The Quest of the Boat

• Spirited by the water update, I am trying (since a while) to make a boat, a small boat, similar to the ones used by non-commercial fishers in my area, small but with a reasonable shape. I am ready to accept small glitches and not completely round surfaces, but the general effect should be convincing.

I started from the hull, which I expected to be the most difficult to replicate convincingly. So far, I tried the 'band approach': horizontal (or primarily horizontal) series of planks forming the hull shape. The result has been a disaster:

after the second band, things go totally awry and it seems impossible to place more pieces without huge holes, awkward angles/or and protruding edges (as a scale, the whole hull is approx. 3 blocks high; ignore the provisional backboard, it is just a temporary piece to visualise the end).

So, I will now try the 'rib approach': making vertical curved 'ribs' (no idea of the actual English word for them) out of the keel to attach the hull planks to, which in fact is how this kind of boat is actually built.

If you don't mind, I'll post updates here on how the work goes on. Possibly I will not succeed, but it is a great way to familiarize with the construction system anyway.

In the meantime, any suggestion is welcome!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!