Keep RW Server Online

• Hey! So I finally got the server installed and its working perfectly. I got 1.5GB to it and I can play with my 5 friends pretty good but one issue. I can't leave it online, once I close my SSH console the server shuts down.

The commands I am doing to start my server is

Code
    cd /home/steam/risingworldserver
    ./linux_startscript.sh

The server starts fine but I can't keep it online at night. I'd like to be able to keep it online so that my friends in different time zones can play when they want to. I'd appreciate if someone could help me.

Thanks!

• The console is the server, ofc it shuts down if you close it. To leave it on you have to leave your PC on at all times there is no way around that unfortunately.

• This sounds like you're not running the RW server on your local machine, right? In this case you have to keep the server running of course (i.e. your dedicated server which runs the RW server), but there is no need to keep your PC online. You can use screen to detach the server process and keep it running in the background. If screen is installed on your server, you can just run the linux_screen.sh script :)

• Personally i prefer my systemd service script, just change it to your needs

Gamer aus Leidenschaft
    (Web) Entwickler aus Leidenschaft
    <3 Vater aus Leidenschaft <3
    (prio in aufsteigender Sortierung ;) )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Entweder man macht etwas richtig oder lässt es bleiben!
    2. Egal wie lange etwas dauert, Hauptsache es wird fertig (irgendwann)
    ------------------------
    Discord: Devidian#1334

• This sounds like you're not running the RW server on your local machine, right? In this case you have to keep the server running of course (i.e. your dedicated server which runs the RW server), but there is no need to keep your PC online. You can use screen to detach the server process and keep it running in the background. If screen is installed on your server, you can just run the linux_screen.sh script :)

Yeah, you're right. I am not running it on my local machine. I am running it on a 2GB VPS. I don't want to keep my PC online

The console is the server, ofc it shuts down if you close it. To leave it on you have to leave your PC on at all times there is no way around that unfortunately.

I don't want to leave my PC on all the time. I have a custom rig and I don't like leaving my PC on. I always turn my PC off at night unless I accidentally leave it on and fall asleep or have to download a game overnight.

• Renting a game server is definitely an easy solution, but of course there is no need to do that (since you already have a VPS). Just use screen as mentioned in my previous post, or alternatively check out the solution posted by @Devidian, this will solve the issue ;)

• I don't want to leave my PC on all the time. I have a custom rig and I don't like leaving my PC on. I always turn my PC off at night unless I accidentally leave it on and fall asleep or have to download a game overnight.

The reason I suggested renting a server is he didn't want to leave the comp on all night.

Renting a game server is definitely an easy solution, but of course there is no need to do that (since you already have a VPS). Just use screen as mentioned in my previous post, or alternatively check out the solution posted by @Devidian, this will solve the issue ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!