Posts by Daxtron2

Hello,

Im also just hanging on the sides waiting to be able to start contributing lol. I can program in python and know about API's, databases etc but have no experiance of full on game modding.

I thought Unity was a C++ language? wouldnt that be the best one to learn or are mods generall written in java which integrates somehow?

Unity is a game engine written in C#. C# is similar to java in many ways, but is distinct in many ways as well. It's not really similar to C++ except for in base syntax of the language. The rising world modding api uses Java for backwards compatibility with the old non-unity java version of the game. Java (and C#) both run in a similar way. Java runs on something called the JVM which allows the same Java code to run anywhere the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) has been ported to (which is a lot of places). C# compiles to an intermediary language that is run by the Just-In-Time (JIT) compiler, and achieves a similar effect to the JVM. Unity itself is built on C++ for speed, but its not necessary to know it at all to effectively develop and mod games. If you know python, it might be worth looking into the Kotlin language, as it also runs on the JVM and has complete interoperability with Java, with a (in my opinion) superior syntax that is similar to a mix of C#/Java and python. I'm not sure if the rising world API supports Kotlin in Unity, that would be a question for the dev.

Hey Grimm! First off, I'd highly recommend learning the basics of programming without modding a game first. Take a look at this Codecademy course for Java. It's a beginner level course and will cover a lot of what you'll need to know before you start modding games. You can also start modding something like Minecraft first, as it has lots of tutorials and reference material to get you up and running quickly! Once the Application Programing Interface (API) for RW matures, I'm sure we'll start seeing a lot more great resources for it.