Another very interesting game

• Ground aspect of crafting i like personally, different, slower, but same achievement in staid of instant creation!
    Sad part is the raft part, sinking if you put few items in it & always sinking halfway to other islands...
    Left multiple time to go check the horizon but strangely always ended up at my original spawing island..

For sure we need to build our own wooden raft to cross over i assume....
    Don't forget you need to build a hammer to build most items
    look same as the axe but for construction only the hammer will do!

• I'm curious what you guys think about having to lay items on the ground near each other in order to craft?

I think that would work for bigger (and more "powerful") items like a car or as Killem said a raft. But please not for every item and not too complex things.
    Also, a "recipe" like in Prison Architect would be useful: There, you have a plan about how to build something. And when you done that you can tell the game that it is e.g. a specific cell room. So, if we e.g. lay some logs next to each other, maybe we would have to craft some ropes and then mark the logs and tell the game that those logs are supposed to be a raft. The game would confirm that it was built correctly and then lets you craft the raft with the rope.
    This way, you could make different sized cars etc.

• Left multiple time to go check the horizon but strangely always ended up at my original spawing island..

Really?

On their website it says:

Open World
    The world of Stranded Deep is infinite and completely procedural from
    the islands to the trees themselves! Every new game will be a new
    experience with new places to explore, easter eggs to find and
    achievements to accomplish.

This claims the world is already like that, infinite and completely procedural. So if we're just getting the same island over and over, isn't that bordering on a scam? I mean the game is only 400mb. How many textures can be in there lol

The throwing stuff on the ground kinda works for this game. The building is super simple, just stuff with sticks and rocks, plant fiber etc... That system would never work for RW. The physics are still part of the building... stuff can slide or roll away and you gotta drag it back and try again. Overall I don't mind that, it's realistic. You gotta plan where you will build (flatter ground...).

One thing I hate, is cooking. The camp fire is weird, it has a weird hit box or whatever. Trying to place a fish on it, or a crab is frustrating.. and glitchy. I know it's alpha, just giving feedback for people interested in the game. Also I really wish I could add more wood to the fire instead of it just running out and making another.

I'm on my first life still, I've played about 2 hours and I've survived 4 days I think in game. I've fallen off a tree 4 times, broken stuff.. my arm is still twisted after getting back to full health (not sure how I broke my arm when landing on my feet..lol). I've eaten several things that made me puke.. and along with twisted, bloody arm, it is now diseased with like small boils or some kind of infection. I hate that a rubber raft suddenly disappears half way to another island. Happened to me in the middle of the night and by the time I reached the next island I was nearly dead and at the end of the swim a shark nearly got me. For me, the fear is real! lol This game will freak you out. There is no avoiding going in the water (even if rafts didn't disappear) and who knows when a shark will come. So, so.. creepy. So just for that, game is great haha That feeling of survival, is great.

I find the food system off... there is no way I should have to drink and eat like 5-6 coconuts a day in order to survive, plus a few small fish or crab. Maybe 2 coconuts and a fish or crab. I've watched enough survivor man etc.. to know better haha. Again, I know it's alpha and I plan on visiting their forum.

Next thing I will do is sacrifice a life and go as far as possible, see if islands are repeated or they give what they claim is in game.

Another one I've come across is Dead Sea. It looks interesting. Found it in steam greenlight and it's been greenlit. Not sure about their monster stuff... but worth checking out.

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• This claims the world is already like that, infinite and completely procedural. So if we're just getting the same island over and over, isn't that bordering on a scam?

Maybe that is just not implemented, yet.

I find the food system off... there is no way I should have to drink and eat like 5-6 coconuts a day in order to survive, plus a few small fish or crab. Maybe 2 coconuts and a fish or crab.

Hated that in The Long Dark, too.

Would you still recommend this game, if I am not much into finding food etc. all the time, but still would enjoy some islands and build little, realistic buildings?

• Check this out. Not to learn all the crafting recipes, but to see what can be built currently.

Stranded Deep is not about building for the sake of being a creative builder (although I'm sure you could cover an island with walls and roofs etc.. and make like a maze or something haha. It's about building stuff to help you survive being stranded on small tropical islands in the middle of the ocean. You will need to constantly look for food. Food level goes down quickly, especially if you swim or run a lot. You can deplete an island of all crabs, no more will come to my understanding. You can cut all the palm trees down, no more will spawn.

As you can see in the pictures in that link, the inflatable raft has a roof. This is probably something that is found on a sunken ship. So we can craft but also salvage items and use them.

I have yet to get on their forum to see what the devs are saying about the future, if we could do some planting of basic crops or something like that.

Anyways, I suggest this game just because it is actually bit of an unique experience. Maybe you want to wait a bit to see what comes of it....

Edit: just checked.. they don't have a forum currently.. comments on their site and steam stuffs. duh... lol

Edited once, last by ZaCormyr ().

