Tabbed chat

• Hi Red,

Another one that's probably been suggested but I couldn't find. The current chat handles output from debug functions (like Object IDs), messages from plugins, in addition to player chat. It would be helpful if we could have a tabbed chat that allowed us to separate these. Also, the ability to create custom channels and tabs.

I forget which game had this, possibly WoW. We could create additional tabs and then use checkboxes to select which events showed in that channel.

It might not be trivial to add this since it tab selections and checkboxes would require clickable GUI elements, but perhaps that could be triggered by a function key.

Cheers!

• The current chat handles output from debug functions (like Object IDs)

What debug functions? The are no debug functions in the game atm :O All debug output should go to the log file if you have the debug console enabled which is indeed a separate window. Unless you mean the red text that comes up when a plugin throws an exception? (this is only visible to admins btw)

messages from plugins

plugins have a number of ways to send a message in the chat:
    1) Broadcast it so everyone sees it
    2) Send it to a specific player only
    3) You can add checks (if loops) to only send to admins/specific permission groups/etc.

• When I interact with any crafting table, open a door, etc. I get an Object ID reported in chat. That was the debug function I was thinking of. Is that a server config?

We have a number of automsgs, your EconomySystem plugin, ABM and others that all report in the general chat window. When the server is busy, there are many people chatting, having independent discussions which are all lumped in the same general chatbox. As a semi-admin, it's my role to welcome people to the server and give them a basic induction which involves a lot of repetitive text that existing players have heard many, many times.

My vision for a tabbed chat would allow us to have an unfiltered tab, a tab for ES plugin responses, ABM responses, private discussion tabs, etc. That way players can tweak the chat to which information is relevant to them, flip across to other tabs to get needed info, etc.

• When I interact with any crafting table, open a door, etc. I get an Object ID reported in chat. That was the debug function I was thinking of. Is that a server config?

Ah no this is because you have the objectProtection plugin on the server.

As a semi-admin, it's my role to welcome people to the server and give them a basic induction which involves a lot of repetitive text that existing players have heard many, many times.

I would recommend looking into my ServerTools plugin and specifically the /sayn function, this can send automated messages (i.e. prewritten so you don't have to type them every time ;) ). It also supports private messages if you add a player name at the end of the command so not every player has to see the same info over and over :) (Though you have to be a full admin to use it right now but this will be extended in the next version I am preparing to selected perm groups i.e. Admin, Vice_Admin, or whatever else you call it :) )

your EconomySystem plugin

You playing on Rosalia right? my ES plugin shouldn't return anything in a broadcast manner, it should only send private messages to the people using it. If that is not so please let me know to look into it (also what the message said will be helpful in finding where the problem is) :D Btw the ES plugin will be reworked fully soon to have a nice GUI and more functions so please bear with it for now :/

My vision for a tabbed chat would allow us to have an unfiltered tab, a tab for ES plugin responses, ABM responses, private discussion tabs, etc. That way players can tweak the chat to which information is relevant to them, flip across to other tabs to get needed info, etc.

The main problem is that in RW you don't have a cursor permanently visible (unlike WoW where they indeed do have a tabbed chat system) so switching tabs is not as easy, maybe Shift+1, Shift+2, etc. could be used to switch tabs since 1, 2, etc. are used for quicklots :)

• Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Yes, I'm on Rosalia. Not sure if Shark has ServerTools on there as I'm just an Admin_Lite :D

The ES plugin quite likely does only message me privately, but nonetheless, it would be nice to separate that buy/sell "spam" from the general hubbub.

Yeah, I considered the lack of a free pointer in my OP. IMO hitting F5 or something to toggle a free pointer for manipulating GUI elements would be suitable.

• Yeah, I considered the lack of a free pointer in my OP. IMO hitting F5 or something to toggle a free pointer for manipulating GUI elements would be suitable.

That would indeed be useful but F4-F8 (or F9 can't remember right now) are already occupied by the creative mode tools. Then F2 is fly mode and F3 is debug output (white text on screen) F1, F10-F12 are usually used by overlays for screenshots and video capture so not a lot of keys left :/

maybe holding Alt or something would work not sure if Alt does anything atm

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!