Posts by soulsurvivor

As per my thread about wanting more challenge, I want to see this too. The amount of sheep you get in your home area makes it trivially easy to acquire raw material for cloth. Yet I don't want to turn off sheep entirely. Maybe the solution is to have an advanced world generation menu where you get finer tuning for these factors (much like ores has now).

Maybe an optional coyote predator in the normally docile home area would help too.

I agree that RW deserves to be a "different strokes for different folks" experience. I don't have that much time to game either, nothing like it was before I became the breadwinner for my household. Personally I love building but as a reward for all the risks you took, danger you overcame.

I would just like more options to that effect. Like, besides having vegetation either on or off, have a setting where you can set low levels of edible vegetation and fruit bearing trees as these are sources of food that are essential to surviving.

The well known Shore Leave world seed might be one of the best for challenge, as it starts you in a pretty small area of vegetated land in front of a sandy beach (not freshwater) and you do well, at first, to avoid the nearby woods.

The new hotfix lets you now turn the bow crosshair back off from editing the config file text (which I have done). Yes, you must actually aim to hunt, like real archery.

To answer MommaT's question about Surreal: its basically a labyrinth of scarcely vegetated grassland paths walled between really tall jagged mountains. It sucks because you don't get all the biomes, and building space is small unless you demolish the rock walls somewhere.

I have found out that I approach RW gameplay is different from most people. While most are interested primarily in the building aspect and even start in Creative Mode and fly around to squash all challenge, I on the other hand want this to be a serious SURVIVAL game. I don't mind building nice things later on, but the feeling that you're working against mother nature's cruelty should be part of the experience. The way I see the silent "plot" of the game, you are stranded in the wilderness after some kind of collapse of civilization, and you have to scrape together an existence from the stone age tier.

For making the game more challenging as it currently stands, here's what I've come up with:

- In Settings, instant corpse despawn. Death hurts so much that everything you carry is gone.
    - No fly mode, obviously
    - Set the hotkey for sprinting to something inaccessible (my keypad is inaccessible, so I edited the config file to set that to Numpad 0, and I don't have a numpad on my keyboard so I can't actually do it). The lack of sprinting means exploration is harder, and you can't outrun a bear, a boar or a big cat: either you can fight these predators, or don't dare wander into other biomes.
    - Set ores to Low when creating world. You'll need to mine for quite a while before you can get the Tier II Workbench.
    - Turn off ponds. You can still fill your bucket and bottle from lakes, but those take time to locate

Well that helps, but there's still tomatoes and fruit trees and timid animals everywhere. It's not much challenge to get enough food.

Does anyone know of a world creation seed that appears to produce low amount of plants, and a lot of hostiles?

Finally, I wish there was a setting in config that would let me reduce the size of my inventory to at least half. RW "looks" more realistic than Minecraft but the amount of stuff you can carry around free as a jaybird is just as silly.