Beams and planks not rotating properly​

A big new update is now available, introducing biomes, caves and much more!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.0.3 (2024-02-21)
  • Since the last update, with the addition of bandits, I've had issues with the advanced construction. Beams and planks are not rotating like they used to. One of the axis points is duplicated I think. Also, the texture id 25 (bricks) is mixed with id 21(stone). There may be similar things of this nature though I've just noticed this because I cannot finish a project that I had started, due to the mechanics problems. On a side note, all of the items for that project have disappeared from my inventory. I'm a noob so I'm hoping I am explaining myself alright.

• I'm sorry; I do not understand. If I have a wood plank, it should rotate in 3 different axis directions. It only does 2 directions so I cannot make a shelf, for example. Also, when using the console commands like '~ item woodplank id ___' the item texture is always the number 21 block, instead of whatever texture is typed in.

• if you open the console command line you can enter i.e. roate local to switch the way planks, beams, etc. get rotated.

i also strongly suggest you to use the plugin "planks and beams". it makes a builders life so much easier. it is no cheat neither as it just transfers all the annoying manual commands into a graphic overview. for survival you can even set a certain "cost" per object (i.e. stone, wood, iron, copper, etc.)

i can just confirm from my side that the rotation works fine. just sometimes hitting the right arrow-key resets the angle. but thats an old bug

• Right, that is the console command I am talking about. On my end, I can put in the texture number and no matter what number I input I get the texture number 21 (stone).

• thats really strange. are you sure? if the toolbelt is full it will spawn somewhere in your inventory. i also sometimes look desperately for the one i currently spawned and dont see it. then i take off one item from the toolbelt and put it somewhere else int he inventory, so i have a free spot. when i then spawn something it will be in the toolbelt.

• I agree that it is odd and I don't understand enough about computers to troubleshoot it. My inventory is not full and I recieve the plank or beam requested, but the texture is wrong. It makes it hard to do the detail work on my brick building if I cannot match the texture. Even if this issue were to be solved though, I would not be able to proceed because I cannot rotate a wood plank horizontally like a shelf. It will turn in the other directions but not onto that axis point. I guess I am hoping to figure out plugins now so I can continue with the game.

• The default rotation mode is "legacy", it's basically a mixture of local and world rotation. In "local" mode, the rotation axis aligns to the element (i.e. the element always rotates around its local axis), in "world" mode, the rotation axis is fixed (i.e. the element rotates around world axis). Changing the rotation mode can help in certain situations, but if you want to go back to the default "legacy" mode, type rotation legacy into console, as suggested by @Avanar ;) Alternatively try the "local" or "world" mode.

Also please have a look if the building key bindings are set up properly. To do that, go to the settings -> controls and have a look at the "Building - Placement" section. By default, the forward/backward/left/right bindings are covered by the arrow keys (up/down/left/right) and the up/down binding is covered by the page up / page down keys (pgup/pgdn).

When using the default key bindings, you can use your arrow up / down keys to rotate the element around the x axis, the arrow left / right keys for the y axis, and the page up / page down keys for the z axis.

• Judging from the way you wrote the spawn command above "item woodplank id ___" you are using it the wrong way around and thus as expected always get texture number 21. You should use it as Avanar wrote above "item woodplank ___ id" where the gap is the number you want.

Now about the rotation if you switch to local using the "rotation local" command it will probably be much easier for you to rotate thing around the way you want. When using legacy rotation (i.e. the default mode) you need to be careful which direction you rotate towards from as it takes into account 6 axes (global and local ones) and not just 3 (local ones).

• I feel really stupid. Most of what you guys are saying I do not understand. Never the less, my husband put the plugin into my computer and it solved the problems I was having. I don't know if it is me, or the update, or my computer files that are causing my issues but I have a work-around so I am good. Thanks for the help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!