question regarding textures for mods

• i'm a car modder, and my car mods have multiple textures as opposed to normal car mods that have one for the whole mapping

is there a texture limit for the models in RW, i'm keen to release some car mods for RW, but only if there is no limit on the textures, as i'm not much good when it comes to remapping.

thanks in advance.

• Are you referring to plugins or to "classical mods"?
    If you're talking about plugins, every model can only have a single texture. So if your car consists of several textures, every part that's covered by a different texture has to be a separate model.

• i'm talking about "plugin" mods, I just tried it with separate textures, all on the one model and it worked fine, so from my little test, you could probably have multiple textures on the same model, just a matter of editing the .car file, well that's what I did, and it seems to be working.

• I moved your topic to the plugins section then ;) However, you can only have one single texture on a model. When creating a model file, you have to assign an ImageInformation object to it, which represents the texture. That's the texture that will be applied to the model.

• yeah I didn't understand a word of that page you, linked to, that's all double dutch to me lol, well all i'm going to say is this

I put a 1 3d car model ingame with multiple textures and it came out as if it were in it's original format, so it might just be something i'm doing I don't know lol...

where do I find the log, does RW have a log file to find if there are errors and such?

this shows the front of the car, the chev logo is part of the model, so this shows you can use multiple textures on the same car, however I wont release this car, because it gives me around 20-30 fps I would need to reduce it down a lot to get a decent frame rate..

• so this shows you can use multiple textures on the same car

Just to avoid misunderstandings: every model can only have one single texture, trust me :D In other words, if you want to use multiple textures, you have to use multiple models (one texture per model).

because it gives me around 20-30 fps I would need to reduce it down a lot

It's important to keep polycounts as low as possible ;) On the one hand, it has a direct impact on rendering performance (it highly depends on your hardware, an NVIDIA GTX 1080 can definitely handle much more polygons than an integrated Intel HD graphics adapter), usually you can keep "a few million triangles" in mind when it comes to the total polygon count (but keep in mind that the game scene already consists of a lot of triangles).
    But on the other hand, high polygon counts also result in bigger file sizes, i.e. especially in multiplayer it takes more bandwith to transfer the model data to the client.
    For a decent looking car (if you create a model from scratch), I'd recommend to not use more than 10,000 - 30,000 triangles (you can achieve really great results with these limits, everything above that is basically a waste of resources).

• unfortunately, until the guy who made the car plugin changes it, so it can handle more than one 3d model part per car (ie chassis body interior etc) I cant do anything with it. I've got literally gb's of models I can use, but because his plugin is only setup for one model I cant use it,

is there a way to export all the 3d files so that they are separate but one obj, does that make sense? instead of having models for each part, export as one obj with separate textures for each part in the obj?

• You can do that programmatically of course :) Each model is a separate object, but one could create a new class which holds multiple World3DModel instances. Once we have some more time we may release an example plugin for that (or maybe integrate such a class in the API directly).
    However, it's always necessary that your model still has a separate obj file (and texture) per part^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!