Game crashes due to problem with NVIDIA OpenGL driver

• Hi. I have several crashes due to this error in the last few days. Game version 5.1.5. The error message is a

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver detected a problem with the display
    driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.

Error code: 8
    Visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for more information."

This appears to be a somewhat generic error message, and I have not managed to find any detailed information regarding this.

My system specs...

Microsoft Windows 8.1, Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3701 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
    Locale United Kingdom
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

GPU GeForce GTX 780
    VRAM 3GB
    Driver Version 347.09 (up to date)

Resolution 1920x1080 @ 60Hz

I will be duplicating this post onto the Steam forum.

• Thanks. That was an impressively quick reply :)

Some further detail - the crash only occurs intermittently. I can start the game with no problems and play for several hours before it happens, or it may not happen at all. There seems not to be a constant in game activity that triggers it.

On a positive note, I can restart the game straight away, and so far have always started where I was when the crash occured with little or no progress lost, so your game saving procedure seems to handle this well.

• I would recommend to install another driver version ;) Sometimes newest drivers may have stability issues, and especially concerning OpenGL there may be bugs in the drivers sometimes. When did you install the latest driver?

• I use the GeForce Experience utility for keeping the driver up to date. The current one was installed on 23/12/2014 (Version 347.09) and when I checked a few minutes ago, it is stated to be up to date.

I will test an older driver version later today.

As things stand, the game is perfectly playable for me for long periods of time, so this is really more of a bug report than a help request. I will report back later today whether I have problems with an older driver, however as the crashes only happen intermittently and sometimes after playing a long time, this may not be 100% confirmation the issue has been solved.

• I don't recall having any previous problems with the game (aside from dropped connections to MP servers occasionally). Windows Event Log shows I first had this problem 2 times on December 29th, and 9 times on 30th. Then, 5 times on January 8th, 1 on the 11th, and 4 each yesterday and today. I have also played the game on most of the days when the error hasn't occured at all.

The errorlog from the 16th is as follows...

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Report of 16.12.2014 by Robert
    OS: Windows 8.1 (x64) Version: 6.3 Java version: 1.8.0_25 JVM architecture: amd64
    CPU cores: 12 Executor poolsize: 24
    Memory used: 618.03 MB reserved: 854.14 MB max: 2051.60 MB

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Existing buffers: 50390
    (b: 8610 f: 36460 i: 2239 s: 3081 d: 0)
    Total heap memory held: 603549kb
    Total direct memory held: 1061233kb
    (b: 387164kb f: 612680kb i: 52178kb s: 9209kb d: 0kb)

Settings:
    Resolution: 1920x1080 (Fullscreen)
    Frequency: 60 Vsync: off
    DepthBits: 16
    BitsPerPixel: 24
    Samples: 1
    MaxFrames: 200
    Renderer: LWJGL-OpenGL2

Anisotropic: 0
    DynamicLights: 100 Quality: 2
    ViewDistance: 21 (LOD: 50)

LS(Q)/LG/ENV/PHD/NM/FOD/FXAA/SPEC/REFR/SSAO: 1(110)/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/11

Graphics: GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2 Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation OpenGL version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 344.75
    Accelerated Memory: Indeterminate
    GLMaxTextureSize: 16384
    GLMaxTextureImageUnits: 32
    GLMaxArrayTextureLayers: 35071
    GLMaxVertexTextureImageUnits: 32
    GLMaxVertexUniforms: 4096
    GLMaxFragmentUniforms: 2048
    GLMaxVaryingFloats: 124
    GLMaxVertexAttribs: 16

Capabilities: [FrameBuffer, FrameBufferMRT, FrameBufferMultisample, TextureMultisample, OpenGL20, OpenGL21, OpenGL30, OpenGL31, OpenGL32, ARBprogram, GLSL100, GLSL110, GLSL120, GLSL130, GLSL140, GLSL150, VertexTextureFetch, TextureArray, TextureBuffer, FloatTexture, FloatColorBuffer, FloatDepthBuffer, PackedFloatTexture, SharedExponentTexture, PackedFloatColorBuffer, TextureCompressionLATC, NonPowerOfTwoTextures, MeshInstancing, VertexBufferArray, Multisample, PackedDepthStencilBuffer]

Camera location: (219.4891, 64.88325, 74.12197) Camera rotation: (0.21469304, 0.7303182, -0.2648882, 0.59192604)
    Total running time: 102.157455

/D:/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/RisingWorld/risingworld.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jME3-core.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jME3-desktop.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jME3-effects.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jME3-jbullet.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jinput.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jbullet.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jME3-jogg.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jME3-lwjgl.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jME3-lwjgl-natives.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jME3-networking.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jME3-plugins.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/jME3-terrain.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/j-ogg-oggd.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/j-ogg-vorbisd.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/lwjgl.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/stack-alloc.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/core/vecmath.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/data/jiw/jiw-gui.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/data/jiw/jiw-bytenetwork.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/data/server.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/data/commons.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/lib/sqlite-jdbc.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/lib/luaj.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/data/assets/interface.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/data/assets/materials.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/data/assets/models.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/data/assets/music.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/data/assets/sounds.jar Checksum: N/A
    /D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/RisingWorld/data/assets/textures.jar Checksum: N/A

Error details:
    java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
    java.util.ArrayList$Itr.checkForComodification(Unknown Source)
    java.util.ArrayList$Itr.next(Unknown Source)
    de.jiw.gui.core.Element.transferUpdateTick(Element.java:2278)
    de.jiw.gui.core.Element.transferUpdateTick(Element.java:2279)
    de.jiw.gui.core.Element.transferUpdateTick(Element.java:2279)
    de.jiw.gui.core.Screen.update(Screen.java:1798)
    com.jme3.scene.Spatial.runControlUpdate(Spatial.java:570)
    com.jme3.scene.Spatial.updateLogicalState(Spatial.java:688)
    com.jme3.scene.Node.updateLogicalState(Node.java:145)
    com.jme3.scene.Node.updateLogicalState(Node.java:152)
    commons.JIWApplication.update(SourceFile:73)
    com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.runLoop(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:151)
    com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay.runLoop(LwjglDisplay.java:185)
    com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:228)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

• I am now using driver version 344.75, and have played for several hours with no crashing, however as I said before due to the intermittent nature of the problem it is not possible to say with 100% certainty that was the cause.

Anyway, thanks for the help looking into this. You have created an excellent game which I already have over 180 hours on.

• An update to this, in case it is useful for anyone else - using the previous nvidia driver (344.75) I encountered no further crashes for a whole week. I updated the driver to a brand new one earlier today (347.25), and have so far also had no problems with this one.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!