Posts by Indigo

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)

I don’t disagree, though I’d like more to have full-sized mounts, especially for polar bears.

There’s just something to be said for a full mount.

There’s also something I feel a need to clarify - yes, I do hunt, but I do not hunt for trophies. I hunt for food, and I make use of nearly all of any kill I make. I would not hunt polar bears, as I have no desire to eat polar bears. I also strongly dislike the cold, so I can say I will likely never be in a position of having to defend myself from a polar bear either.

What we have here is a beautiful survival/crafting game, but survival is hard. We have our basic needs, food, water, protection from the elements, our state of health, but what I’ve not seen is something that could greatly enhance the survival aspect:

Disease and Injury

Let’s talk disease first, as I am familiar with a few games that include this. We needn’t a pharmacopeia of ailments, but perhaps a few general categories - parasites, fever, gastrointestinal distress, and respiratory ailments. Catch a case of parasites from eating raw meats, being bitten by some infested creature or drinking bad water, and you experience increased depletion of Food and Water status.

Catch a fever, your stamina drains faster, takes longer to recover.

GI issues will dehydrate you.

Respiratory ailments will reduce your movement rate, drain your stamina and make it take longer to recover.

These things can be avoided by cooking foods, boiling water, maintaining clean conditions, and not letting the local wildlife snack on you, or sharing your living space with rats.

They can be treated by producing medicines from collected plant resources or other resources.

Injury - this opens up a world of possibilities here. We already have bandages and splints, but a few injury states would also contribute to the survival side of things. States like Open Wounds, which drain your health and make you more susceptible to Disease. Burned, as a result of direct exposure to fire, which makes you cold, drains stamina, and can decrease health when engaging in physical activities (Running, jumping, mining, melee Combat), and Poisoned, as a result of animal attack, weapon attack, or eating something raw or toxic, which drains health, stamina, and could include some neat visual effects ranging from distortions to outright hallucinations (not seeing a ravine or seeing creatures that aren’t there, or other players as some kind of monster).

All of which should also be treatable by creating suitable medicines - bandages we have to treat open wounds, ointments for burns, and antitoxins for cases of poisoning.

I know, I know, work to implement, and something of an annoyance to have to deal with when it happens to you, but that’s survival. It’s hard.

Glad to hear things are progressing - and I feel your pain where Steam and Valve are concerned. They have their own way of doing things to be sure!

Once I get some time in with Rising World, I’ll see if I can’t get some game play videos out into circulation as well and get word out to some of the more popular streamers I know and see if that doesn’t help draw in some more people too!

Being an avid modeler, I can confirm Red is spot on here. DDS files (Direct Draw Surface) are not 3d models just flattened out. When it comes to changing or importing models from anywhere else, even free-to-use public domain models from TurboSquid or other market places, or even other games*, there are usually quite a few differences in both the model itself, and in what data the game engines require.

I’ve done some rather extensive work with Bethesda’s Elder Scrolls series of games, from Morrowind (I was the creator of the original Glass Display Case model and animations), through Skyrim (currently working to port my Horse Racing mod made for Oblivion), and can say there are considerable differences in most models just between these games. The output file used by the games’ engines are more that a little different!

I’m not sure what format Rising World uses, or what sort of import/export plugins exist or for what 3d modeling packages. Personally I use 3d Studio Max, and have for quite a long while.

UVW mapping, also known as “skinning” is how textures get applied to plain grey models. It isn’t short for anything, it’s just 3 consecutive letters, similar to XYZ, which are the coordinate plains used in 3d modeling, and explain to the program how to position a texture on a model, so it doesn’t look like plain grey plastic.

Hope this clears things up, and if I can answer any questions, feel free to ask - just don’t ask me how to model - lol it’s complicated to say the least, and there are reasons they offer college courses in doing it! :-)

Indigo here. Been watching this game for a while now and finally took the plunge and started playing. Quite impressed, though I’m only a few hours in and still bumbling about trying to figure things out.

Big fan of survival/construction sandboxes, and I think this really has the potential to be a Minecraft killer when it’s done.

I’ve a slew of suggestions to drop, many of which will be “later on” things, as from what I’ve gathered so far, development has their hands full with engine migration, and that’s fine. I also want to take some time to get acquainted with the forums here, see how many of these suggestions have already been made, or are similar enough to warrant simply expanding upon, rather than generate a new thread of old ideas.

Keep up the great work! This is early retirement/private island quality work here!