Posts by weemcast

Hey all!

Vortac mentioned this thread (we chat regularly) so I thought I would drop in and say hello! It's funny this has come up as I was just in the game two weeks ago checking out the water update. I flew around a bit thinking about the game, and tested some things out trying to remember what was what, and it was fun ;)

For a long time I said I would come back when there was a larger update (the last video I did was just showing off the bears iirc) and the water update specifically was something I had been waiting for...

...Rising World may make an appearance again on my channel, perhaps even soon, I just need to think about what I want to do in there. Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

Wow, yea, it has been a long while. That last video I did (hostile animal update) was over a year ago... time flies!

If you're just building for the sake of building (on youtube of course).. then just the entrance of the mine should be good enough. Unless you plan to explore a deep cave and head down into the depths.. :P

Ahh, so you are thinking more of an entrance to a mine, for example, in the side of a hill (it sounds like). That's a possibility ;)

Hey everyone!

I recently started playing Rising World and, as you have probably guessed by now, I have been making videos exploring the game!

If you are interested in checking them out, clicking on the thumbnail image below will take you to my current Rising World playlist!

Otherwise, here is a list of my current Rising World videos...

Weem Plays Rising World (click here for playlist)

Ep 1: Getting Started/Basics
    Ep 2: Mining for Stone
    Ep 3: Building the Deck
    Ep 4: The Hell Level
    Ep 5: Food, Hunger, Thirst (0.5.3)

More to come!

Often times, in sandbox style games (or even most games really) we can associate them to a genre or time period of sorts... sci-fi, fantasy, futuristic, mid-evil... you get the idea. Rising World has a combination of both modern and, well, non-modern elements. I understand (from something I just read) that the intention is to eventually have to work your way up from low to high tech, but I imagine even then the transition from one end to the other will not likely take very long. As such, I also imagine the elements will remain very mixed during final gameplay.

I have been playing the game for a few weeks now, and this disparity seems to be holding me back from becoming fully engrossed in the building aspect of the game - something I get really hooked into in most games.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it a lot and it won't stop me from playing - I just think about it more than is likely intended.

In another thread here on the forums, there was discussion about what kinds of threats (monsters vs realistic/natural threats) people wanted to see, and it is because of the things I mentioned above, I found myself not being able to answer the question. But that's when I had an idea (that may or may not be original around here)...

What if the game embraced this disparity and carried into every aspect of the game?

My (albeit very minor) hang up right now is that if you tell me "there will be monsters" I look at the office building I made and think... should I have built a castle instead? If you tell me it's only natural threats (wild boars, bears, etc) then I think... do I just need a fence? Why is my office building being threatened by bears?

But what if you said, "Rising World is a world that has suffered an unknown calamity. One that has brought things old and new together... it's merged fantasy and reality. In other words, what made sense no longer does.

If I think of the game this way, I can start to imagine creatures that might be interesting to see in the world - creatures that are well suited to the "theme" I have found myself experiencing.

Strange, but fun

In this scenario, I could imagine some strange creatures - after all, Minecraft had Creepers. Here's some quick off-the-top-of-my-head ideas...

• Rust Beavers (they invade your structures, eating anything made from metal)
    • Middle-Management Ogres (they club you to death with rolled up status reports)
    • Air Guitar Goblins (assaulting your ears with sonic waves from their invisible guitars, even through walls)
    • Carl (just a mailman - seriously, he just shows up every once in a while and wanders around a bit before leaving)

Yea, I'm aware this is random

Anyway, this was more of a thought exercise for me - what would it take for me to look at the game (as it currently stands) and say, "Ahhh... I get it". I fully understand this will not (likely) be in-line with the goals of the devs, or even the desires of most people - again, it was more for fun, thinking out loud. If nothing else, maybe it got you thinking a little... or elicited a chuckle ;)

===========

Note @ZaCormyr - this (above) is the thread I mentioned I was about to make

I can't really decide at the moment, though I have a feeling I would go for an option that is not listed.

I'm certainly not looking for Zombies. If RW ended up with Zombies, I feel like I would be deciding between playing RW and 7 Days to Die.

I think I like the idea of something realistic as far as natural predators, but perhaps also roaming bands of bandits. I think part of the reason it's hard for me to decide is that I feel the game walks a line between modern and not. What I mean by that is, through various selections of specific placeables and textures, one could setup a home or town (for example) resembling from a mid-evil period... but then, with other selections/decisions, setup something that looks modern. Because of this, I have a hard time wrapping my head around a time period for the game, which makes deciding things such as "monster" themes.

That said, I might be the only one who is wrapped up in, or getting hung up on that element ;)

I would like to build a fortress of sorts, but I would like to do it near water, so I may wait until that feature is in. Additionally, I assume a new world will have to be made at that time, otherwise I would consider starting that project now ;)