• Thanks. Guess i will try it anyway, since I like the graphics ^^
    I kinda want to live like a tribal king on my own little island ^^ So yeah would be nice to plant some coconut palms etc. to make things a bit easier

• Lol, King of the crabs that actually would be awesome xD
    I don't want to rule anyone, I just want my own little island where I can build everything I want, bit of survival aspect is fine though, but I don't want to be afraid of dying every 10 minutes or having to search for food all the time.
    Well, guess I try it and if it is too much survival for me, lel, I'm gonna use some cheats or Cheat Engine ^^

• Without my raft(Since i lost it crossing over yesterday) i managed to swim over to an other island today, just swimming
    over and under water seems to be bether then going paddling across the map! lol

also killed a Tiger shark with my little skimply knife, ok took about 50 hit on the best and no retaliation on his part
    but he dead anyhow! lol

Reason it's so hard to cook a meal on the fire is cause you need to build sort of a tippy over the fire pit with logs and a rope!
    After you hang your crabs, fish, to cook on hit!

• I've been to several islands now. Made a raft which also disappeared and I had to swim the rest of the way. Gotta find rocks lol. Seems to be the main issue since there are only so many on each island. Yeah swimming seems to be faster, but of course you're always crapping yourself in fear of a shark. It is nerve-wracking! I don't scare easy but that game puts me on edge at times haha

Only way to get better stuff then the crap you can craft is by diving to sunken ships and searching them underwater while avoiding sharks and trying not to drown.

That said, I watched a video of someone doing what killem mentioned, hacking away at a tiger shark with no bites and it took forever. In fact the guy in the vid didn't manage to kill the shark before the video ended lol

Some islands are a bit bigger, not by much though. I hope for larger islands.

About the fire, yeah once I saw the crafting guide I realized there are better fires to make. But the fire still has an odd hit box, after they are finished try walking over one. It's like an inch tall but sure messes you up! lol

Game is worth it IMO.

• It is nerve-wracking! I don't scare easy but that game puts me on edge at times haha

Haha, yeah it is always the tension when nothing happens but you think that something might happen in the next moment. At least more than OMG there are zombies (unless they jumpscream in your face and then also just for a sec) ^^

Thanks for recomming the game, I am gonna buy it today.

• Zombies don't get to me at all. But swimming in the ocean and not knowing when a shark might pop out of nowhere, from multiple directions not just from behind... it's scary! I guess it helps that I have that fear already haha. I tried to swim in the ocean while I was in Mexico (playa del carmen) where there were for sure bull sharks around, and couldn't really do it haha

From what I've seen in vids about the sharks in the game, so far I haven't seen anyone get killed by a shark. So the fear is greater then the current threat. I hope the devs make them more dangerous. They should be grabbing onto your arm or leg at least and shaking your around like a rag-doll! lol I might just swim down deep to see if I can find a great white, see what they do to ya hehe

• I tried to swim in the ocean while I was in Mexico (playa del carmen) where there were for sure bull sharks around, and couldn't really do it haha

Lel, I was there, too and my problem was that the water was so dirty and I was sometimes afraid that there could be some animal under me. Also the ground was so low that I could walk to the end of the allowed swimming zone without sinking^^

I think it is quite good, if the sharks are not that dangerous, because I was afraid that I when I would go into the water I would die every 5 mins or so, but it they are actually too weak it is not good, too, ofc ^^

• Check photos on google maps of playa del carmen. super clear water. by the way, a bull shark can get you in like a meter of water.

In the game, I would prefer less but more powerful sharks. Then lots of wimpy sharks.

They just released an update with some whales!

• Check photos on google maps of playa del carmen. super clear water. by the way, a bull shark can get you in like a meter of water.

In the game, I would prefer less but more powerful sharks. Then lots of wimpy sharks.

They just released an update with some whales!

The water is not clear everywhere ^^

Yes, very good idea, guess time to enter the next forum^^
    Nice, I just started the game for the first time

• Ok I played 2 hours, was prety good, but it got boring fastly ^^ But I was not in the water, yet. :P
    It takes so long to build stuff and the other islands are so far away. Also, there is so little wood to build with.
    Next I am gonna try to use the raft to bring more logs to my "main" island. Hopefully they stay on it ^^

Another thing that is quiet bad is that you need so much ressources for some things and that it is hard to figure out crafting recipes without looking at a guide.
    But what I really like, is that it does not seem like you have to hunt for food and stuff so much, since there are many coconuts, and fish and water (rain) seem to be there nearly unlimited. Also it is good that those palnts which give you ropes regrow and that very fastly.
    Actually this game would need some bigger island far away that you had to reach or something

• Yeah it's serious resource management in some ways. I think they increased how many rocks are found on each island.. before it was hell. Yeah food is pretty easy to maintain. You can eat coconuts, crabs, potatoes and fish. But you can run out of a lot of it. Fresh water becomes a problem at times. A real problem.

You know you can build an axe and chop palm trees down right? But then you lose your coconut production hehe

Didn't know the leaves could be swung at things haha

Yes, go try to find a sunken ship to explore. Or several... you'll shit yourself first time a shark appears. Even with the music warning you (I hope they stop using the music...).

• You know you can build an axe and chop palm trees down right? But then you lose your coconut production hehe

Yeah i was doing this, did not even know that they regrow as well, I always chopped down the palms, because first time I climbed them up, I fell down because it is wierd how you have to go down >.<

Yes, go try to find a sunken ship to explore.

Will do, thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!