Server Hosting Options

• Well....I did mention I wanted to host a private server for the water update before the water update arrived. Trying to find a 'fuss-free' server option that I've even considered buying some sort of random 'box server' on my end or something to host my Rising World. Problem is, I don't know which route to take because it's just me & my friend, and there's really no 'Minecraft Realms' style option to 'Rising World' for simplicity of hosting. Only the overly handy 'Open Lan' versus the complicated Linix Linode option that I"m aware of. :huh:

I did check out Vortac's mention of GTX Gaming - https://www.gtxgaming.co.uk/ - yet highly unsure about this. I"m unsure about everything because, again, looking for a 'no fuss' moment of just setting up a server then having it go. No linux bullcrap for Linode, just straight up hosting. I guess I have to wait for around evening for when I can actually 'process' all this information.

It appears that I may have to wait until dungeons, along with player models & player customizations to come out to even do a dedicated private server at this rate. I don't really know anything (server) or anybody trustworthy (actually interested in jumping on), yet wouldn't mind the $10, or so monthly just for me & my friend in Rising World.

It's just me being highly uncertain and to allow my friend to play when I'm unable to. Maybe someone else, if anybody trustworthy pokes me for access (basically talking to one another).

• Just my two-cents-worth comments; not even an advice, just comments.

A) If it is just you and 3 - 4 friends, I would go for the LAN option: easy, quick, no additional cost. Keep each other informed of servers being accessible and of IP by other channels and play. Even more, if stability over a mid-term time (some months) is not important for you.

B) If you expect a more massive population and/or value to idea of the world being available 24/7 for a longish period, I personally would opt for a game serving solution (a company providing servers already configured for specific games, including RW). Also easy and quick, a game serving solution removes most of the fuss out of configuring a server and its networking tricks.

Before signing anything, I would make sure i) the server IS accessible in some way at file level (SSH console being the best, but even FTP can do, if nothing better) and ii) any automatic management can be disabled. This i) to allow RW customisation and ii) overcome delay or misconceptions in automatic game updates or similar.

From the data on their web site, GTX seems affordable and reliable, but it is easy to create this impression with a web site (without actually cheating) and I did not personally try them. If anybody has actual experiences of game serving, please comment.

C) Unless you have very specific needs and/or plan to use the server for other tasks, I would stay away from generic dedicated server solutions (like Linode). They usually work pretty well and give you all you have paid for, but assume some familiarity with host / network setup / maintenance which is usually not common in the average PC user.

In any case, go for a Linux server! Avoid any other OS, as they are simply unsuited to the task.

• Somewhat regretting posting this thread in haste, yet shall roll with it now. Even finally discovered their page - https://www.gtxgaming.co.uk/rising-world-hosting.html

A) Ya, we still stick to open lan (two of us) that it's still the only way to play right now.

B) Not expecting much, just another 2-5 people over the year, yet that's just being optimistic. Who knows where it's going to go. I'll look into the nitty gritty as time goes on.

C) Ya, I'm staying away from Linode. Just wanting a private server to play around with, and to host 24/7 because I can't always host when at work that I also have to wait for the likes of dungeons, player models & player customizations also. Just something like Minecraft Realms to then poke at it every now and again. Only posting this thread because there's really no other server options to pick from that I stalk other people's hosting threads and such for a general idea. Linode I had to get major help from that someone had to make an auto-script for me all the time.

Guess I'll keep this post noted. Maybe I can pull more out of it when I'm not yawning so much also from general sleep issues.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!