Nightly vs. Stable

• Guys you are doing a great job with concept. The frequently updates are quiet nice. But sometimes it seams that you release staff a bit to soon (last release has 7 minor bugfixes). I think it is no problem during an early alpha access.
    But I would recommend a nightly and a stable version for the future (maybe next year...). So everyone can choose which version he prefer.

Especially server are running with stable versions and do not update so often.

• Yes, the previous update was like bewitched. I like the idea of nightlies and stables, we will definitely think about taking that route. I'm not sure when we use that kind of update system, but at latest when we reach beta state.

We also want to introduce the ability to downgrade the game to an older version. That's why there is the no-working "Options" button in the launcher.

Currently if you don't want to risk any game-breaking updates, you should wait with updating. When starting the game, the launcher asks if you want to update, simply press "No" and wait a few days, so if there really was a (major) bug, we will fix it as soon as we get aware of it (on the other hand, all previous bugs only occured in special situations, and 4 of the 7 Bugfixes were more like "cosmetic problems").
    I mean, that's the reason the game is still in alpha ;)

Dedicated servers require a manual update currently, but we also want to introduce an auto-update feature there.

• sounds good that's would be feature - so daily changes can be on nighties for testing

• sounds good that's would be feature - so daily changes can be on nighties for testing

No, please don't get it wrong: There won't be daily changes available in the nightlies. The expense would be too high for us... The current update frequency wouldn't be influenced if we offer nightlies.

• No, please don't get it wrong: There won't be daily changes available in the nightlies. The expense would be too high for us... The current update frequency wouldn't be influenced if we offer nightlies.

i know but i am not saying daily - some games have two or three updates in week

• Okay ;) But I'm afraid that even two or three updates per week are difficult to achieve. Anyway, nightlies may be relevant when the game reaches its beta state, but until then, I guess we follow the current update interval of 1-2 weeks :)

• But sometimes it seams that you release staff a bit to soon (last release has 7 minor bugfixes)

I don't see any problems in that. At least the bugfixes don't take so long, the last ones were available within the next two days. I know a lot of other games where even critical bugs were fixed after a few weeks :cursing:

But I would recommend a nightly and a stable version for the future

Sounds good! I'd love to see something like in Minecraft, where they're releasing those optional weekly updates. But if you ask me, it's not really necessary as long as this game is in alpha...

I guess we follow the current update interval of 1-2 weeks

At least for me, that's absolutely fine :thumbsup:

"I wish I had a dollar for every time I spent a dollar, because then, I'd have all my money back" :P

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!