Changelog 2018-02-14: Getting rid of the hive...

• We updated the server now and fixed some of the remaining depot issues and also updated the start scripts for linux :) If you still run into any problems, please let us know!

My world loaded normally, but when I planted grass, I got this error message:

The error occurred in the SwitchGrassType plugin (in the GrassTypeSwitch class in line 101). I can't see what kind of error it is, but I guess only the plugin creator can fix it...

was flying around in my converted SP world and the game crashed. here is the error log.

Thanks for the log! This is a bug which occurs sporadically lately (since the players update)... we have to keep a close eye on this, and if it occurs again, just let us know ;)

Oh I also had it open for friends to join. Nobody had joined yet but...

Does that mean nobody was able to join the game?

• Well, it looks like most hosters use custom start scripts to run the server (which actually makes sense). However, Steam uses environment variables which need to be set before executing the RW server... I guess it's really tricky to integrate a server (which did never require Steam before) into the Steam environment. We're looking for a workaround on our end, otherwise we will contact the hosters about this issue.

• Alright, thanks Red51. Everything makes sense now as to what's going on so I do wish you and the hosters the best in sorting it all out. Nitrado turned off the servers leaving this banner up

The game server will be updated to the latest version shortly. After the update has been applied, the server will restart.

Take your time with it, also because I'm too exhausted to mess with anything gaming. Take all night to carefully poke through it :P I however feel bad for both Red51 & Nitrado having to suffer through this also because of the whole DDoS'ing. I do however love the sound of two music tracks that I'd love to know how to trigger them + love the idea of the crowbar and such. Maybe at the least I should go play with that. A nice small addition adding onto the whole. :thumbup:

• Well, it looks like most hosters use custom start scripts to run the server (which actually makes sense). However, Steam uses environment variables which need to be set before executing the RW server... I guess it's really tricky to integrate a server (which did never require Steam before) into the Steam environment. We're looking for a workaround on our end, otherwise we will contact the hosters about this issue.

well from the filesystem that is being used while running steam update on GTX I gather they are running a windows server. Odd that they have always had steam update for updateing there servers for rising world.

• well from the filesystem that is being used while running steam update on GTX I gather they are running a windows server. Odd that they have always had steam update for updateing there servers for rising world.

Hmm... the Windows version of the server is supposed to work properly... do you maybe have access to the "Logs" subfolder in the server directory? Is there maybe a recent log file? Or is there an errorlog in the main server directory?

• Hmm... the Windows version of the server is supposed to work properly... do you maybe have access to the "Logs" subfolder in the server directory? Is there maybe a recent log file? Or is there an errorlog in the main server directory?

no error logs or no logs what so ever. The server never starts. It tries to start but doesn't.

• I have the same problem, i use server on Nitrado and on ZAP-Hosting,
    By Nitrado it just wont start, it give no event log

by ZAP hosting i get Error message if i want start the server.

Prozess ist abgestürzt:
    -------------------------------------
    --- Serverstartscript gestartet
    --- 15.02.2018 08:58
    No Sockets found in /var/run/screen/S-zap347258_g25266.

--- Serverstartscript beendet
    --- 15.02.2018 08:58
    There is a screen on:

11613.zap347258_g25266- (02/15/2018 08:58:57 AM) (Detached)
    1 Socket in /var/run/screen/S-zap347258_g25266.

mkdir: cannot create directory 'tmp': File exists
    Rising World - 0.9.2.2 - Dedicated Server

Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 Java 1.8.0_144 (amd64) Memory: 5726 MB

2018/02/15 08:58 AM

Start context...
    dlopen failed trying to load:
    steamclient.so
    with error:
    steamclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init(): Sys_LoadModule failed to load: steamclient.so
    [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed
    2018/02/15 08:58 AM server.Main
    SEVERE: Rising World - 0.9.2.2 - Dedicated Server

Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 Java 1.8.0_144 (amd64) Memory: 5726 MB

