Disable pvp

• Need a little help with disabling pvp.

I copied the server files and database from mysql over to a new server and everything seems to work great, except pvp is now enabled. I verified that pvp is still false in the server.properties files. I don't see anything in the database that saves the pvp flag. Any suggestions on how to disable it globally?

EDIT: I added pvp=false to the general permissions for all groups and it didn't have any affect.

• I might be easily wrong, but I think that server.properties are not retro-active, i.e. they do not affect worlds already created, only worlds created after the properties are set.

About permissions, you may want to double check them, YAML syntax is very strict and a missing blank may invalidate the whole file. I am fairly confident the following syntax group works on my server:

Code
    general:
    pvp: false
  • The server was set to pvp false from the beginning. I just moved it to a new server. We were not able to hit each other until I moved it to the new server. I looked over the perm files and it appears fine to me. Here are my admin permissions.

group: Admin
    chatnamecolor: 0x0A1444
    chatprefix: (Admin)
    chatprefixcolor: 0x0A1444
    shownametag: true
    showadmintag: false
    nametagcolor: 0x0A1444
    nametagprefix: (Admin)
    nametagprefixcolor: 0x0A1444

commands:
    allow:
    deny:
    - makeadmin
    - revokeadmin
    - shutdown
    general:
    customimages:
    enabled: true
    maxupload: 100
    dimension: 512
    creative:
    allow:
    blueprints:
    use: true
    create: true

• After messing with permissions for a while, I am thinking its something with the "general" permission. Nothing I set for general is being used. Commands, creative, and customimages seem to work fine.

Anyone see any syntax errors in my general section? its only 2 lines. I tried adding another general flag and it was ignored along with pvp.

general:

Thanks in advance

• Yes sorry. I just pasted it from the terminal window. The formatting in the file is spaced.

• Its been set to that from the beginning.

Code
    settings_monsters_enabled=true
    settings_npc_spawnrate=1.0
    settings_peacefulmode_enabled=false
    settings_pvp_enabled=false
    settings_rcon_forward_commands=true
    settings_rcon_forward_lua=true
    settings_show_luaplugins=true
  • You might of tried this or it might seem pointless but try in game to set your group to admin "setplayergroup <name> admin" just to see if that makes any difference even though your already added.

I was having a similar issue with "nohungerthirst" and "invulnerable" not working and I learned I had to re set my group on every log in.

I realize It shouldn't be that way but its just a thought since it seems you've tried everything.

Good luck with this issue I hope you figure it out. :thumbup:

• I set that already. It really isn't that big of a deal for me because the server is only for me and few friends to play, but I can see where it would be a big problem on a non-pvp public server. I'll keep trying different things to see what happens.

• Did you try looking in the log(s), error log(s), etc. to see if there are problems scanning the setting / permission files? A stupid typo (anywhere in the file, not necessarily in the section you focus on) might be enough for the whole file to be ignored.

As I get it, log file name(s) might be different between platforms, so I cannot tell you which they are, but usually it is easy to spot them.

• I checked the logs first thing. It says it loads the permissions file fine. Whats weird its only the general section that isn't working. The other fields like commands and blueprints I can change the variable and it works.

• hmmm, well, I run out of ideas. I have re-read all the permission system description and I cannot find anything applicable to your problem.

I would try some shot in the dark, like removing the "general:" section entirely and see if the next section has problems (might be because of something before it!), moving the "general:" section up or down, check the logic of the cascading default / admin permissions, etc.

Surely, you are aware that, after any modification to the permission system, the server has to be restarted.

Also, not sure if this is relevant, but Windows and OSX/Unix do not agree on the new line encoding; if your text editor has this function, I would force the new line encoding to the one used in the server platform.

Perhaps @red51 has something to add?

• I moved the general section after this started just to put it in alphabetical order, but that was just coincedence. It didn't change it. I have restarted the server many times while trying to resolve this. I use vi and pico on the server, so formatting shouldn't be a problem, but I did look for extra encoding and didn't see any. I think the server would throw an error in the logs if the permissions found an error.

Since I seem to be the only person with this problem, I doubt red51 has time for this. He has a lot on his plate i'm betting right now. :)

• Since I seem to be the only person with this problem, I doubt red51 has time for this. He has a lot on his plate i'm betting right now. :)

Permissions are a regular source of questions. In most cases, they come out to be misunderstanding, syntax errors, and other identifiable sources.

At that point, the two or three of us ruled out all the common causes and we still cannot figure out where the problem is (and surely there is a problem). So, this might point to a bug or a 'hole' in the code and red51 might be definitely interested in it.

• I'm not sure what I did but it is working now. The last thing I did was set the player group again. I had done that several times and it never changed anything before.

Thank you for the help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!