Simple up the permissions stuff

• I have worked and worked and denied and typed and spaced.. the permissions thing is way to difficult to make work. It works sometimes then does not work. It is so hard to edit that it takes a degree in computer science. Can you simplify this thing a little so we can customize our servers to the way we want them to grow?

• As long as the syntax is correct, the permissions should always work. Yaml has a pretty strict syntax and a wrong indenting results in the permission file being invalid. When working with permissions, it's recommendable to keep an eye on the server console/log, since an erroneous permission file will always give an error.

Nevertheless, the next RCON tool (which is currently in the works) will have a built-in permissions editor. It allows you to set up and edit permission files easily without having to worry about the syntax or indenting or anything like that.

• As long as the syntax is correct, the permissions should always work. Yaml has a pretty strict syntax and a wrong indenting results in the permission file being invalid. When working with permissions, it's recommendable to keep an eye on the server console/log, since an erroneous permission file will always give an error.

Nevertheless, the next RCON tool (which is currently in the works) will have a built-in permissions editor. It allows you to set up and edit permission files easily without having to worry about the syntax or indenting or anything like that.

I get no errors in the console and guess what they can still craft the denied stuff. I am on the 7th revisions and still issues. I use a yaml editor and still they can make repeater rifles.

The YAML syntax is complete bogus for the use of a casual game server owners. Do you want this game to grow or what?

• YAML is very strict yes but so too are all languages. If you have problems copy and paste an example and edit it (that how I started).

Code
    chatcolor: 0xFFFFFF
    chatnamecolor: 0xFFFFFF
    items:
    crafting:
    deny:
    - repeater

p.s. In regards to spacing - tab and space bar are not the same thing.

• YAML is very strict yes but so too are all languages. If you have problems copy and paste an example and edit it (that how I started).

Code
    chatcolor: 0xFFFFFF
    chatnamecolor: 0xFFFFFF
    items:
    crafting:
    deny:
    - repeater

p.s. In regards to spacing - tab and space bar are not the same thing.

I know I know but seems I still get repeaters. It is just a very tedious thing to have to edit 16 different files (yes I have that many groups to get what I want out of my server) to get what you want and a simple space can make it pass through the loading process with no errors then not work in game. One too many spaces creates a completely different signal that the game ignores. There has to be a better way it is already hard enough for people to create servers and use plugin. Would be nice to have a PNB style editor for group permissions.

• The YAML syntax is complete bogus for the use of a casual game server owners. Do you want this game to grow or what?

We had to use a language for the syntax, and acutally YAML is quite suitable for that. In addition, it's also used for Minecraft/Bukkit, so instead of using something completely different (or creating our own language), it was better to use the same language that's already in use for a huge game ^^

It is just a very tedious thing to have to edit 16 different files (yes I have that many groups to get what I want out of my server)

There is no need to edit all permission files. Every group inherits its permission from the default.permissions file, so basically you just have to deny repeaters in the default.permissions file. Now if you want a certain group to be able to craft this item, you can explicitly allow it in the particular group permission (this will override this permission for this group).

I know I know but seems I still get repeaters

Are you an actual admin on your server (i.e. admin in the server.properties file)? In this case, permissions will be ignored for you. This can be quite confusing sometimes, but if you don't want this behaviour, you can set settings_admins_allpermissions to false in the server.properties file.

it is already hard enough for people to create servers and use plugin

What's the issue with using plugins? =O You basically just have to extract them into the "plugins" folder in your server directory...

There has to be a better way

As mentioned, the next RCON tool will provide a permissions editor which allows you to set up and edit permissions easily.

• Quote from red51

What's the issue with using plugins? You basically just have to extract them into the "plugins" folder in your server directory...

I am pretty sure he means the individual settings of plugins. For instance I know my Server Tools plugin is a bit of a hard one to set up with 6-7 different text files for all the features. Thus working on a GUI to kinda simplify it a bit for users. :D

Similarly i am sure there are other plugins a bit harder to set up after extracting them.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!