Posts by Phaewryn

So, I finally got my PC built, and I'm moving onto the next build now and I happen to be in the process of building a home server for some VM testbed/development type things and I'm curious about popping a RW server onto it alongside its other tasks. Does one need a dedicated machine for running a RW server for public access (on the server list), or can one run one on a VM? How about alongside an Ubuntu server running LAMP? Are there any conflicts I should be aware of in that configuration? Is there any reason why one couldn't run multiple RW servers on VMs assuming you had enough CPU and RAM in the system? I read the recommended specs for a server in the forums and the requirements seem pretty light. Is anyone running multiple servers on a single machine using VMs? If so, what are your specs?

Also, is a 600mbps symmetrical internet speed going to be sufficient? I'm supposed to have gigabit but it never performs to full spec.

Also, how does one deal with downtime when hosting a public game server? What if I lose power? How does that effect users? I can't promise 24/7 uptime. Is there a manual on how to be a good RW admin? (having never hosted a public server before, I need to know the etiquette and policies)