Locks for doors grates and chests

• Hlo,

I'd really like to see locks you could put on doors, chests or grates. I'd also extra like to see keys that you could fit to the lock you want and then put the key in a chest. It's probably already obvious but i'd like to build my own adventure zones/dungeons :)

• Oh, Yahgiggle I mean I want physical keys I can put in chests that I hide around my building zone. Do you have those?

No unfortunately the API does not allow us to add new items to the game yet :)

• There is a way that this could be done with the current API

If you wanted to make a game in which people need to find "keys" to open dungeon doors for example to progress to the next level.

You could use in-game assets as the keys themselves.

Think of it like this, you could hide a skull somewhere in the level that the player needs to find, the skull could then be placed inside a chest that is near a door, when the chest contains, in this example a skull object, the door is unlocked. Removing the skull from the chest will lock the door again.

You could also use things such as touch mounts that require torches in to unlock doors. You could implement this in a kind of riddle, where certain torch holders need torches and others don't in order to unlock the door.

It's all very possible, you will just need to think carefully about how it is coded.

• oh yes true but a plugin like that would probably be too complex to set up unless , also chests have a universal server id to separate them from one another but items don't so you could in theory put any skull you had in the chest to unlock it and not the specific one that you have to find in the dungeon. Though now you have given me an idea :D I could start writing one such plugin at some point :D would be fun to bring some actual games to RW

• Once the GUI buttons are fixed in the API i was going to add to my chest protection plugin a keypad that you use to unlock the chest with a pin code but ATM this is pointless oO

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Once the GUI buttons are fixed in the API i was going to add to my chest protection plugin a keypad that you use to unlock the chest with a pin code but ATM this is pointless oO

What's wrong with the GUI buttons in the API? I ask as my plugin uses a confirmation screen with GUI buttons and I've been getting Java Virtual Machine crashes which currently I believe are being caused by this particular section of code =O

oh yes true but a plugin like that would probably be too complex to set up unless , also chests have a universal server id to separate them from one another but items don't so you could in theory put any skull you had in the chest to unlock it and not the specific one that you have to find in the dungeon. Though now you have given me an idea :D I could start writing one such plugin at some point :D would be fun to bring some actual games to RW

Yes you would need to make it a closed environment with just one skull in! I was thinking dungeons like a Doom setup. ^^

• What's wrong with the GUI buttons in the API? I ask as my plugin uses a confirmation screen with GUI buttons and I've been getting Java Virtual Machine crashes which currently I believe are being caused by this particular section of code =O

@yahwho I don't know about any crash's :/ the bug I'm taking about just removes the buttons when any player disconnects from the server, Red51 has told me he's going to fix it.

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Ah that's OK then. I've been having some EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION errors where the Java Virtual Machine crashes - apparently in native code.

It's taken some time to track down as the crashes were apparently random. But I now believe it is caused within a method I use that listens to GUI input - hence my wonder when you mentioned button bugs!

I actually think it's my SQL statement within the method that is causing the crash. I suspect some kind of race condition is happening when it's called at the same time. I've commented out the offending section of code and I've not had a crash since *touch wood*.

I think I may have to implement COMMIT and ROLLBACK on the database command to make it safe.

• Idea <--- Link

It has to work with/ to include object protection. ... 'cause we have the crower - HL ( ... for a better survival feeling)

Thief is a second thought. - - - And I know, it's nothing for builder maps/ servers - it should be shiftable. Perhaps there will be ages (build-, living-, endtime- age, ...)

• Maybe if you send me your slice of code that's causing the problem, i might see something your not, or send it to red51 hes almost always happy to help :-)

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Thanks you for the kind offer! I believe it's my SQL statement needs a commit and rollback block. If it happens again after this change I'll post up my code for dissection.

On another totally different note, which I would like to rant about, I should be seeing Apocalyptica tonight in Birmingham city centre but all public transport is cancelled due to the snow/blizzard storms. So I can't get there! Very miffed ;(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!