Posts by Daxst3r

Appears to be fixed by update KB4345459, which appears to have to be installed manually.

MS introduced some bug that prevented ports being released properly when shutting down the program using it, causing the program to hang such that it couldn't be closed even by force.

^^ Thanks, im not sure what I can do about it, but if you see at the bottom:

When an administrator tries to stop the World Wide Web Publishing Service (W3SVC), the W3SVC remains in a "stopping" state, but cannot fully stop or be restarted.

This is effectively what happens to the Apache and FTP servers that are running, I don't run RW as a service, but the effect is the same.

Unfortunately the fix currently breaks the NIC, which could have knock on effects with other stuff i'm doing, so I think it's a case of waiting for MS to get their house in order, rather than messing with stuff that isn't broken.

How do you restart the server exactly? If you just kill the process, it may take a few seconds (in some cases) until the ports are freed, depending on the network implementation of the OS. If you shutdown the server by using the shutdown command, it also takes a few seconds, since all connections are closed gracefully and the world is saved before the process is terminated.

I'm running the server in a console window via a .bat file, a second hidden console window runs a monitoring script that watches the internet connection and also runs timed restarts by sending keys "exit" to the RW window, it waits 120 seconds, calls steamcmd update, waits for that to finish and then sends "start" to the same window.

The .bat file for running the server contains a loop, so when it's stopped it waits for a command and then loops back to the top of the .bat file to start the server again.

set /p cm=Enter Command:

if %cm% equ start (
    goto :startrw
    ) else (
    exit
    )

The reason I did this is because whilst I have a good connection speed, I have a dynamic IP and RW gets really upset if my connection drops and the IP changes, so if my IP changes, the monitoring script initiates a restart before RW server realises anything is wrong.

As I say, it appears that Java goes nuts and then messes up my other services that use Java, but only those on common ports (21 and 80).

It's just did it again, the problem is Java related I believe, there remains an instance of Java open after the server stops, with the RW server ports bound (TCPView), this stops the server from starting again and I believe messes up Apache and filezilla when they both restart some time later (everything restarts between 2am and 4am).
    The hung Java process can't be closed, even with taskkill /f, the only way is to completely shutdown and restart the machine.

All of this seems to have started after the last weeks windows update.

Also I run my server on a Windows machine at home, this works just fine and has done for a long time despite much turning up of noses. I primarily run a HTTP server and FTP server (personal cloud), but I also like to run vanilla game servers for indy games, (anything not too resource intensive) for anyone who wants to play without all the crazy stuff.

java.net.bindexception: Address already in use: bind

and then a load of other stuff

Server has been working fine for quite some time now, it auto restarts, auto updates and looks after itself.

This problem seems quite recent and also coincides with problems with my Apache and FTP server crashing on the same machine (which I had assumed was caused by a Windows update).

Does RW do anything on port 80? or port 21?

I'm hoping that fixing this will also fix the problems with my Apache and FTP servers.

Restarting the machine fixes everything, until about 2am the next day and then it all falls over again.

I got a db is locked the other night. All I had to do was restart the server and it was fixed.

It does sometimes, but the problem is I can go several days without even looking at the server.

I have another recent issue with strange errors apparently triggered by clients doing an ALT+F4 instead of disconnecting properly, server then falls over and disappears from the server list. But it's random and hard to pin point..........

I'm now working on a way of creating a script to read the log files, pick out keywords, identify when something goes wrong and do an automated restart.... Unfortunately this is where I run out of skill, as i've never been very good at automatically parsing log file data.

^^

I have noticed a Java related error sometimes when shutting the server down, I wonder if this is keeping the DB as read only?

I have scripting that obtains my external IP for various other types of server I run, I tried to get that working with RW to automatically fill in the server_ip field, but it was a little tricky to do. I'll just go with blank!

I'm also going to add an Attrib -r %RWserverpath% /s /d to my monitoring and auto restart batch script, to ensure the files are not ready only whenever the server starts.

Hopefully this will sort it all out! :)

I run a server at home from a machine on my network, i've been running this quite successfully for well over a year, but suddenly i'm getting these database locked errors....

org.sqlite.SQLiteException: [SQLITE_BUSY] The database file is locked (database is locked)
    at org.sqlite.core.DB.newSQLException(DB.java:909)
    at org.sqlite.core.DB.newSQLException(DB.java:921)
    at org.sqlite.core.DB.throwex(DB.java:886)
    at org.sqlite.core.DB.exec(DB.java:155)
    at org.sqlite.jdbc3.JDBC3Connection.commit(JDBC3Connection.java:174)
    at y.a.a(SourceFile:314)
    at C.i.a(SourceFile:87)
    at C.a.a(SourceFile:201)
    at D.n.execute(SourceFile:39)
    at z.b.run(SourceFile:24)

Repeated over and over again.

I tried the server_ip, which was set to default 0.0.0.0, changed this to 127.0.0.1, the server then fails to show up in the server list.
    I changed server_ip to my DNS (as I have a dynamic ip), same result.
    Changed back to 0.0.0.0 and still won't show in the list (wtf????? mind f**k)

Connected via internal IP address 192.168.1.??, still got the locked errors.

Went into the worlds folder, selected and viewed properties and found it all "read only", I deselected that and found it resolved the locked database locally, but now I can't see my server in the main list.

I don't understand why even with changing back to the original working config, my server has now disappeared :(

But your using stone blocks, thats what I dont understand..... At 3:30 in that video, thats a stone block and it's being resized/rotated?

Or is there some way to make the wood look like stone?

Along these lines, i've been running a server for 3 months now.
    I didn't really like all the servers out there with the OTT scripting that detracted from the game experience or having to walk for hours to get out of some giant city, so I set up my own server with the goal of keeping it simple (KISS principle), BUT this area protection thing, it's becoming a real PITA having to physically go in game to set up areas for players.

What is the setting that allows players to set their own areas? Perhaps limited to one area per player and/or a size limit?

All my regular players tell me they did it on other servers. I could edit the script to simply remove the admin restriction, but that doesn't seem like a solution. In fact there are a lot of things I get asked about which just don't seem to exist, it's like there's this wall of silence standing in the way of anyone wanting to run their own server.

Edit - I also want to know if it's possible to define an area within a protected area where players can access items in chests/etc. For example my server start area is protected, but I want to get players off to a good start by putting canteens and flashlights in a chest for them to take, I don't want some idiot destroying the chest or my start area so it has to heave protection.
    Perhaps I could create a special group and somehow add all players to it (without knowing names)?

Can someone please explain how to rotate and resize the stone blocks, it makes no sense, OP doesn't even have those stone blocks in their working inventory, instead shuffles wood beams about and a stone block magically appears, and when I place blocks I see an outline not the block itself.