Server has disappeared from list?

• Is it still missing? oO I can see the server in the list now, although 4 hours have passed since you created this topic...
    Do you refer to the ingame server browser or the Steam server browser (in your Steam client under "View" -> "Servers")?

• Thanks Red. It was the in-game list. I can see it too now - phew!

I think I know what was causing it :/ I have two servers running here. One is the main public one running off Windows 2012 the other is my local test server which runs locally on my workstation (not always running). I discovered when I run my test server people could see the name of the test server in their (ingame) server list - even though when they connect to it they actually connect to the 2012 server (clearly as the WAN routing is setup that way). I didn't want the test server to be visible so I changed (on the test server):

Code
    server_list_visible=false

It appears that by doing so on my test server it removed my main server from the list too =O . I've changed it back to true now and renamed my test server to have the same name as my public one. No one will ever know :rolleyes:

All seems fine now! I assume as the servers are on the same external IP and same port it confuses Steam even though their internal LAN configurations are totally separate.

• Hmm, I probably would have run into the same problem.

I guess another way to fix any confusion would be to run the test server on a different port?

• Is there maybe something in the logs about "Steam losing connection" or something like that? There is also a chance that the server disappears from the master list if it's either too busy, or if there are any connection issues (unfortunately Steam only uses UDP for queries, so there is a chance that some packets get lost).

It appears that by doing so on my test server it removed my main server from the list too

Hmm... basically this setting should not affect other server instances running on the same machine =O

I guess another way to fix any confusion would be to run the test server on a different port?

You cannot run more than one server on the same ip + same ports, i.e. every server needs its own port range.

• These severs are running on different machines, on different subnets but with same external IP.

I did ask a few players if they could see the server on their list - they said they could see it(!) I definitely couldn't see it. I tried both with player count and alphabetical listing (and a couple of client restarts). After changing the server visibility boolean setting back on my test server and rebooting everything (including the routers) the server reappeared on my list.

Thinking about it, it's probably as you say Red - a networking issue with lost UDP packets.

Upshot is everything is working as expected. . . So, if it's not broken don't fix it!

• These severs are running on different machines, on different subnets but with same external IP.

Well, Steam suffers from a bug that the Steam server always uses the external IP for queries (instead of the actual IP the server is bound to), but we implemented a workaround for this so this shouldn't be a problem here (it only causes the server to vanish from the server list in the Steam client from time to time). Just make sure that mp_use_steam_masterlist in the config.properties file (in your game directory) is set to false ;)

The server also disappears if your client cannot query it within 2000ms... so if either the client or the server is too busy and the client gets no response from the server within 2 seconds, the server will not show up in the list.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!