whitelist format

• So one of my pet peeves about whitelists/blacklists on other game servers is their inability to include both an id and a user-friendly name (or comments) so I have to maintain a seperate list of all my friends and their steam ids.

I could have sworn I read somewhere on here that the new format for the whitelist/blacklist was something like as follows:

name:steamid

I tried that initially on my server but it didn't work so I just went with this:

steamid

I was wondering, @red51 if it wouldn't be so much trouble, if we could change the format to make an optional user friendly name.

name:steamid

The parser can look for any entry matching something like ([0-9]*)$ which would maintain backwards compatibility with the current format

just a thought. :)

• problem is they can change names now so an added name would be useless if they decide to change there names. The reserved names would be a good name to use there but it still becomes useless if they change there name. An area for notation after or before the uid would be good though.

• I personally would more thinking that the name would be an admin related entry so the admins knew who the UUID was related to. Having it in the form of UUID:name would allow a future whitelist command to be created with very little effort, however allowing a comment would allow the admins to manage the whitelist file with minimal code change especially if a line was either a UUID or a comment.

• problem is they can change names now so an added name would be useless if they decide to change there names.

It's a good reference to have, especially when server admins share ban lists with each other. We don't care what the troll calls himself, we just want to conveniently look up the uuid in our blacklists, share it, and move on in life. :)

The next hotfix (guess it'll be available in 1-2 days) will accept name:uuid for the whitelist/blacklist (of course the old uuid format is still supported) ;)

Thankyou for listening to the community. :)

• It's a good reference to have, especially when server admins share ban lists with each other. We don't care what the troll calls himself, we just want to conveniently look up the uuid in our blacklists, share it, and move on in life. :)

Thankyou for listening to the community. :)

I do agree with you but it is the uuid that really makes a diference

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!