Posts by ConJon

It's an interesting idea, sort of reminds me of the settlement system in Fallout 4. If we could have settlers, guards and other types of people come by our checkpoints, that would be cool as well. Having to build tents outside for the visitors to sleep in and making a small marketplace guarded by mercenaries or NPC friends would be a cool addition in my mind, alongside some small shacks or buildings for locals to live in. I also like how we have the same idea of Rising World being inhabited by both medieval and somewhat modern cultures at the same time.

And actually, that radio idea could be taken a step further by having communication between NPCs and the player or even other players across a distance, maybe even between checkpoints. That could be a suggestion for another thread though.

I know I'm late to the party by a while but I thought I'd drop in my two cents.

If there was to be an economy system, and I'm not against bartering mind you, it would need to be something quite substantial and dynamic.

Let's say for instance that there was a small town near the woods, home to lumberjacks and hunters and they had a trade, or were owned by, a larger town, keep, city or military compound, whatever it may be. They delivered supplies there so if you went to either one you could by furs and logs, but buying furs and logs straight from the source might be cheaper, or it might be even more cheaper if you bought it from the larger town if they had an overstock, maybe the smaller town gave them too much and they didn't know what to do with it. Then you go to another town a while away and they'll buy your pelts, furs and other items for double the price of what you bought it for as they don't have a smaller town that supplies them and have to make do with buying and selling.

Now let's shake things up a bit. Let's say that, one day, the caravan that normally passes by your base every week carrying valuable goods (muskets, bows, other weapons or tools, whatever it may be), but this time they don't. You go to the town where you can normally buy some musket/rifle bullets for one coin a bullet or fifty coins a rifle, for example. Unfortunately, the town or factory that supplied them has been attacked by bandits, raiders, monsters, jellybean men, that sort of thing. Now they can't get their supplies until they take that town back and either save the population or repopulate the place with settlers. Those bullets that were dirt cheap before? Ten to fifteen coins each. The rifles? 150 coins please, we can't make them ourselves and only have thirty left.

But I like bartering as well. See that survival compound all the way up in the mountains with generators, solar panels and guys armed with scoped rifles? They don't care about money, they want nothing to do with all the other people out there. All they're concerned about is their crops, their hunting, their safety and the small groups of people that wander to and from the survival compound trading valuable scrap stuff for food. What do they trade? Well, like some other people above me suggested with fish and stuff, they want solar panels. What do you get in return? Food, water, advanced technology (solar panels and the like, obviously no spaceship stuff as these guys can barely keep their clothes stitched together), that sort of thing. Stuff for stuff basically, with stuff that's more valuable getting you more stuff of a lesser value, like a bullet for five apples or something.

This is all from a purely single-player perspective, as I don't play multiplayer at all (yet). Plus, that's all advanced stuff and I don't know if even a big dev team could make something that dynamic, but that's the way I'd see an economy system working, plus bartering as well. I suppose you could also take this system and make it a multiplayer type of thing, but it would need to be something like EVE: Online to be a true economy system with players running guilds, kingdoms, whatever.

But yeah, that's my idea. Not quite sure if that's what you wanted but it's the first idea that sprang to mind after reading your post and I had to write it down before I forgot it.

I'm looking forward to NPCs, but I'm also looking forward to the stuff they'll bring to the table in the future. Perhaps we'll have villages and towns of different cultures and technology, for example a small nomadic looking village with tepees or yurts, all the way up to a survival compounds with rifles, electricity and bunkers. Getting harassed by angry natives with bows or having a long range firefight in the forest with muskets or rifles against more modern foes would be interesting to me.

And then obviously there's the possibility of being friendly with these guys, learning what they know such as how to build yurts from the nomads or learning how to make a generator or a rifle from the survivalists. These are just some ideas, I could go on and talk about more crazy ideas like underground bunkers filled with high tech equipment and scientists or ruined, overgrown towns with some nomads or survivors living in the rubble.

Jesus, that subreddit had me giggling. I love storm clouds personally, I can't wait for those in the future to hopefully roll over the landscape and bring down rain as they go.

It has arrived my friends! Let the world rejoice and the water flow!

Nice to see Rising World get an update when Red51 said it would. So many games give a date and don't stick to it, so it's nice to have seen that happen twice since I've bought the game a couple of months ago. Good job guys at JIW Games, and thanks for the update!

Ah, I see. That would be a really eerie sight to see. Maybe some of them could be empty, perhaps eroded at some point and all of the lava gone or hardened, allowing the player to build tunnels in them. Could carry a risk; do I dig it out and find out if its empty and risk flooding the place with lava, or do I leave it be and go back the way I came?

I just watched a bit of the video. Thanks for sharing that, it's really interesting. Yeah, maybe once temperature is in, geode caves can be really hot and difficult to move through without either drilling a hole to the surface to vent the heat, if that's ever a thing, or wearing a protective, air-conditioned suit of some sort.

If there is special clothing to use when going into hell, it should totally be called the "Helldiver's Armour". A little half-reference to Halo there!

How about dangers associated with the crystals? Perhaps one type of crystal could give of a radioactive/magical (whatever you like) effect, so you have to don protective gear to go mine it.

If sickness gets added, maybe even exposure to the crystals could bring about long term (like a status effect that lasts a while basically) health complications, to give you something to think about before you go mining for them. So imagine getting lost in a cave with a gieger counter/detector in the darkness without a light and just hearing it start beeping the closer you got. That might add an element of environmental fear.

So the idea is that lava tubes will be visible whilst in hell like in that dA image? That would be interesting and a fancy sight to see.

Wow, you guys are having crazy dreams. I usually have either surreal as all hell or scary dreams that leave me going "whoa!" in the morning. Dreams are great for inspiration as well, I've written a bunch of story worlds based on them. Haven't had any about games for a while, although I did get a nightmare when I was younger, years ago mind you, and playing Halo 2 with my pal.

Eight hours in, straight, and we were fighting the Flood and that night I had a horrible dream I was trapped inside the covenant mother-ship/city ship (I forget its name) as I was being chased by the flood combat forms. It was also my first lucid dream as I realised none of it was real, made myself a shotgun out of thin air and was able to fly up into the air and shoot them all.

I had a couple of others; one where I was shot and actually felt the bullet punch me in the gut, and another where I was trying to film a giant bat out in some garden at night with a camcorder as it swooped around in the darkness, like some hardcore Ghost Adventures investigation. I also got pounced on by a giant werebat thing as well at one point, all I remember was pleading for my life until I woke up in a cold sweat.