Changelog 2019-03-12: New npcs, better AI, modded items

A big new update is now available, introducing biomes, caves and much more!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.0.3 (2024-02-21)
  • I am not sure if this is related to this update but there is now the option to include terrain in blueprinting.
    Is there no permission we can do to prohibit having players bringing and copying terrain into the server? It genuinely defeats our type of economy at present.

You can prevent the placement of blueprints. Im not sure how but it is done on most servers for exactly the reason you mention. Some even prohibit the crafting of the blueprints completely.

• Lets say I have two stacks of 16 of carrots and I go and open a barrel. In the barrel there is a stack of 4 carrots already in the barrel. I click on one of the stacks of 16 carrots in my bags to place the carrots into the barrel it will top off the stack of 4 to 16 then the remaining carrots disappear.

Thanks for letting me know! I wasn't exactly able to reproduce this issue, but it looks like something gets messed up when moving items from chest to inventory (or vice versa) in certain situations. This bug should be fixed with the next hotfix :)

Flowing water and ai needing to be hit more than once to kill for next update please

Unfortunately flowing water will not be ready with the next hotfix / update, but it's still on our to-do list ;) About the need to hit npcs more than once to kill them: Actually that was changed with one of the last hotfixes, at least bandits have more health points now. When it comes to skeletons, it really depends on the type of armor they wear.

Is there no permission we can do to prohibit having players bringing and copying terrain into the server?

We can add a "placeterrain" permission with the next hotfix :)

• Another hotfix is now available! It introduces some smaller changes and fixes a few bugs. It's necessary to update multiplayer servers accordingly ;)

Changelog 2019-03-25 (0.9.5.5):

• [New] Added console command "cleanup images" to delete all unused images
    • [New] Added console command "enablenpc" to re-enable an npc to spawn in the world that has been disabled before
    • [New] Added small icons to indicate if grid, modular snapping or manual positioning is active
    • [New] Added permission "placeterrain" (blueprints) to enable/disable placement of terrain via blueprints
    • [Change] Removed unnecessary debug output
    • [Bugfix] Fixed command "debugplayerbody" (for API)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed crash related to custom items
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issues when moving items from inventory to chest and vice versa (need feedback)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed npc collision issues if multiple construction elements are placed in a row
    • [Bugfix] Boats no longer move if the player is freezed (e.g. when outrunning world generation)
  • Thanks Red!! I will send you a PM. there is an issue related to this hotfix I don't want to share publicly as it is pvp exploit related.

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• Another hotfix is now available! It introduces some smaller changes and fixes a few bugs. It's necessary to update multiplayer servers accordingly ;)

Changelog 2019-03-25 (0.9.5.5):

• [New] Added console command "cleanup images" to delete all unused images
    • [New] Added console command "enablenpc" to re-enable an npc to spawn in the world that has been disabled before
    • [New] Added small icons to indicate if grid, modular snapping or manual positioning is active
    • [New] Added permission "blueprint_placeterrain" to enable/disable placement of terrain via blueprints
    • [Change] Removed unnecessary debug output
    • [Bugfix] Fixed command "debugplayerbody" (for API)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed crash related to custom items
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issues when moving items from inventory to chest and vice versa (need feedback)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed npc collision issues if multiple construction elements are placed in a row
    • [Bugfix] Boats no longer move if the player is freezed (e.g. when outrunning world generation)

how would the permissions for teraign in the blueprint section look?

blueprints:
    use: true
    blueprint_placeterrain: false
    create: true

does this look correct?

• I think the furnace might be bugged. It doesn't seem to be consuming fuel at a consistent rate. It seems like if I walk away from the furnace for a while to go mining, I come back and hardly any fuel has been consumed. I'm running a small furnace and put in 2 coal at a time for 80 fuel and I believe it's been 70 of fuel to smelt one load so figure I wont waste too much per load without having to monitor it closely.

• how would the permissions for teraign in the blueprint section look?

Oh, sorry for the confusion! Actually the permission key is only called "placeterrain", but it belongs to the "blueprints" section, e.g:

Code
    blueprints:
    use: true
    create: true
    placeterrain: false

I think the furnace might be bugged. It doesn't seem to be consuming fuel at a consistent rate. It seems like if I walk away from the furnace for a while to go mining, I come back and hardly any fuel has been consumed

Hmm... that's strange oO Did it happen in singleplayer or multiplayer? Maybe the fuel indicator is just wrong? Is the fuel level still the same when reloading the world / reconnecting to the server? Basically the fuel consumption should always be update, no matter where you are. But the consumption always fluctuates a little.

• Hmm... that's strange oO Did it happen in singleplayer or multiplayer? Maybe the fuel indicator is just wrong? Is the fuel level still the same when reloading the world / reconnecting to the server? Basically the fuel consumption should always be update, no matter where you are. But the consumption always fluctuates a little.