2018/02/15 08:58 AM

RW SERVER: Fatal error occurred!

com.codedisaster.steamworks.SteamException: Error initializing Steam Server API
    at server.i.a(SourceFile:56)
    at server.Main.b(SourceFile:344)
    at server.Main.initApplication(SourceFile:261)
    at commons.JIWApplication.initialize(SourceFile:236)
    at com.jme3.system.NullContext.initInThread(NullContext.java:87)
    at com.jme3.system.NullContext.run(NullContext.java:130)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

2018/02/15 08:58 AM server.Main
    SEVERE: Unable to shutdown the server properly (null)

• no error logs or no logs what so ever. The server never starts. It tries to start but doesn't.

Hmm... unfortunately I can't say much about this. Windows servers should be working properly. I'd recommend to contact GTX support about this.

I have the same problem, i use server on Nitrado and on ZAP-Hosting,

Some hosters who use Linux need to update their start scripts, since Steam requires some additional settings which can't be set from within the server application. We contacted Nitrado and ZAP-Hosting about these changes, I'm sure their servers will be ready shortly ;)

• Some hosters who use Linux need to update their start scripts, since Steam requires some additional settings which can't be set from within the server application. We contacted Nitrado and ZAP-Hosting about these changes, I'm sure their servers will be ready shortly

Nice. It was indeed right to wait it out for the night, and it's best to do that (to allow NItrado to update their side of things). Best to wait the night on Nitrado while seeing certain people getting all "uppity" on steam about denying them fun somehow. Not sure how :whistling: Thanks for this quote update.

• Nice. It was indeed right to wait it out for the night, and it's best to do that (to allow NItrado to update their side of things). Best to wait the night on Nitrado while seeing certain people getting all "uppity" on steam about denying them fun somehow. Not sure how :whistling: Thanks for this quote update.

Ok thanks, than we just have to wait.
    I need to go work now anyways so, will see it this evening :)

• Hmm... unfortunately I can't say much about this. Windows servers should be working properly. I'd recommend to contact GTX support about this.

I am not Shure if it is a windows server or not. All I know is I saw c:\.... in the file path to my server in the update script we are given to update the server. That usually means windows is involved from what I am told.

what GTX is going to have me do is back up the server and rebuild it first. This means 3 days of me downloading the server files and reuploading everything cause I have a bad internet service. All this just to find out it doesn't work. I have been through this before with them for a different reason.

I am also confident when I say they will not believe me when I tell them they have to update there start script if that is what is needed. It would be better if you contacted GTX and told them sence I saw earlier that others on GTX were having the same problem.

• Well that was pretty painless :thumbsup: and server updates now look a lot easier too.

Question: I take it we don't need the server_key file anymore? (I've brought it over anyway).

Also, my server did not show up on the multiplayer server list originally, it does now that I have joined it. I don't know if that is by design, thought I would it mention though.

Top job!

Edit: Hmm, I do have another question, my test server (for plugin dev) which runs locally on my workstation, will we still be able to obtain the files to run a server without Steam for local connections only?

• It would be better if you contacted GTX and told them sence I saw earlier that others on GTX were having the same problem.

We informed GTX Gaming about the changes now ;)

Question: I take it we don't need the server_key file anymore? (I've brought it over anyway).

Exactly, you don't need the server_key file anymore^^

Also, my server did not show up on the multiplayer server list originally, it does now that I have joined it. I don't know if that is by design, thought I would it mention though.

Maybe keep an eye on this. It turns out that the Steam server list isn't as reliable as we thought. The Steam query protocol is solely based on UDP so there is always a chance a query packet gets lost (resulting in a missing server)...

Edit: Hmm, I do have another question, my test server (for plugin dev) which runs locally on my workstation, will we still be able to obtain the files to run a server without Steam for local connections only?

Unfortunately the server is only available via Steam, but SteamCMD does not require a login at all, so it can be used to download the files ;) Alternatively you can also copy the files manually from your regular server (it's not required to have Steam installed in order to run the server).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!