Posts by Revermight

The game still feels empty in survival aspect. After settling down and making a sustainable crop field there's no challenge in surviving. The only left thing to do then is constructing buildings which is technically creative mode with limitations. Here are some challenges to add to the survival aspect.

Animal

-all animals notice you from farther distance
    -passive animals are rarer
    -aggressive animals have better path finding AI that can follow you behind walls. Also they try to break through doors or windows if they find no other way in. For that, doors and windows should have hit points.
    -all animals have higher hit points

Temperature
    -different biomes and weathers have different temperature and you need different clothes to adjust to the environment.
    -wetness. Rain and staying in water increases the wetness of the clothing of the character, which translates into body temperature. different clothes have different water proof value and umbrella significantly reduces the rate of getting wet.
    Staying near fire decreases the wetness value.

Nutrition
    -Different foods have different nutritional value which combine to set the character's nutrition which translates to different impacts like faster or slower reduction of hunger value and different rate of health regeneration. Cooked foods are more nutritional than raw foods. There are various cooking recipes and the more complex the recipes the more nutritional.

Sleep needs

Crafting consumes time

Encumbrance(encourages transport)

If the players don't like these they could always play creative mode.

I do know there are construction elements that enables more detailed construction than minecraft, but for this project I chose to stick to blocks cause internal frameworks of East Asian buildings are very complicated and it was much easier for me to construct with just blocks to get the feel of how I'm going to go about it. After several projects I might try using beams and planks and so on.

campfires are lighted by fuel and run out over time

other fire-based-lightings can be put on and out

lamps and electric lights can be turned on and off after being placed

Rotatable half block
    One whole block is for some purposes too thick to use as a wall part. Structure frameworks consisting of beams and logs which are thinner than a whole block get hidden in the one block thick wall or only visible in either side. Many users resize the beams into a half block shape and size and use them as wall parts to tackle this problem. It could be more convenient if half blocks themselves could be rotated and used as wall parts.

Half slanted/half normal block stacking
    You know this problem when you build a roof you can't stack a half slanted block onto another of different material into one full cube space so the side of the roof slant has stair case look, not a straight line.

Mass and encumbrance
    Transportation is going to be implemented, right? As far as I know many users want to see massive transports like trains and ships. They would be very redundant if they are just for moving you around, it would be better if they transport larger amount of items than the players can carry. Player inventory could use less slots and number of items to encourage transport uses. It doesn't really make sense that both threads and stones stack up to 64 units so each type of item having different mass would be better in making your own interesting scheme of logistics combining transports because Items having mass naturally means that the characters and vehicles must have encumbrance as well.

Block and structural integrity
    Structures floating in the sky is not really in tune with the survival aspect of this game. Predators running in circle while you take a break on a plank over their head would look really silly and make animals far less dangerous. Getting over to the other side of a high place just by placing weak, thin planks all the way there without breaking them isn't fun either. Giving structures the kind of mechanism that 7 days to die has would make the structures and game experience more realistic. Planks and beams should also be able to be made of different materials than wood to give them varying durability and sound when stepping on.

Blueprint resources
    It doesn't make sense that no matter how big or small the blueprinted structure is, it all costs the same in a game of labor and survival. How about if you place a blueprint, the shade is there but you have to get the right resources to complete and make it tangible like in The Forest. You could also opt to just use gold ingot instead but different number of gold ingots for different number of items used for the blueprint.

More interactive crafting
    I'd like to have the ultimate blacksmith experience by actually smashing ingots on the anvil with a hammer(To do it consistently, give tools durability too!). For that, a forge as well.

Seasons, temperature needs, food spoiling