I'll have to run some experiments to give you a scientifically sound answer but my general observation was that the consumption varied greatly... in some cases it took about 40 units to smelt a load of 24 ores. But good to know this is the new norm.

• Some Stuff I've Noticed:

1) Player - When the player is turning the camera in-game close to constructions, objects or walls a black layer becomes visible on either side of the camera when moving the camera either right or left. Not sure if this is a bug or if it's what may be causing it. Some feedback on the config on what may be causing the black flickering would be greatly appreciated.

2) World Generation - When I started Season 5 it was on a new world before the enemies were added. Since then I've noticed that in some locations the ocean cuts into plains instead of the generation flowing with it. I know the world generation will be fixed eventually but I just wanted to point this out.

3) Enemies - Are they restricted to a specific biome? I cranked the bandits up to 200 and reduced the rats & dungeon NPCs to 25% and yet the bandits only seem to love jumping down large caverns and getting stuck there but only in the mountains. Can they please be allowed to spawn in the plains & brushlands as well? If in the winter biome or others perhaps different clothing to suit the environment?

4) Animal Grazing - Okay I love this herd mentality, but I want to ask if there's a possibility if pigs, boars & piglets could be added as their own faction? What I mean by faction is they live together but can be aggressive towards one another if one adult boar comes in contact with another pack and wants to assume leadership role? Nature vs. Nurture. Perhaps more animals that act within this same behavior? Example: Mama Bear really doesn't like it when humans get close to her cubs. At the moment they just haul at you without provocation. Animal AI?

*Other than this I love the updates keep up the amazing work! Having protagonists in the game really helps bring it to life.

• The goto console command is not working for me anymore, such as "goto -1400 -102" just me or is this the same for everyone?

Same issue here. When typing in coordinates, i get the response: "Player juggernaut not found"

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• The goto console command is not working for me anymore, such as "goto -1400 -102" just me or is this the same for everyone?

Unfortunately the goto command is broken, it will be fixed with the next hotfix :saint:

When I started Season 5 it was on a new world before the enemies were added. Since then I've noticed that in some locations the ocean cuts into plains instead of the generation flowing with it

Hmm... what do you mean exactly with "the ocean cuts into plains"? Can you maybe post a screenshot of the issue?

3) Enemies - Are they restricted to a specific biome?

Currently bandits only spawn in regular forests (pine forests and mixed forests). But they only spawn if there is no other bandit or animal in close proximity.

Okay I love this herd mentality, but I want to ask if there's a possibility if pigs, boars & piglets could be added as their own faction? What I mean by faction is they live together but can be aggressive towards one another if one adult boar comes in contact with another pack and wants to assume leadership role?

Currently we have no plans for that unfortunately, but something like that may be added in the future ;) There is at least something similar planned for human npcs.

• Another very small hotfix is now available which fixed a few smaller issues. Update is optional for servers but it's recommendable to update them as well.

Changelog 2019-03-26:

• [Bugfix] Fixed npcs sometimes being invisible in multiplayer
    • [Bugfix] Fixed "goto" command
    • [Bugfix] Fixed sitting position on some seats
  • Behind me is the ocean but also what we are looking at is the ocean cutting through a bank and into a plains biome before going up hill again to a forest biome. I can fix this in creative mode and I plan to this is a screenshot of what I was talking about.

• I hadn't played this game for a while, so I fired it up about three hours ago.

Many things changed. Things got a little more complicated, and confusing. I spent a while figuring out how I could craft a chest (it was a basic crafting thing before if I remember correctly). And I just exited the game about 5 minutes ago out of frustration (again).

Pros

• Lots of new content, animals, crafting, etc.
    • New ambiance music is nice
    • Freezing over night is annoying, but realistic and nice
    • Hunger does not go down as fast as before, and it avoids spending countless hours looking for food all the time
    • Bleeding eventually stop, so when I got attacked by a bear, I did not just die out of my blood (though came very close to)

Cons

• Confusing crafting. I actually have ideas about that, but considering how my ideas felt in deaf ears before, meh (prove me wrong, @red51)
    • I killed the damn bear, but by the time I went empty my inventory I came back (about 3 minutes)... the damn bear's body was gone!
    • I placed some rocks to fill a hole... felt through anyway (the rock) and died with inventory full of things I had spent precious time collecting. When I came back (2 minutes later) my body was NO WHERE to be found. I lost everything. (I did quit at this point)

I did not play longer to evaluate anything else. It was pretty much : spend 3 hours crafting and collecting ores and resources, making tools, etc. then I died and lost EVERYTHING. It takes too long to craft some damn storage!!!

Anyway. X(

• Confusing crafting

What's confusing about it? 8|

but by the time I went empty my inventory I came back (about 3 minutes)... the damn bear's body was gone

This can be change on the server.properties file.

Code
    settings_deadnpc_despawntime=

When I came back (2 minutes later) my body was NO WHERE to be found

These can be change on the server.properties file too.

