Posts by wesleybruce

Is the BBQ or fire dead level? It glitches out if its not because the meat mesh is dead level but must be a specific distance from the grill mesh. If there's an angle you can't put the meat in. It most be in your hand to place. Did you know that? just like placing a block.

He winked at us! We're all going to be eaten alive! lol.

Nice list of changes. I had just noticed that half slabs were missing and now I hear he's adding them.
    It will be interesting to see how the veggies grow.

Can I ask how big the team is? That tells us a lot about how fast the game will be able to grow.

Thanks ZaCormyr I was looking for that one.

Its on this one at 25:15

This is work in progress in the engine their using but not yet finished.

I'm studying this now but its a challenge of the larger scale but that's basic sea. Not the same as the java etc that Reds using.

If water is possible then I can think of three sea biomes and three coast biomes but I suspect they won't be in early game. Water is hard.

• Sargasso - sharks, tuna, fish bait balls, jelly fish, turtle, small whale.

Floating sargassum plant in patches, flotsam (wood & plastic).
    Deep dark with anemones and sea stars.
    Black smokers/ geothermal springs with crabs and shellfish and minerals.

• Reef - big fish, colourful fish, barracuda, eel, sea grass, more sharks.

Coral balls, beds and bommies [Bombora] distributed like trees. Anemones.
    Green water tint in patches. Clouds of little fish (like living fog)

• Sandy sea. Manatee, eel, clusters of shellfish and the occasional kelp with shellfish clusters.

Underwater sand dunes, not much at the surface but bait balls, gulls,
    On the sea bed patches of seagrass.

• Sandy beach - crab, seal (rare), gull, fish offshore, dolphins. Breaking waves as moving mobs.

Sand backed with a dune. Coarse grass on dune, flotsam on shore,

• Rocky beach - crab, octopus, gull, shore bird fledgling nests. seals inshore and on land. Breaking waves as moving mobs.

Stone rising from water, Scraggly trees on top.
    Small shingle beaches.
    Kelp offshore with some attached shellfish.

• Mangrove - crab, lung fish, gulls, nesting big shore birds. crocodile, sea snake. No waves.

Flat terrain with low trees and tangled roots that slow you. Mud! Shellfish beds.

I could create something that may or may not be a wreck assuming we want a generic sea.
    Are there any published polygon limits?

Does anyone know of a good site with animals on it that I can practice my blender? Preferably free. I need practice with rigging and variation editing.
    I have an idea for a creature that's not quite of this world but may fit in. A unique creature thats associated with the game. Like notch's creeper. It won't explode I promise. I may take some time to make it, I'm still learning.

Are the animals already in the game filed somewhere, Accessible and legal to work with?

OK that is not a short list. Its also a lot of work. Glad I just up dated my blender. All I was thinking of was, honey, honeycomb and a few fish ideas.

But I can add a few to our way to big list. lol.
    -Alpine add haystack /low pile of grass. This is common, animals gather hay in such environments. Add bat to caves.
    Arctic add pillow bush under the snow; shellfish in shallow water(freeeezing); drift wood on shore (the inuit that found a log was rich!),
    Coastal Rainforest add squirrel,
    Desert add big eared burrowing critter/ jerboa or bandicoot,
    Jungle add palm,
    Prairies Are we restricted to modern animals? wooly rhino and mammoth would fit if not (Perhaps with a toggle to turn them off in a menu).
    Savanah needs elephant (perhaps a smallish one), baboon.
    Swamp good list add capybara and/ or a large water rat (menu toggle),
    Temperate Forest more squirrels, Pigeons.
    Tropical add tapir (with an on off) tapirs are strange the fossils show that they were once everywhere but now they're found only in south east asia and south america,
    Tundra (cold) tundra willow/ its a real plant with real wood. It grows to 8 cm and produces about 30 grams of wood (a stick or so),
    Wetlands good list add egret to hunt the frogs.

