Posts by CrystalTears83

Any idea what this is? The GPS is working... I get the little degrees and numbers for N and E and the height but not the nice little gui.

So this is a pretty short question really. Browsed the forums and didn't see another. Although I apologize if I missed where this has been answered before. Anyway. I see we have COWS now. Neat! Are they still just for eating or can they be tamed and milked?

Thanks in advance!

Actually, Crystal wasn't taking about a different "game mode", just an idea for a different tool. I don't know whether she miss-labeled the thread, or you decided to talk about 'game modes'.
    Doesn't matter.

I wouldn't mind a Quest Mode (if nothing else it would start off being a good tutorial), but the only problem I have with quests is that they end. I mean, quests don't go on forever, and there isn't an 'endless' number of quests. Eventually you "win" (like it's possible to 'win' a sandbox game), and some people like the idea of 'winning'. Course, as it is, there's no winning- but no losing either.

I do agree it would take a lot of work and maybe cool to add in the future.

I didn't mislabel anything as I was not the OP :P For whatever reason something made me think of the tool suggestion and so I suggested it in my reply.

+1 I love this :D It would add sooo much depth to the game and to me that really wouldn't feel like the same old 'quest' type stuff if done properly. Especially if you could get AI assistance/workers, etc from doing tasks for them and earning favor or whatever with them.

?
    A 'tamper' is used to compress already flat ground, so that you can put something on top (ie, bricks or "pavers") without worrying about any settling. We already have a Rake that smooths out ground (and rocks).
    But I see what you're eluding to- I think you'd like a tool that flattens out a broader area (like to build a house on, etc.). I could go for that.

Okay. I'm just going to go over here and hide in the corner now.

That list sounds straight out of MC. I want to play a different, unique game.

I wouldn't know. I never played MC. I lived through those graphics way back when they were the best there was. I do not ever want to see those kinds of graphics again and I cannot believe people willingly expose themselves to them lol.

I like the idea of leaving something in the pen to lure them in, like their favorite food. But it would be nice if the herding option was available also. Or maybe herding works for some, but others you need to lure...

Maybe add the ability to herd them after they're tamed? :)

I've thought about this for games like these before. What would be cool would add onto that would be the option of if there is some sort of in-game currency that the villagers use and you can earn by trading with them... if you could say hire 2 or 4 or 6 unemployed villagers to come help you work. It could be done fairly easily much like a certain foresty game does with their ghost blueprints. You could lay out ghost blueprints of things that you want done. Say... a fence along the south border of your land. You could lay down the ghost guide and then just click on it and have an option like "Assign Duty" and they'll go and gather up wood and build the fence for you while you go off and work on building your house or your barn or whatever.

This could work both on multi and singleplayer but it would be rather ambitious, :P

This is something that players could use optionally and wouldn't be required of anyone. Myself I tend to get stuck doing all the work while my buddies and brother goof off and don't do much. So I would loooove to have some help sometimes on some things and paying honest working AI villagers would delight me to no end. Also if something like storage houses were added, you could click the storage house and do something like "Assign Gather Wood" or something to get help with gathering resources. Sometimes that part gets a little old/grindy for me when I just want to buildbuildbuild. But if I can earn money and hire helpers, well then, all the better!

There is a sim game (I'll let you figure it out) that allows you to have hundreds if not thousands of any type of animal. The thing is, it only renders about 10 of them. If you have less than 10, it only shows the exact amount you have. You can have as many as you can afford (to buy and/or feed), but the game only ever has to show 10 actual rendered critters. Makes for far less lag. You could do the same and just once you lead or push or lure the animals in, a little sign pops up on the gate with an image of a COW for example. Then you could just toggle that sign (as if opening a chest) to see your stats. Food, number of animals, births, deaths, etc. Without lag and without limiting the player.

I personally would LOVE to see taming animals be done in a realistic way. You have to lay out treats, get them used to coming to eat. Lure them into gated pasture and let them get used to being in there, then once you have some pretty much staying in there most of the time, you can close the gate and begin to actually tame them at that point. It makes the process longer and more real. Plus you get to login every day and see how many new critters you've lured into your pasture. Which just makes the game more exciting and rewarding, I think.

Side Note: I LOVE the idea of thieving raccoons. It'd be cool if you could make those pets as well because raccoons are adorable. MONSTERS, but adorable. :P

I hope to see tamable:
    Horses that can be ridden and trained and bred and ALL that. (I've been dying for a game that actually incorporates horse breeding with different breeds that actually impact how the horses act and move and stuff. Draft horses for working, etc. Clydesdales! Please! Please Dev GODS gimmie Clydesdales!) ;)
    Dogs,
    Cows,
    Pigs,
    Wolves (Even tamable ones! Wolves make better guard-beasts if you can tame them without dying!)
    Donkeys -- Would move slower but could carry larger loads perhaps?
    Mules -- Same as above.
    Chickens.
    Sheep (Wool coats anyone?)
    I'm probably forgetting loads of important food/clothing animals.

Different animals are attracted to different stuff maybe? Like you could make hay bales for cows, salt licks for horses, slop for pigs, goats.... um... anything and everything? I don't know lol :D

I just hope that when you implement something for flattening the ground, you use something that actually makes sense such as:

A ground tamper:
    Because that's what it's actually MADE for. :D I've played tons of crafting/building/survival type games and so far I haven't seen a single one use an actual ground tamper for flattening the ground. This would be easy to model and fits in perfectly with the tools already available to you from the beginning. :)

Crystal