Coordinates / Koordinaten

• We are using an altitude script from @yahgiggle , very nice and useful script, a little bit changed to see altitude, X and Y-axes. Very nice for coordinates. There's also a very nice
    GPS plugin, but I prefer to orientate with coordinates. I don't like F3 for a long time, because of chat overlay. The script has a very small display and does not interfere even if it's permanently on screen.

@red51 Es gibt ja noch ein anderes Koordinaten Script. Hat glaube ich die gleichen Funktionen bis auf die Höhenangabe.

• There's also a very nice GPS plugin, but I prefer to orientate with coordinates.

Should I guess there is a question hidden in this?

The GPS plug-in uses "standard" latitude / longitude coordinates ( N / E ) everybody is more or less familiar with. The previous scripts, as well as the F3 display, use 'proprietary' negative_longitude / latitude coordinates ( W / N ).

Of course, this is mostly a matter of convention, but I remain convinced that the generalised use of "standard" notations, already known and familiar, is generally better (incidentally, I understand that, as the F3 display has mainly debugging purposes, it makes sense for it to be as close as possible to the internal data representation; this does not mean however that those representations should be used for all other purposes).

That said, I am not an integralist... Would you prefer an option for the GPS to display its coordinates according the the proprietary convention?

• @Miwarre I could move with longitude coordinates on a real streetmap, but hard to do this in the game.
    I must say we're always talking in TS3 about x, y, coordinates, ( i.e. OpenGl variation and maths system).
    There is also an ingame command "Goto x, y, z", or in another chronology in the game, very useful.
    The ingame display with F3 is concealed while server messages,
    chats etc., very often. And its hard to look around with F3 open.
    I tried script and plugin on our testserver, to show what I meant.

• @Deirdre: Thanks for the reply, but I am still unable to understand what you are asking for or complaining abut; more, I cannot understand IF you are asking or complaining.

I am glad you find my plug-in "very nice", thanks! Still there seems to be something missing or not entirely satisfactory with it; as I made it to be useful, I would like to understand how I could make it better and more suited the needs of the players.

• @Miwarre Yes, we are used to fly or discover map with the coordinates. F3 is not very useful because of screen overlay.
    So we had a little script on other positiion that shows the coordinates. We are not using length and wide grade in your script or plugin.
    I cannot use F3 while flying or running around. It is covered by writing people in the chat or server messages. So we use the other coordinate
    script wihh x, y, z axes. My wish was something like that in a plugin, because of removing Lua-scripts soon.

• [...] we use the other coordinate script with x, y, z axes. My wish was something like that in a plugin, because of removing Lua-scripts soon.

So, if I understand correctly, you prefer that, instead of (219N, 274E) h100, it says: -274x, 100y, 219z. Correct? Separated with commas and with axis suffixes?

Do you prefer a separate plug-in or would it be ok adding an option to the GPS to display the coordinates in this other format rather than in "standard" coordinates? (the option would be server-wide, for all the players of the server)

• @Deirdre: This is a possible change to the GPS plug-in to display coordinates in RW proprietary format:

The format can be selected with a boolean property in the plug-in configuration file and is server-wide (chosen by server owner and applying to all players).

Would this suit better your need?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!