Some start-up error messages grab mouse / hide mouse cursor

• This is rather difficult to explain in words, but I'll try.

While experiencing the error reported in this thread, I Alt-TABbed to another process to write down some notes in order to report the error.

1) The error msg dlg remained on top of everything (not surprising, usually can be managed)

2) No mouse cursor appeared (it was hidden in the RW launch screen), making quite hard to use any other application or even dragging the error dlg out of the way

3) It was not possible to Alt-Tab back to the error dlg to acknowledge it, shut RW down and go on. In fact, I ended up turning the machine off with Ctrl-Alt-Del (luckily the keyboard was not grabbed).

Possibly it is not super-important, but being forced to turn off a machine to recover from an error msg is not very user-firendly...

• In case of doubt you can kill the Java/Rising World process in your task manager, then you should get rid of any hidden dialogs. In general I'd recommend to disable fullscreen mode and use the undecorated mode (disable fullscreen mode, adapt the resolution to your desktop resolution and check the "undecorated" box), this usually works much better when switching no another process.
    However, I guess it would be helpful to move the error dialog to another frame anyway ;)

• Thanks for the reply and for the suggestions.

I forgot to mention the important points that I was not in full mode, resolution same width and slightly small height than the monitor (to keep the task bar insight), undecorated, exactly as you suggested.

It is hard to call and manage the process monitor (I'm running Linux) without a mouse cursor but, I agree, there would have been ways to progressively close the other running apps and perhaps remain with the RW error dlg only; still there seemed to be no way to call it back in focus to acknowledge and dismiss it with [Enter].

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!