• I only visit other peoples servers to look around. I wont build anywhere but on my own creative worlds because I know where my world will be tomorrow. One thing I learned many years ago is that nothing on a server is permanent. One day your stuff is there and the next day the server (and all of your work ) is gone. I would rather control my own world and only visit others.

Fore some strange reason , I got banned for just looking around a server a year or 2 ago. I never picked a fruit or even swung a pic or axe on that server.

The server owner must have just been having a bad day.

Wait till they go from Alpha to Beta.. probably take a server wipe. Happened in many many of these building type survival games. I guess you can just not upgrade your server and play alone. X/

• For some strange reason , I got banned for just looking around a server a year or 2 ago. I never picked a fruit or even swung a pic or axe on that server.

The server owner must have just been having a bad day.

They may have seen your activity as suspicious for the reason that you didn't start building? I had someone log and simply just started committing suicide a dozen times. I'm assuming to get the starter inventory items. He wouldn't respond to chats and the username was mildly offensive - he got banned.

There are a few "dedicated" rising world servers out there. I can totally empathize with you, my first experience with rising world was to build a castle on a server only for it not to be there the next day :/ so I setup my own dedicated server. Multiplayer does enrich your game experience.

• They may have seen your activity as suspicious for the reason that you didn't start building? I had someone log and simply just started committing suicide a dozen times. I'm assuming to get the starter inventory items. He wouldn't respond to chats and the username was mildly offensive - he got banned.
    There are a few "dedicated" rising world servers out there. I can totally empathize with you, my first experience with rising world was to build a castle on a server only for it not to be there the next day :/ so I setup my own dedicated server. Multiplayer does enrich your game experience.

I did not name the server because it is still active. I have 4 creative worlds of my own I work on once and a while. That keeps me busy enough :) I got a message from a server today that I was not "Whitelisted" and could not play. Oh really? LOL :)

• I only visit other peoples servers to look around.

Unfortunately on many servers this can be seen as building time to higher ranks without committing to the server and since higher ranks for instance on our server means more creative permissions and thus more capabilities for causing chaos on the server we prefer if our players start building almost immediately after finding an area to claim. Thus they will have to think twice before creating problems as their area and build is on the line if they get banned.

Additionally though we have the guest player group to allow people to visit and look around w/o getting in the server's automatic ranking system. You are more than welcome to visit us anytime you like :) we have some awesome builds to show off :P

Wait till they go from Alpha to Beta.. probably take a server wipe. Happened in many many of these building type survival games. I guess you can just not upgrade your server and play alone.

Even before the game goes from Alpha to Beta there will be a few updates (e.g. the dynamic water one, or possibly an update introducing new biomes or changing the game in a very extensive manner) that will require a world reset, that includes SP worlds. Red has said he will try to keep such updates for the very end of the Alpha phase so that we can all build in peace for now.

When such an update happens unfortunately you will not 100% be able to keep playing the game on the old version w/o updating it (I would think at least for steam users the update will be mandatory). Then you will have to create a new world and use blueprints to get your old buildings in.

When such an update is close I think red will give us a heads up to have some time to blueprint all our builds so that we don't lose them. Though it is good practice to blueprint your builds regularly (at least if you are making changes to them that you want to keep, if you make no changes to something ofc you don't have to keep blueprinting it again and again :D )

I got a message from a server today that I was not "Whitelisted" and could not play. Oh really? LOL

Well that is just a private server you are not supposed to be able to connect to. A whitelist is one of the most common ways to have a private but publicly visible server for the selected friends/players to be able to easily find and connect to. I am a member in 2 such servers and I to be frank there is nothing wrong with wanting privacy when playing with friends.

• I know I am late into this conversation but I truly believe this should and could be a learning moment for all of us.
    Captain Cornball I really wish you would reconsider and start up a server again.

So you forgot the backups, that give your people a fresh slate to build on.
    It also will give you more time to maybe put in more securities.
    I can understand why you think it is an attack on you. This is your server, YOUR time, YOUR money, YOUR sweat that went into building this server and to have some (well insert word/words here) person destroy it kinda takes the wind out of your sails. I know it did when they hack my server, but that is also why I did not give up and I will not .
    I am not going to give them the satisfaction that they took down a server.

Sharkbite mention the giant pennus on his server this happened on my server and I found it funny as well but... mine is a pg ( family server) so it had to go.

Trillnar mention he got banned from a server for doing nothing.
    When people come on my server I say Hello in chat, wait a bit, maybe say Hello again, then TP to them and ask if they need help. If they do not answer I ask them again in several different languages. If they continue to ignore me I will kick them, if they come back they usually will start talking and apologize for ignore me.
    The reason I do this is the quiet one are usually the ones that causes the problems.

Sharkbite also mention object protection. Hmmm not sure if I seen that one but you can be sure I will look this up and install it. I install chest protection that I like so you can leave a chest at a good mining area and gather TP home, kill yourself go back to the cave (if you setup a shelter first :D ) and keep mining. I keep food and such in the chest.

Yah Giggle mention the "AUTO Windows server installer". I must of misunderstood him the first time we were talking about it. I thought it was for "Home Server" I did not realize it would work with a hosting company. I will have to test it out.

In a nicer world we would not have these problems but we do, we just need to pick ourselves up and continue on.

DEATH AND DESTRUCTION PVP
    192.154.229.151:4255

• object protection is actualy a replacement for chest protection but including all items that are removeable like doors and crafting stations and chairs. Furnace protection is another good plugin for your forges to lock the use of them.You do not want to run chest protection and object protection at the same time I am told. If you are using area protection you end up putting a triple lock on the chests that is annoying. I also believe all 3 will tell an admin who placed them. There is also another security plugin that looks interesting to me and that is block protection. I have not tried it but if I were setting up a new server I would try it. I believe it tells admin who placed the blocks too.

• I guess the reason I like/liked chest protection so much was the ability to leave chest around if you wanted to go om walk about.

Why wait on block protection? It seems it would be handy to tell about dweebs.

DEATH AND DESTRUCTION PVP
    192.154.229.151:4255

• I guess the reason I like/liked chest protection so much was the ability to leave chest around if you wanted to go om walk about.

Object protection does 100% the same as ChestProtection But its even more simple to lock and unlock or add friends to every object, just place chest then type /op unlock vs /cp unlock id pincode

See no need to know the id of the chest anymore oO

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png

I have an old server and untill block protection can cover the old blocks and be able to assign an owner to them, it is better I do not install it. It also makes group building a little tricky.

• At present, the RW server is a bit rough to configure and manage backups are a must! Write scripts to help automate things. Intimate knowledge of what you are providing and backups are the key to running a server. Ofcourse, active admins and community lure players and keep them coming back. I haven't used Nitrado long enough to know to experience disaster recovery with them. I doubt they know the game well enough to have a suitable recovery strategy. I learn how the server works and make my own documentation and strategy.

I understand the frustration. My server has been dead for a while and I lost interest in maintaining it. I admire you for having tried to run what I considered a popular and successful server in the past. And if you made a mistake, learn and move on. I know this is easier said than done. I work in IT and I am constantly belittling myself for my mistakes and slow pace. But I've been here six years and managed not to get fired yet, only promoted.

I'd love to revitalize my own box but would need to get a team together. I have none. There are a few good servers that are probably always looking for extra admins. Perhaps offer your services to another server owner.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!