Changelog 2018-03-22: Bows, armors, chainsaw and dummy NPCs

• A hotfix is now available! It introduces a GUI which provides a more convenient way to edit NPCs (just type "editnpc" into console while looking at the particular NPC) and also fixes a few other issues. Server owners also have to update their servers.

Hotfix 2018-03-25 (0.9.2.6):

• [New] You can assign names to NPCs now
    • [New] Added GUI to change name and appearance of dummy NPCs (type "editnpc" into console)
    • [Change] Tweaked some sounds
    • [Change] NPCs should no longer fall through the ground (need feedback)
    • [Change] Updated aiming position of bows
    • [Change] Dummy NPCs no longer sleep during night
    • [Change] Steel hoe can now also be used to craft "farmland blocks"
    • [Bugfix] Fixed death animation of npcs getting stuck in endless loop
    • [Bugfix] Fixed flickering clothing and items
    • [Bugfix] Player no longer falls through ground if it's made out of construction elements and not fully loaded yet
    • [Bugfix] Fixed pain and death sounds of female dummy npc
    • [Bugfix] Fixed crash when debug console was active

Thanks Red! I was having trouble with the NPCs falling through the floor before the hotfix, it seemed to be an issue if the floor was just had a y axis value of 1 with empty space underneath (such as a hollow structure). That Gui make everything 1000x easier! :thumbsup:

• Great job Red51 to you and your team!!! Really enjoy the changes!!! I was testing the NPC and one felt in water and died... :)

It's fun also to change your clothes and spawn NPC with different clothing!

Keep up the great work!! :)

• Sorry Red51, can you also make these NPCs spawn via a book item whenever ready in survival mode? Console commands are neat, yet I keep being asked if I can enable console commands to my server players that it be neat if we could have something "lesser" for those lower on the ladder of accessibility. Or maybe we can somehow tie this in with a plugin..... I guess until that happens I'm going to have to figure out how to fiddle with NPCs while wearing their clothing per request.

• hi, Every time the game is loaded, the clothing in the inventory is poorly displayed or is completely black. To fix it, I must re-enter the character to display correctly. How can it be?

Happens to me too, my avatar is black, but sometimes he has a white body or it's pitch black. the ballistic helmet loaded weird one time and it looked like half of a helmet that wasent rendered properly.

• A new update is now available (0.9.2.7), which introduces some new features, implements some changes and (hopefully) fixes all bugs out there - especialy the issue with the pitch black skin/clothes (need feedback). Server owners have to update their servers accordingly :)

We also added some new functions to the Plugin API with this update.

• [New] Group members are now visible on the ingame map (M)
    • [New] Added setting "game_bows_hide_crosshair" to config to disable crosshair for bows
    • [Change] Improved sync of other players chainsaw sound (in multiplayer)
    • [Change] Dummy NPCs no longer get scared by gunshots
    • [Change] Reduced max view distance of NPC nametags
    • [Change] NPC nametags are no longer visible through walls
    • [Change] Command "editnpc" is now also available for animals (only for changing animal name)
    • [Change] Color codes ("[#RRGGBB]") work properly for NPC names now (allows you to change NPC nametag color)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed sitting and laying positions of other players in multiplayer
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing sitting animation
    • [Bugfix] Fixed custom color fields in NPC edit window (small gear wheel icon)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed broken 3D markers for group members (multiplayer)
    • [Bugfix] 3D markers of other group members will be removed now when the player disconnects (multiplayer)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed bug which caused the player to get stuck in the loading screen ("Connecting...")
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing debug texts (F3) when playing via P2P
    • [Bugfix] Hopefully fixed issue with pitch black clothes and skin (need feedback)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed "offlineban" command
  • A new update is now available (0.9.2.7), which introduces some new features, implements some changes and (hopefully) fixes all bugs out there - especialy the issue with the pitch black skin/clothes (need feedback). Server owners have to update their servers accordingly :)

We also added some new functions to the Plugin API with this update.

• [New] Group members are now visible on the ingame map (M)
    • [New] Added setting "game_bows_hide_crosshair" to config to disable crosshair for bows
    • [Change] Improved sync of other players chainsaw sound (in multiplayer)
    • [Change] Dummy NPCs no longer get scared by gunshots
    • [Change] Reduced max view distance of NPC nametags
    • [Change] NPC nametags are no longer visible through walls
    • [Change] Command "editnpc" is now also available for animals (only for changing animal name)
    • [Change] Color codes ("[#RRGGBB]") work properly for NPC names now (allows you to change NPC nametag color)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed sitting and laying positions of other players in multiplayer
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing sitting animation
    • [Bugfix] Fixed custom color fields in NPC edit window (small gear wheel icon)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed broken 3D markers for group members (multiplayer)
    • [Bugfix] 3D markers of other group members will be removed now when the player disconnects (multiplayer)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed bug which caused the player to get stuck in the loading screen ("Connecting...")
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing debug texts (F3) when playing via P2P
    • [Bugfix] Hopefully fixed issue with pitch black clothes and skin (need feedback)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed "offlineban" command

Sorry Red, Still having a bug with the NPCs, they aern't pitch black (which is good), but certain clothing makes NPCs transparent, such as the leather vest.

• Sorry Red, Still having a bug with the NPCs, they aern't pitch black (which is good), but certain clothing makes NPCs transparent, such as the leather vest.

