RESOLVED!! Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Dedicated, can't start linux start script.

• Setting up a dedicated on a ubuntu server and the start script will not start. It acts like it needs either more arguments in the syntax or I'm missing some installs for my linux box to start it up.

To help me narrow this down, could anyone who has had experience, however small, with Rising World dedicated via linux let me know what modules and other requirements they have found needed for this to work in linux?

./linux_startscript.sh doesn't work :/
    sh linux_startscript.sh doesn't work :cursing:

does it need java installed? which one? ?(
    does it need perl? etc etc etc. :huh:

ANY info would be great,
    Thanks in advance!
    ~Droophoria

Epic Insomniacs Rising World!

Come have some fun @ 62.213.195.243:4255 or find us in the server list:
    [420] Epic Insomniacs Rising World Server

• Add:
    ./linux_startscript.sh start [my server name without the brackets]

still issues:
    1. server_memory' is not numeric
    so I converted the server.properties file to UTF8 using iconv
    same issue.

Retyped by hand into a new server.properties file, when attempted to "write out" (using Nano btw) it offers DOS and MAC file type as only options.

• started from scratch, got past that bit, new error.

./linux_startscript.sh: line 46: screen: command not found
    ./linux_startscript.sh: line 50: screen: command not found
    ./linux_startscript.sh: line 52: screen: command not found

• ./linux_startscript.sh: line 46: screen: command not found

apt-get install screen :P

It's not necessary to use the startup script. You can simply just start the server with java -Xmx1G -Xms32M -jar server.jar. That would of course require you to have the terminal open all the time :)

Get your own Rising World server today!

• Thank you, I don't know who you are but I love you

That being said...
    I poked through the startup script and noticed it called for screen so I did install it and then try the script.

I got server successfully started but no output on the screen (tried switching screens Ctrl+A, no joy) and I couldn't connect or even see the server.

Perhaps I need to open ports on the remote server (which is VPS btw, can toss specs up if asked).

I will try the java start method you provided (thanks again ;) ) and see if I can connect or at least see the server listed.

NOTE:I already did all this on an extra Windows machine and was up and running within minutes but it was using alot of my internet bandwidth, I prefer linux as well for hosting game servers and knowing linux I made a huge assumption that setup would be even easier on a remote *nix box; lesson learned.

• UPDATE on java start:

root@risingworld:/home/risingworldserver# java -Xmx1G -Xms32M -jar server.jar
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: server/Main : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:643)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:277)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:73)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:212)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:323)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:268)
    Could not find the main class: server.Main. Program will exit.

• We are up and running! look for us! [US] Epic Insomniacs.

For those having similar issues via linux:

Please remember, you need JAVA installed on your *nix box. MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL THE LATEST JRE+JDK AS WELL AS THE ORACLE JRE+JDK (JRE MAY NOT BE NEEDED BUT IT WILL NOT HURT)
    Make sure you install "screen" apt-get install screen

After you install java and screen, test it by using the java start method mentioned above by Dennis

You can simply just start the server with java -Xmx1G -Xms32M -jar server.jar.

If you get a java error, chances are that you just simply don't have the proper java versions/dependencies.

• Regarding the server_memory is not numeric issue I installed the dos2unix utility and ran it against the server.properties file. It seemed to convert the script just fine. My server then spawned into the background. Have you tried tweaking your permissions on the file with chmod 755 linux_startscript.sh ? That way the proper execute permissions are set.

As far as installing screen. Maybe you need to re-install it? (sudo apt-get remove screen , reboot, then sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get install screen). Also making sure that Java is up to date may also help.

• Thank you, I don't know who you are but I love you

Haha, I'm Dennis, CEO of a GSP called Prima Servers - been messing with Minecraft for a couple of years, and since both Rising World and Minecraft uses Java, they're pretty similar regarding starting the servers :P

UPDATE on java start:

root@risingworld:/home/risingworldserver# java -Xmx1G -Xms32M -jar server.jar
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: server/Main : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0

Seems like an outdated version of Java. I don't know whether or not Java 1.6 is supported, but you can always install 1.7 using apt-get install openjdk-7-jre :) Seems like you did that though.

Make sure you install "screen" apt-get install screen

Screen is not required if you're using the method I described. It's only required if you're actually going to take advantage of the features that Screen offers :D

Get your own Rising World server today!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!