How to force certain display and resolution - my workaround is broken since 0.9.4

• tl;dr:

• How can I force DVI-I-1 surviving a relaunch without disabling other displays prior?
    • How can I force resolution 1920x1200 surviving a relaunch without hacking and write protecting config.properties?
    • How can I force borderless fullscreen window and configure resolution surviving a relaunch without hacking and write protecting config.properties?

I've some serious trouble with the behaivor of 0.9.4 and multiple displays.

My setup has 3 displays. This is the xrandr output:

(1) HDMI-1-1 connected 1680x1050+0+150 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 474mm x 296mm via iGPU
    (3) DVI-I-1 connected 1920x1200+1680+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 518mm x 324mm via dGPU
    (2) HDMI-0 connected primary 1680x1050+3600+150 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 478mm x 300mm via dGPU

* I usually play on my DVI-I-1 with 1920x1200
    * RW does only detect 1680x1050 and starts on "some" screen
    * RW never saves what screen I want it to run when I "drag and drop" the game window to the screen I want
    * RW never adjusts possible resolutions after I moved the game window to another screen
    * I can not find a way to force a certain screen without disabling other screens first

0.9.3 behaivor:
    * Would launch on non primary HDMI-1-1
    * Would launch on desired DVI-I-1 when HDMI-1-1 is disabled but only offers 1680x1050 and never the available 1920x1200
    * Could set resolution in game settings dropdown to 1680x1050 and set borderless fullscreen window via checkbox

This was okay-ish for me. I could live without the 1st display and since it is connected to the iGPU and not the dGPU. I'm somewhat used to this kind of trouble for some games. The resolution was fixed by hacking config.properties and I was fine with this.

0.9.4 behaivor
    * Would launch on non primary HDMI-1-1
    * Would launch on HDMI-0 now when HDMI-1-1 is disabled
    * Can only force it to launch on DVI-I-1 when both, HDMI-1-1 and HDMI-0 are disabled but also only offers 1680x1050 and never the available 1920x1200
    * Can only set resolution in game settings dropdown to 1680x1050 or choose fullscreen window mode - not both any more without editing config

Also I want borderless "fullscreen window" because otherwhise Alt+TAB out of the game does not work [smooth or at all] otherwhise. This results in an unwanted overlay of the system task bar tho. One of the reasons why I want my HDMI-0 display connected so it is the primary screen housing the system task bar not disturbing the borderless "fullscreen window" on DVI-I-1. This is no longer possible with 0.9.4. so I get a cut game window now where the screen stops showing directly at the health bar since it's moved just below the system task bar (ingame screenshots via F12 are fine). Annoying but "just" playable.

So to get the behaivor I want with 0.9.4 I have to
    * Disable HDMI-1-1 and HDMI-0 (most annoying)
    * Force resolution 1920x1200 via editing config.properties (annoying)
    * Write protect config.properties so RW won't overwrite my settings, since the dropdown does not offer my native display resolution and will happily write back 1680x1050 (very annoying, breaky any UI setup of course)
    * Live with the overlay of system task bar now (annoying but can probably be tweaked by system itself)

Code
    graphic_resolution_x=1920
    graphic_resolution_y=1200
    game_force_desktop_displaymode=false
    graphic_displaymode=2

And yes.. it's in the GERMAN HELP forum. Noticed this to late and don't feel lucky to copy & paste this. Mod may assist :)

• This really drove me mad so I did what every Linux user does: Kill the problem with a stone shell script. Mayhap it's of use for others:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!