Thanks for the feedback, but that's a different issue: in order to prevent the player model to be visible through the clothes, certain parts of the body are masked. Currently we only have a programmatic solution for that (i.e. the game tries to determine which part of the body is covered), unfortunately it's not perfect. Actually the leather vest for the female character is by far the worst case, in other cases it's more or less acceptable ^^ The only solution for that is to set up the "mask information" manually for every piece of clothing. Probably this will be implemented with one of the next updates :)

• Thanks for the feedback, but that's a different issue: in order to prevent the player model to be visible through the clothes, certain parts of the body are masked. Currently we only have a programmatic solution for that (i.e. the game tries to determine which part of the body is covered), unfortunately it's not perfect. Actually the leather vest for the female character is by far the worst case, in other cases it's more or less acceptable ^^ The only solution for that is to set up the "mask information" manually for every piece of clothing. Probably this will be implemented with one of the next updates :)

Alright Red, thanks for the explanation. The undershirt works well, but there aren't many options for female styled shirts/clothes. I don't want to come across ungrateful when i say that, but is there a chance that new clothing will be released in an update?

• Oh fun! I spawned 2 NPCs in a practice world without issues. (they are in their underwear right now). Eve hung around but Adam wandered further away. I am wondering how far they will roam?

Can animals attack them? (I notice animals never attack each other...) Keeping your farmhands safe would add complexity to the game!

I hope that we'll get some kind of "crafting" interface for making npcs (both human and animals) that will be like that we have for crafting objects.

Hoping we can also ask them to follow us, or to perform a simple task, like mining or raking, or collecting crops. Would like to see them pick and eat food, and to interact with each other!

Thanks Red, this is a great addition to the game. :)

• I don't want to sound ungrateful when i say that, but is there a chance that new clothing will be released in an update?

Actually lots of new clothes are planned for future updates (and some clothings are already in the works), unfortunately I have no ETA for that yet... but if everything goes according to plan, the next update (the mounts update) maybe introduces some new clothes :)

I am wondering how far they will roam?

Basically they could go anyway, but they tend to stay in your proximity

Can animals attack them?

Unfortunately animals can't attack them yet... but that's planned for a future update^^

hope that we'll get some kind of "crafting" interface for making npcs (both human and animals) that will be like that we have for crafting objects.

Well, there is at least the "editnpc" command which can be typed into console while looking at the npc. It gives a "crafting like" GUI which allows you to change the appearance, gender, skin color etc of the npc (and also assign a name to him) ;) More options are definitely planned

Hoping we can also ask them to follow us, or to perform a simple task

That's planned :) Right now they're really just "dummies" with limited behavior :D

• Actually lots of new clothes are planned for future updates (and some clothings are already in the works), unfortunately I have no ETA for that yet... but if everything goes according to plan, the next update (the mounts update) maybe introduces some new clothes :)

Awesome! I'd take mounts and forms of transportation over clothes any day! Are they going to be animal mounts such as horses/oxen, or will we have machines such as cars, trains, boats, etc.

• My client keeps getting a fatal error, been happening a lot tonight.

Windows 10 (x64) 10.0 Java: 1.8.0_131 amd64 0.9.2.7_39 -H:3072 -D:3072 (Steam)
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, MS-16J9, 8112 MB (3186 MB Heap)
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 20171017000000.000000-000 22.20.16.4836
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 20171006000000.000000-000 23.21.13.8792
    at com.jme3.util.ListSort.mergeRuns(ListSort.java:474)
    at com.jme3.util.ListSort.mergeForceCollapse(ListSort.java:423)
    at com.jme3.util.ListSort.sort(ListSort.java:241)
    at com.jme3.renderer.queue.GeometryList.sort(GeometryList.java:158)
    at com.jme3.renderer.queue.RenderQueue.renderGeometryList(RenderQueue.java:262)
    at com.jme3.renderer.queue.RenderQueue.renderQueue(RenderQueue.java:305)
    at commons.c.renderViewPortQueues(SourceFile:570)
    at commons.c.flushQueue(SourceFile:462)
    at commons.c.renderViewPort(SourceFile:653)
    at commons.c.a(SourceFile:698)
    at commons.c.render(SourceFile:685)
    at commons.JIWApplication.update(SourceFile:343)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.runLoop(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:151)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay.runLoop(LwjglDisplay.java:198)
    at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:232)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

• Are they going to be animal mounts such as horses/oxen, or will we have machines such as cars, trains, boats, etc.

The next update will only cover animal mounts, but other things like trains, boats and cars are planned for future updates^^

My client keeps getting a fatal error, been happening a lot tonight.

Hmm... please upload the error log file (which can be found in the game directory) here. Maybe create a new topic about that :)

Would it be possible to make it so that only the "Owner" of a dummy npc can kill it?

Well, basically npc don't have an "owner" by design (with the exception of pets, which may be added in the future)... But this can be achieved with the API: the NpcSpawnEvent is triggered when a new npc spawns (either naturally or via command), so a plugin could store the name of the player (who spawned the npc), and handle the PlayerHitNpcEvent accordingly (i.e. cancel it if the npc gets hit by another player) ;)

I would like rail track soon.Even the train station is ready

Trains are in the pipeline. Once the mounts update is ready, we will focus on trains, cars, boats, more npc features and more survival features (although I can't say for sure which one of these things will be added first)^^

• Here are the error logs from yesterday and the server crashed for some reason today so I an including todays error log too.

errorlog_1522532073411.log
    errorlog_1522471045795.log
    errorlog_1522470843040.log
    errorlog_1522470767086.log
    errorlog_1522469414281.log
    errorlog_1522450227121.log
    errorlog_1522430117864.log

these are all the error logs from my client for today, the first entry, and yesterday, all the rest of the logs. Hope they help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!