New here

• Hi all!
    Just registered to the website and the forums because I'm thinking about buying this game. Read lots of stuff on the Steam forums and some here as well. I'm aware of the long time in early access as well as the reasons for that and I am more or less convinced that I would not exactly need to worry about the game becoming abandoned. Also, while in its current state it's probably not 100% the game I'll sink that many hours into, I believe it's a very fun game and the upcoming update introducing aggressive NPCs will make it even more enjoyable for me.
    One question I do have is "where to buy best?". What are the downsides of buying here instead of buying via Steam? I figure the main advantage in buying on Steam would be being able to invite friends for online co-op ingame, right?

• You can invite friends even if you buy the standalone version. Steam just makes it a bit easier i.e. one button instead of having to give them your IP to connect to you.

If you buy on Steam then Steam gets a percentage of the money while here it all goes to the developer.

• Thanks for your answer. So there is actually no real advantage in buying via Steam. While we're talking about some percentage of the equivalent of two packs of cigarettes it's still money, isn't it? :D Buying standalone then ;)

• I think you'll be glad you decided to buy the game. As you say, its not complete yet by any means but there's certainly many hours of fun to be had, especially if you like to build bases, explore, treasure hunt, etc.

• Hello and welcome to the Forum.
    I'm not a friend of Steam, if you have several games installed and the update function is not issued, the games always want to be updated and synchronized, but most people use Steam and if you have friends there it's easier.

• Thank you for your responses. By now I did buy the standalone version, just I did not have that much time for playing the game. First impression after about two hours is what I thought, though. Quite sure I won't regret having spent that some Euros. ;D While I do know myself, I will try my best to not just lurk the forums but give feedback and post my findings and questions here. Will try to get into the game on my own before that, though.

Deirdre: I think I know where you're coming from, it took me some time myself to change my stance on it from "nope, not another company who just wants my data" to "well, it is in fact convenient, maybe I should care less". What you describe as negative is in a way a plus in my opionion, a huge part of my gaming library (way too many games, probably, if there is such a thing as too many games :/ ) is in one place and conveniently kept up to date.
    Plus, a huge point on the pro side, for me personnally, Steam came to my platform of choice after I said goodbye to the worse evil (for me) - Microsoft. ;)

• Just for reference you can actually turn off most stream features like cloud syncing:

1) In your Steam Library, right-click on a game and select "Properties."
    2) Click the "Updates" tab.
    3) Uncheck "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization."
    4) Click "Close."

Turn off updates

• Open your Steam client.
    • Head over to the Library tab present at the top of the screen. Now all your games will be listed in the left column of the screen.
    • Right click on the game you want to change the settings of and select Properties.
    • Once Properties is opened, head to the Updates tab located on the top of the window. Now you will see an option regarding automatic updates. After you click Automatic Updates, a drop down menu will appear and you will be able to choose from three options available.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!