Building mechanics suggestion

• Hello. I really love the construction detail and flexibility of this game, however i would like to see certain mechanics slightly improved.

The main thing i love about using wood is the ability to build independent from the grid.
    However in control mode adjusting position still works based on the grid, which makes the adjusting position painful procedure.

I would like to see this changed so the position in control mode will adjust based on which direction the material is facing on horizontal plane, rather than based on grid.

• control mode

what do you mean by control mode? positioning for woodplanks/beams/logs only follows the grid if you activate it with G :/

• Control mode is when you press crtl, then use arrows and pg up pg down to move. Useful for fine position adjustments, however outside 90 degree to grid alignment, it moves weirdly, zig zag but not quite.

• ok noone has called it control mode ever till now (btw 0 on numpad does the same so could also be 0th mode :P hahaha) so I didn't know what you were talking about and didn't want to just assume.

well have you tried using the setp/setr settings to make adjustments even finer than the default ones? About the arrow, PgUp/PgDn keys they always move the element on the default xyz global axes so if you are out of a 90 degree rotation ofc such movement is zig-zagy.

• the thing is the movement is not locked to the grid atm either. It is locked to the global xyz axes.

What would`probably be possible is to make the movement lock to the element's xyz axes instead of the global ones by command just like rotation modes are handled (e.g. similar to the rotation local/global/legacy have position local/global)

@red51 could take a look at this, good idea :)

• the thing is the movement is not locked to the grid atm either. It is locked to the global xyz axes.

Perhaps adding B&C axis's. In milling/machining some use other letters like D & Z.
    Here is a quick video of a 5 axis milling machine (not mine)

I was going to suggest the same, but this is greater detail.

Right now I don't know of a why to smooth out the ground to any degree, say a 1% or 5% incline. What I would want to to do is this:

• Block A is at 1 block height.
    • Block B is at a 3 block height.
    • Block A & B are 30 blocks apart.
    • Grade that area smooth from block A to block B, and have the option to place objects in that defined area to that grade.

I was going to build something, then soon realized, that it's not possible due to the mechanics of how the game is at it's current state. And as I typed this out, I realize how complex this might get, so I'm going to build it anyway to show you what I mean. Even if I was to just define a 30 block x 30 block area to make it where it wasn't affected by the xyz axis, I could deal with that. Even if you just changed the rake up/down terraforming to 1/8th (I would love if it was 1/16th) block size, that would be awesome. If I have to spend 30 days terraforming what I want, I'll do it, but right now the ability isn't possible.

• you can do that by using the smoothing tool in creative mode F5 -> 2 or using a rake but then it is quite hard to get it right. Maybe won't be as smooth as you may want it but it can be done to a reasonable extent

• I would like two simple things

• A chalk line - This is a line that is drawn in the sky or any two points that shows the block grid. I have a really hard time making roof lines. The viewpoint is skewed bit from distance and you cant really tell if something wood is really straight until you pull back or run something else along it and find it is moving at an angle. This can be like the select area grid turned on and off in color
    • An angle reading. This is sort of a backup to the chalk line but a way to see what angle you have rotated a beam or plank so you can get the exact angle correct without having to be at setr 1 all the time. You can see the size in the bottom left but would be nice to see setting angle/s
  • try using snap, lock, unsnap, unlock to set your angles on pnb and use the previous log or what evever to set the angle. snap is enter and lock is rt ctrl when holding pnb. Also if you use g while holding pnb it pops up a grid to place things on use f1 while holding pnb for all the commands.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!