method to force beams into themselves so you can form a circle pattern

• Sometimes this game is really really really really frustrating. The only way to generate curves is to make a flower pattern with beams inlaid into themselves and change angles. Then you have to add another piece of textured wood on the edge to attach your circle parts. But sometimes beams and planks and logs not even at all will ghost into the previous drop even without touching the mouse.. if you accidently move the mouse you are done and you can never get back into. Either it works from the beginning or your doomed to hours of frustration.

What needs to be put in will someday I am sure but maybe something that could force the beams to align inside themselves like a spot on them that helps you align the mouse so they do.

It seems to me we could save huge issues in rendering in this game if everyone was able to build curves without thousand and I mean thousands of vertical small segments. I looked at the little row boat someone did and there were over 100 items just to generate an oar. There were 6 or so ores in the blueprint. The ropes and other things had huge numbers of vertical items. The hull was hundreds and hundreds more items. This must bring some computers to their knees especially at the high pings people in Europe or Australia want to play on US servers. This is probably one of the biggest reasons people give up on this game. :huh:||

• The process is quite simple and always works for me.

1) press RCtrl or 0 on numpad to fix the beam in place
    2) only after the beam is fixed in place but still in ghost form (i.e. you can walk around freely without it moving with your cursor) use Ctrl and arrow keys to rotate it about the fixed mid point (you can use local rotation to make it simpler to rotate even if your view point is not perfect)
    3) right click while the rotation is taking place to place the beams in a circle
    4) place new beams at the end of the circle beams to make the arc using the Enter/Return key

• The process is quite simple and always works for me.

1) press RCtrl or 0 on numpad to fix the beam in place
    2) only after the beam is fixed in place but still in ghost form (i.e. you can walk around freely without it moving with your cursor) use Ctrl and arrow keys to rotate it about the fixed mid point (you can use local rotation to make it simpler to rotate even if your view point is not perfect)
    3) right click while the rotation is taking place to place the beams in a circle
    4) place new beams at the end of the circle beams to make the arc using the Enter/Return key

yes most of the time until it does not. Besides the very fact that you have to do this creates huge amounts of tracking data for everyones computer.

• yes that happens because you are using the default rotation method i.e. legacy, if you change it to local (type in the console: rotation local) that problem shouldn't be there any longer.

What you describe is not really a bug, let's get that out of the way, it is all about geometry and vectors.

Using the legacy rotation system (i.e. a combination of the local and global coordinate systems) if you rotate in some specific ways then some of the axes become the same and the only way to untangle them is by resetting the position with numpad 5 or by undoing the rotation steps you took.

• Ok but if it takes you that much of an effort to explain it then it certainly will reduce the amount of players we have in this game. I am sure you are well schooled in the subtle effects of the vectors and geometry of the game but if it takes 39 different rules to place one block it is quite something to just get out of the way. 8| Just where again in the online manual did it explain two different coordinate systems?

• well you don't need to worry about the 2 coordinate systems normally.

The different rotation methods were introduced in one of the previous updates, don't remember which one exactly but it was in the patch notes, there are 3 rotation methods legacy, global, local :)

• yes that happens because you are using the default rotation method i.e. legacy, if you change it to local (type in the console: rotation local) that problem shouldn't be there any longer.

What you describe is not really a bug, let's get that out of the way, it is all about geometry and vectors.

Using the legacy rotation system (i.e. a combination of the local and global coordinate systems) if you rotate in some specific ways then some of the axes become the same and the only way to untangle them is by resetting the position with numpad 5 or by undoing the rotation steps you took.

Can I do this in permissions or setup on my server so that it is correct for everyone?

• no unfortunately you need to type it in the console every time you log in, also your players can do the same with the rotation commands just like they can with the setp/setr/setl, these commands are not governed by permissions

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!