PvP/Survival Suggestions (e.g. being able to hear other players footsteps)

• I own/run a survival PvP server (Wild Frontiers) and we are having a lot of fun!! However, most of my playerbase, including myself, would LOVE to see the following additions to enhance the experience:

(1) Ability to hear other players footsteps (we can only hear our own, or animals footsteps, even spiders :) We cannot hear other players sneaking up on us. This would greatly add to the immersion in RW!
    (2) Edit: settings_show_playerdistance=false (server.properties)
    Ability for server owner/admins to be able to hide player distance from being displayed on TAB (hold) player menu (easily exploited by those targeting individuals repeatedly).
    (3) Be able to leave a group you are part of (so you can damage each other again, to train, pvp each other etc. otherwise groups are great!)
    (4) Parachutes/glider/wingsuit/Hot Air Balloons? (admin toggle)
    (5) grapling hooks (admin toggle)
    (6) More weapons (catapult, ballista, handguns, Canons!)
    (7) Cows are too LOUD in comparison with ambient sounds and other animals. Seems a bit too high (In real life, I have cows that live across the street from me and they freak even if I have RW volume set low). :D
    (8) Distance you can access chests and other objects is too far (like 10+m back!) reduce to 1m or less, will help prevent the 'open chests' through wall issue (we prefer to not to use chest protection)
    (9) Allow sharing of map waypoints (set waypoint that group members can see and share)

I'll post more as we think of it.
    Otherwise, great great game and we look forward to future updates and plugins!

~Juggs

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

Edited 7 times, last by Juggernaut ().

• Totally agree with you friend. I totally agree with adding cannons to the game, i've also made a suggestion which revamps the group system, turning it into a faction/clan/empire system.

Instead of being able to leave the group, we could instead work with sparring ; blunt weapons, such as wooden swords, rubber ammo, and unsharpened arrows which will knock down the player instead of killing him.

We could also add Flintlock pistols which could be a downgraded version of the Handgun, same thing as the Rifle and Musket.
    Cannons is a must too, it really adds that medieval spice to the game.

We could also add Horses and boats to improve the mobility in the game.

• I too, would love it if we could hear other players approaching (though I have to admit I didn’t even realize we COULDN’T hear them! - Now I know that when I get nervous at the sound of footsteps - there’s no need - it’s just another pig!)

I would also love it if the option to disable the ‘tab’ window existed. When playing PvP, it removes so much of the challenge of tracking someone, and by the same token, increases the risk of being attacked greatly (since it is so easy to pinpoint another’s whereabouts).

When I first joined PvP Servers, I was (mistakenly) under the impression that by trekking far from the initial spawn point before settling down, and then disguising my base/home, I was making it difficult for attackers to locate me. I thought they’d miss me entirely, or give-up the search because of the difficulty in finding me. Stealth (on both sides) would be rewarded. The ’tab’ window makes such subterfuge largely irrelevant.

Of course, if there IS no ‘tab’ window, then hearing other players becomes that much more important! All the other sounds in this wonderful game are amazing. I love the insect and bird sounds (though would dearly love to SEE flying birds/flocks of birds, even if only, in the distance), and have been marvelling at all the different sounds of blocks (including the fact that they sound different depending on WHERE they are placed!)

I like the fact, Juggernaut, that your server does NOT utilize chest protection, thus adding an element of nervous haste to establishing a claim (appropriate on a PvP server). This DOES make the fact that chests etc. are accessible through walls problematic, however, so I too, hope this is addressed in the future. [I tested it, and one of my chests was accessible through a wall from a distance of 4.5 blocks.]

I apologize for my verbal excess (can't help it - I love this game so)!

• Character building with different classes for the server to give rights to access better weapons or tools. This can be done on a time basis with Autolevel but would be nice to have not just one growth path.

• Another thing the PVP game needs is an attractant to players. Currently the worlds are HUGE and I mean HUGE. This disperses players who want to be far enough away to not be detected. However, this provides a game exciting while the player initially builds but seeing other players requires an active campaign. Right now the populations of servers is very low less than 10 players spread out over hundreds of km does not make for much chance they will be seen. The remote player can make everything he needs to live and even the glory of special armor is done in secret in dungeons.

Therefore there needs to be an attractant that makes players chance of getting specialized or buying specialized equipment or supplies a risk. The dungeons are not the answer at all unless the entire premise for the game is fight zombie NPC in the dungeons alone. There is a fine line and the devs will have to see what they want as too much a requirement for teaming up will push off the players who want the risk to survive while they build nice structures. Possibly a reward for structures above ground could be in order. Players building grand battlements have a higher chance of survival in their above ground home but there needs to be some functionality requirements.

Possibly the size of a farming lands for a large structure would be interesting. That is if you have a large structure above land you get certain crafting resources easier but the large structure requires you to have a corn field that is 75 by 75 blocks with hundreds of corn plants to sustain it. Add water requirement storage to the mix and you have a fight for resources.

None of this may ever be put in but the idea of making players have increased chances of conflict will help the PVP game. Having requirements for large structures such as farming and water will also help the raiding type conflict. Caution to the havign things destroyed while offline frustration is always in order for this line though. 8|

• Therefore there needs to be an attractant that makes players chance of getting specialized or buying specialized equipment or supplies a risk. The dungeons are not the answer at all unless the entire premise for the game is fight zombie NPC in the dungeons alone. There is a fine line and the devs will have to see what they want as too much a requirement for teaming up will push off the players who want the risk to survive while they build nice structures. Possibly a reward for structures above ground could be in order. Players building grand battlements have a higher chance of survival in their above ground home but there needs to be some functionality requirements.

One way might be giving some form of special currency for pvp kills that you can use. Maybe make it so that killing more experienced player will net more points for player/team that did the kill.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!