has anyone had this problem and found a fix for it?

Thanks!

The sky is the limit! :thumbsup:

Edited once, last by Elspeth: additional information ().

• Hey Elspeth, i see No one has given any advice to this problem your having, it amazes me that with all the RW members on this Forum not 1 person is willing to help ! I also posted for Lady who is so desperate for the old compass back, and sad to say No one seems to offer their opinon or Agree/Disagree, Some times i wonder why we have a FORUM when NO ONE seems to want to help Others... X

• Hey Elspeth, i see No one has given any advice to this problem your having, it amazes me that with all the RW members on this Forum not 1 person is willing to help !

I find your comment and generalisation (noone on the forums wants to help others) to the least insulting to my person who always have been on the forums replying and trying to help wherever I can. But thing is I am not a streamer so I can't possibly know anything about the question asked thus couldn't reply to this thread with anything informative.

I also posted for Lady who is so desperate for the old compass back, and sad to say No one seems to offer their opinon or Agree/Disagree, Some times i wonder why we have a FORUM when NO ONE seems to want to help Others... X

On the topic of the compass's red arrow, it is quite simple. It is a suggestion, on the suggestions section of the forum so people read it they didn't care if it will be added again or not so they didn't reply. No answer does not mean people are against something it only means that simply they don't care. If I or anyone else were to reply to every suggestion with yes or no they would need to be spending half their day on the forums doing that so no unless I have something to add to an existing suggestion or I find a suggestion extremely interesting and important to the game I will not reply. Anyway why do you need a red arrow when you have a map? o.O

@Elspeth sorry for hijacking your thread :) hope @red51 will see it and give you a way to solve your problem :)

• Sorry for my late response! Actually some recording software sometimes acts weird when it comes to OpenGL, unfortunately there isn't much we can do about it in most cases :/ Although I don't know if this applies to OBS or XSplit...
    One typical problem is the hard drive: Rising World writes (and reads) the world data to/from the harddrive (more or less frequently). If another program is also accessing the hard drive (e.g. when Steam downloads some files), this can have a huge impact on performance. What type of hard drive do you have exactly (HDD or SSD)? I don't know how OBS or XSplit handle this, but most recording software causes lots of hard drive accesses. Depending on the state and fragmentation of your hard drive, this could result in performance issues for RW.

If you have a separate partition (or more precisely, a separate hard drive), it might be worth a try to move either RW or the recording software to that drive. If you have an SSD, it's definitely preferable to install RW on that drive. If you don't have an SSD, you could try to defrag your HDD.

• I am not a streamer, but I use the GeForce Experience.
    For MP4 video capture is very good, but I have no idea if it is good for streaming, and if you own an AMD, it is incompatible. I never enter this session of the forum, in fact I almost do not enter the official forum.

• Some basic tips (aka what I always check on before recording/streaming in a game)
    Bitrate, bandwidth when streaming and whether or not my recording/streaming program is set up to lock my fps (i usually leave it locked at 60 when streaming but I can leave it unlimited when I'm recording usually)
    Obs for me has had some issues with general fps drop but it's been awhile since I've been able to stream or record personally. And I've used Xsplitter too but I've never really used it in long term just general "catch cheaters" way to record short snippets so I can't really offer help there since I've never used it with Rising World at all.

Another tip I've noticed Windowed mode games tends to have less fps issue over all than full screen with OBS.
    I might have to check on OBS and recording later. Just, if all else fails do a throw away test run with nothing running in the background, it might be your computer not prioritizing the game over what's in the background or it might just be basic fps drops when you're loading new areas or moving suddenly (like the texture glitches I've notice happen a few times)

• This is the first time I've seen this post, as I'm venturing into this forum more and more.

Not sure how I can help as you didn't provide any information on your computer nor which version of OBS you're using, including which Open GL version you're using. And I don't know if you're just recording or streaming.
    So, I'll give you my computer specifications and what settings I use in OBS, and settings within RW. I did a lot of testing to get to my settings, and it was not easy getting to the point where I'm happy with the product.

My videos are at 1080p 60fps on YouTube. I do have a link in the "Media and Presentation" section of this forum if you care to see what my quality is like. The F3 key is activated in most of the video.
    All of my videos are edited with Shotcut.

My computer specifications:
    Intel i7-7700k, 32gb Memory, Win10 Home [build 16299, rev 192 KB4056892], Z270, GTX 1070 8gb, Water cooled CPU. (All case fans set to highest settings, and GPU fans set to medium settings)
    I record to an independent SSD. The GPU does heat up to around 34c - 40c. And when I'm down in Hell (Rising World destination), it does push the 50c mark.

Rising World Game Settings:

Misc Settings: Image Resolution: 4096x4096

Graphics:
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    View Distance: 30 Chunks
    Detail Distance: 19 Chuncks
    Anisotropic Filter: Off
    Fullscreen : On
    VSync: Off
    ..... Right side of Graphics screen is all turned on except for Specular lighting.
    Lighscattering Quality : Normal
    Ambient Occlusion Intensity: 8
    Depth of Field Range: 540

OpenGL: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.65

OBS Settings (OBS Version 21.0.1)

Game Capture
    Output/Advanced
    Recording
    Recording Format: mp4
    Encoder: NVENCH H.264 (I have an NVIDIA graphics card).
    Rate Control: VBR
    Bitrate: 12000
    Audio Tab: Audio Bitrate: 320

Audio:
    Sample Rate: 48khz
    Channels: Stereo
    Desktop Audio Device: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

(I record mic audio with Audacity)

Video:
    Base Resolution: 1920x1080
    Output Resolution: 1920x1080
    Downscale Filter: Lanczos
    FPS: 60

Advanced:
    Process Priority: Above Normal
    Renderer: Direct3D 11
    Color Format: NV12
    YUV Color Space: 709
    YUV Color Range: Full

OBS is set to run as Administrator (By default it's not set to run as Administrator)
    Disabled XBox Game DVR by altering Windows registry with aid from guides found on Google.
    Disabled GeForce Experience.
    I do not run any Anti-Virus of any kind.

For some reason I couldn't use the indent features. :(:/

• Rising World runs faster in window mode.

• @Elspeth Personally I ended up switching to Action! from here https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html my FPS went from crap to about 15-20 when recording in HD. I brought this up about a year or more ago and no solution has ever been found. You have to remember though this game is in Alpha which means memory leaks are possible but may not have been found or discovered yet. People have said to make sure your Java cookies are deleted from your PC entirely before each playthrough. Truth be said it works and get's about a 5 fps increase, try the config files turning off grass, weather water reflections and see what works best for you. Best of luck!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!