My main concern is to have a little wood in the snow biomes so a player there is not stuck.
    I live in Australia so a few marsupial would be fun, wombats, kangaroos, Potoroo's (rabbit sized roos). emu (an ostrich without the showy white plumage. ) Perhaps a moa for the New Zealanders if we're allowing extinct fauna. Having eurasian animals as a default with south american, Australasian animals set to off but toggleable on in a menu. The same with a few ice age beasties. Whos t say that in our universe they never went extinct or were recreated by some lab. People are working on them now.

Clearly there is no need to add the more exotc animals until a much later update.

Water is hard the folks at Everquest Next just discussed that at length in a youtube talk on their site. Markus (Notch) Persson squared the circle on that one but even at his low resolution voxels a lot of flowing water is a lag machine. If Red or any of us crack it we can expect it to be a serious innovation everyone will want to play with.

PS Markus is now officially a billionaire, ka ching.

Wolves, bears, lynx, eurasian lion or panther, Wolverine. The problem is finding a properly rigged animal. Everyone does wolves and bears so the rest is rare. Wild boars might work. There are a few rigged boars about.
    A bull or bull deer that is inclined to attack on sight is a possibility. They do that.
    Then you have snakes and other reptiles. Rats in caves and ruins.
    Ravens defending a nest is a possibility.

Most other predators are harmless to man.

The challenge is to find animal that fit the world concept and if biomes are added then you have all sorts of options crocodiles, rhinos, hippos, rogue elephants. Then you have to find something that rigged and does not look wrong walking on a slope. Goblins are easy there are hundreds of cheap goblins out there.
    However it occurs to me that a small texture change could turn a goblin into a convincing ape, baboon or something like that.

Thanks I missed that thread. Spelling! Your lightning fast sir. I've reposted it there but don't know how to delete a thread I've created.

Can I suggest a mapping idea for the game. Anyone who's tried to use the minecraft map to navigate caves knows that won't do. It shows only surface with no height data for caves. I've been thinking about an alternative for years.

The map only places a dot where the player is, with the x and z divided by 20. (Assumes y is height. )The colour of the dot is green if you're standing on grass. Grey if you're on rock and yellow on sand, etc. The grey is darker the deeper you go and the background/ blank map is sky blue. the grey of the rock would be y / 256. y being the height of the block under the player. Where too tunnels cross at different levels the map changes the dot to purple. Sea blue might be used if your under water. Hell maybe reds.

The key idea is that there is only a dot where you have been and it indicates depth in the case of tunnels. Where an overlap occurs the dot is purple and a darker shade of purple the deeper the lower passage.

I can't write code to save my life, dyslexia. So someone smarter than me needs to write the code. However this should help immensely if you're spelunking. It should look like the attached image only cleaner. Using this map you could navigate from one tunnel to another relatively easily or know what direction to head out to get back to base.

Files

• mapmap.png

(7.19 kB, downloaded 364 times, last: )

Can I suggest a mapping idea for the game. Anyone who's tried to use the minecraft map to navigate caves knows that won't do. It shows only surface with no height data for caves.

I've been thinking about an alternative for years.
    The map only places a dot where the player is, with the x and z divided by 20. (Assumes y is height. )The colour of the dot is green if you're standing on grass. Grey if you're on rock and yellow on sand, etc. The grey is darker the deeper you go and the background/ blank map is sky blue. the grey of the rock would be y / 256. y being the height of the block under the player. Where too tunnels cross at different levels the map changes the dot to purple. Sea blue might be used if your under water. Hell maybe reds.

The key idea is that there is only a dot where you have been and it indicates depth in the case of tunnels. Where an overlap occurs the dot is purple and a darker shade of purple the deeper the lower passage.

I can't write code to save my life, dyslexia. So someone smarter than me needs to write the code. However this should help immensely if you're spelunking. It should look like the attached image only cleaner.

Files

• mapmap.png

(7.19 kB, downloaded 309 times, last: )

Going to try that swamp game haha

You will die! Don't blame me.

I accidently downloaded the tower defence game. A blind tower defence game; wow.
    And there's a real time 'settlers' type village builder too.

