Creating a Server - Need a bit of help/Problems

• Hello! Due to my internet restrictions I'm not allowed to access the router of my internet provider. However, following the guide in the forums I opened the ports that were mentioned in my windows firewall. I was wondering if doing this in the firewall is suffice enough to get my private server going to play with my friend since I cant open my router settings. I opened the ports as instructed in my windows firewall and gave my friend my IP but he gets an error everytime he tries to connect to my IP. Is this not going to work since I cant access my router? Or is doing this port forwarding in my windows firewall the same thing? If it isnt that problem what else is keeping him from connecting? I have a great computer and good upload speeds. Also I'm unable to find any other help on this, so any help would be awesome dudes! Thank you.

• Unfortunately it is not sufficient to forward the ports in your windows firewall only. You need to set this up in your router, otherwise, no external connection is able to communicate with your computer through these ports.
    If you want to host a game, you could use hamachi or tunngle instead ;)

• Thanks! I just installed hamachi and trying to research what to do... any tips would be awesome to quickly set this up! Thanks :)

• Hamachi works great! Set it up last night, me and my friend had no problem playing at all. Very easy to do. Thanks for telling me about this.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!