Code
    settings_deadplayers_despawntime=

I suspect the settings are default so low, because they stop low spec machines getting bogged down. If your server/machine can handle it, whack these numbers right up!

The integers represent seconds.

So,

settings_deadplayers_despawntime=900
    settings_deadnpc_despawntime=900

Would give you 15 minutes until they despawn.

• Behind me is the ocean but also what we are looking at is the ocean cutting through a bank and into a plains biome before going up hill again to a forest biome

Oh, thanks for the screenshot! This is indeed a bug in the world generator, but unfortunately we cannot fix it without breaking old worlds :S Nevertheless, it's on our to-do list!

I hadn't played this game for a while, so I fired it up about three hours ago.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

I spent a while figuring out how I could craft a chest (it was a basic crafting thing before if I remember correctly)

Actually we didn't change the crafting recipe for the chest. AFAIK in the early days (2014) the chest was also available at the workbench, but since then it's only craftable at the sawbench.

I actually have ideas about that, but considering how my ideas felt in deaf ears before, meh

Just because something is not implemented straight away does not mean it fell on deaf ears ;) Sometimes there are good reasons why something is not implemented immediately, instead we put it on the back burner.

The crafting mechanic and everything that's related to it date back to the early days. It is our intention to rework it, but unfortunately we have no ETA for that yet.

When I came back (2 minutes later) my body was NO WHERE to be found. I lost everything. (I did quit at this point)

In singleplayer, the despawn times can be changed in the settings (see "Miscellaneous" -> "Corpse Despawn Time"). In multiplayer it can be changed in the server.properties file, as mentioned by @yahwho

The default value is set to 30 minutes (1800 seconds), but around 1 year ago, we had a much smaller default value (5 or 10 minutes). If you still have an old "config.properties" file in your game directory, there is probably still that low value set (while we may change certain default values with a new update, we usually never touch existing settings).

Alternatively you can check the "Keep Inventory" box in the settings, then you won't lose your inventory upon death ^^

but by the time I went empty my inventory I came back (about 3 minutes)... the damn bear's body was gone!

Npc bodies are also affected by the "Corpse despawn time" (as mentioned above), so if it's set to a very low value in your case, that may be the reason why the body was gone...

It takes too long to craft some damn storage!!!

I agree that it would be a good thing to have some sort of very basic chest / primitive chest (or maybe a "stash"), however, basically it doesn't take that long to craft a storage. Both the workbench and sawbench just require lumber. Once you have the sawbench (which requires you to cut down 3-4 trees in total, which is manageable with the starter tool), you can craft most chests with lumber (you only need iron for the metal chest).

• [New] Command "deleteallnpcs" now optionally accepts a type and range constraint

This works nicely, but it still deleted my tamed horse. No biggy. I was a little saddened, but spawned him back in with a saddle. Repopulated the saddle bag. All the horses, pigs, and sheep are now RIP'd. Well, not all, but most. It also wouldn't register cows for some reason. A moose attacking me also statued again when attacking me... They always statue when attacking so I put it out of its misery by shooting it to eventually hanging it up on a wall.

I have a "No Moose Kill" policy because of how majestic they are. They're like the guardians of the forest. Two of them however decided to attack me because of self defense against a bear...... And bandits.

Rising World was playing mostly smoothly with any stuttering being on me end at this point. Things are smoothing out glad things are working out.

• In singleplayer, the despawn times can be changed in the settings (see "Miscellaneous" -> "Corpse Despawn Time"). In multiplayer it can be changed in the server.properties file, as mentioned by @yahwho
    The default value is set to 30 minutes (1800 seconds), but around 1 year ago, we had a much smaller default value (5 or 10 minutes). If you still have an old "config.properties" file in your game directory, there is probably still that low value set (while we may change certain default values with a new update, we usually never touch existing settings).

Alternatively you can check the "Keep Inventory" box in the settings, then you won't lose your inventory upon death ^^

The problem is that I was playing on someone else's server, and there was no one around. I actually have no idea what the timeout is/was. I still find it cheap to have the inventory lost. Anyway. Perhaps this is out of your control, but still pisses me off, and does not encourage me to launch the game to waste my time like this.

And another point I forgot to mention; I was cooking some meat and there are absolutely NO WAY to tell if the meat is ready, but to look at it until it is cooked. And the time period between "cooked" and "burned" is very small. In other words, I burn the meat 50% of the time. On the other hand, as I was cooking the meat during the day, but then night came, I could not see if the meat was cooked because of the fire (and the meat is grey or something against the light of the fire), so I had to pick up the meat, notice that it was still raw, place it back, and had to wait again..... The time seemed to be reset!! Holy Crap! It took nearly half a day to cook the damn thing! Should be able to have some gauge, or some idea of when the meet'd be cooked. For example, have the character make a sound (like sniffing for smell) when the meat is ready, or whatever... better yet, have indicators saying that the meet is "rare", "medium", "cooked", etc. or something. It's just annoying.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!