Thankfully my eyes are not that bad. X/

It did get me thinking how you would do a minecraft voxel world for the blind.
    You would need about three times the sounds. You would need to set edge protect (sneak in minecraft) to default so the player does not walk off edges but must hit a key to walk down one block (or step off a cliff). Stairs might override that.
    Every material would have a walk sound, top face, a tap sound side faces and a unique echo bottom face. Leaves would rustle if you're facing them. Bird song would indicate the size and type of the forest. Some materials, stone, might have one sound if there is more than 4 solid blocks below it, a different sound if there is an air voxel/ cave less than four below and yet another sound if there is ore within 2 metres.

Environmental index sounds would be highly directional. If you're not facing something you don't hear it. Leaves would rustle if you're facing them. The exception would be Bird song would indicate the size and type of the forest.
    The tree trunks creek and Crops or flowers are marked by insect sounds. Six different wind sounds would tell you you're outdoors and how large the area is.
    Predators, triffids and other nasty things would have one sound if they are in your forward arc and another if they're behind you. Maybe another if they're in range and weapon arc.

Crafting would talk to you and building would use a cornerstone. Place it then add building materials and select the layout from an audio menu. Click a square room extending from the corner stone.

Its beyond my skills but possible.

The current icons and layout matches dayz and a few other games. Those are free code, or almost free and easy to implement, just a drop in chunk of code I believe. That's why its so common. I got the broken leg icon also so the whole package is there. Making a hand built damage and hunger UI is a lot of work and probably would be a later game change.

I just stop eating when its washed out green then when its yellow again I have a snack. You don't have any real benefits from being 100% hydrated or 100% fed.

PS. Colour blind gamers get very good at spotting shapes. Maybe better than us. Someone with the most common Colour blindness see shades of brown. A brown melon hiding in brown grass will not be any harder or easier than a green melon in long green grass. I.e. Still *#$@^ impossible.
    There are computer games for the blind with only audio cues! Including a zombie shooter!!!!!
    I've had a go. I lasted 30 seconds 8 times. Very very scary.
    Its called swamp on this site.
    https://p9.secure.hostingprod.…ky.com/ssl/audiogames.php

Yep that's a whole page of audio games for the blind. Awesume.

I don't think the furnace is meant to work at this stage assuming you mean the dome furnace. Ores and smelting are not yet in the game. That's what its for. When its ready then the metal will not be free anymore from the anvil. Bug fixing comes before ores at the moment.

If you're having trouble with any of the three cookers make sure that its dead level. The plane the food is on is dead flat but if the cooker is not flat that puts bacon, ribs and steak out side the cokers target bounding box. Things won't sit there and cook. Cooking takes time and watch it the food can burn if you go do something else. I have much burned meat.

@red51 will there be no way to regen that green "life" bar in bottom left? I assumed we will have ways of getting it back to full again.

ok I'm stumped mine regened when I ate cooked food and its always red? Oh and I have the dayz broken leg icon after a fall and nothing makes it go away. lol. No ill effects yet it seems. No limp. Nice work @red51

I Messed about on multi player. If anyone finds a extra melon in their tent, wes was there. lol. nice fenced house.
    I also found that you can tunnel outside the world mesh. As long as the mesh is in range you can use the pick on it expanding a tunnel from outside. Works even with F2 off but its precarious. Makes tunneling very interesting with fly mode on. I thought the whole ideas of calculating normals on marching cubes was so one side was a solid collision mesh and the other side no collide so if things pop out they then fall back in.

Most people seem to have not noticed that their hunger and thirst stops increasing/ fading to red in creative mode. You can't demo that aspect of the game in that mode. Some are trying and getting confused. You can make yourself hungry and thirsty by eating burnt food. <X It also damages you. :cursing:
    However unlike minecraft you don't slowly heal and gain satiation over time in creative.
    This is not a clone of mindcraft and should not be.

PS. If you're looking for melons get out of fly mode and slow down. Watching 6 gamers in a row on youtube zoom past them is just painful. And yes I'm one of the six.