Taming, Breeding, Herding

• Heyas^^ its me again. Since i cant decide wether to write in bad english oder even worse german ill do first :D Id like to see a kind of Animalsystem. But pls not as bad as in minecraft :D Maybe you could implement a system where you can actively change the type of animal. Like you tame a brown male and a black-white female cow. Beside the fact that both of them will have plenty of fun, soon a cattle is born. This cattle will have various percentage of the father genes and the mothers. Like, the "race" of the father gives plenty of milk, therefor the meat has baaaad quality. Therefor the mother has middleammount of milk but they are fat and give plenty of meat. Now you as farmer can decide what kind of cows you need and want to breed. Same can be done for other animals. Like sheeps gives different kind of quality wool, maybe therefore the better wool it is harder to spin.

Just an idea :)

• That's your decision, if you want to write in english, write in english, if you want to write in german, write in german (preferably in the german section of the forum) :D

Once again, I like your suggestion! How should players find out the quality of the animals products? By trial and error?

But this feature will also take a long time until it's fully implemented, since we currently don't have any animals at all, and we're working on bringing them into the game ;) Once they're ingame, we have to implement all other things that are necessary for survival gameplay first, then we can do this kind of "fine-tuning" :)

• That sounds like a very cool feature 8) But it would probably be more practical to implement animals first :P

"I wish I had a dollar for every time I spent a dollar, because then, I'd have all my money back" :P

• I have to say that here are some really curious ideas. Please do not take this in a bad way but this game is still in an alpha phase and we are talking about staff that´s not even necessary in the final game.

Probably it is better to concentrate on high level suggestions. For example you can make a list of animals you want to see in the game.

• I have to say that here are some really curious ideas. Please do not take this in a bad way but this game is still in an alpha phase and we are talking about staff that´s not even necessary in the final game.

Probably it is better to concentrate on high level suggestions. For example you can make a list of animals you want to see in the game.

I dont take anything bad ;) but as my mother use to say: "If you want to do something, do it right". I made the experience that it is sometimes harder to change stuff afterwards. And why not give an input that might be relative usefull? For example, if whoever makes a game decides to implement animals he has a mass of possibilities. If he decides they are like in mc only a source of food in an unlimited way, no problem at all. But if the dev wants animals to be something valuable, he can say animals will have, later or now, specific atributes or benefits, but progged the game like in minecraft, it might be hard to balance that later on. you know? I dont claim my ideas are mass compatible or the only way. its just a piece of colour to give the game a touch which pushes it in another direction than mc.

• I don't want to say that you have to keep your ideas in your mind. What I am trying to say is that you should try take make a top -> down (or the other way) discussion.
    Start at a high level and go into detail (or start at a low level and go to high level).

For example:
    - herding is a cool feature
    - how do you think is the behaviour of the herd
    - what animals are in a herd
    - remove/add animals to the herd (your point)
    - combine herds
    - max size of a herd
    - movement of a herd
    - etc.

So you see there are a lot of thing to think about and one of them is your point. I am more the development guy and so I have to think about the whole concept of something. To add specific attributes in modern programming languages is not that big deal as long as the architecture is nice :)

• Well, i like the "small" things that make a process "individual" :) But i do get your point. Lets break it down ;)

Maybe adding a kind of script that tells: If grassland with water nearby -> chance of spawning herd a 20%, herd b 10 % etc.
    You could say that specific animals, like their rl counterparts, act the same way. This included wolves etc hunt deers and so on. You could define which animals spawn in a specific biome or "area" based on the ammount of blocks of the specific type. This includes woods for wood animals, grassland for farm animals etc.

Now you have either the chance to tame animals by specific tasks, feed, care etc to raise their binding to you or by simply "pull" them into your stable via rope.

you could implement and aggro feature. Based on stuff like "are babys" in that herd. If yes -> animals have chance xy to be aggressive

• I am also getting your point and I am with you. Sadly I made the experience that thinking small (all the time) could be extremly bad for the whole game. I am also a friend of details and I love talking about crazy new ideas no other game will ever have. But keep in mind that even this game will never have it ( red51: challenge for you to disprove me :D )

• Well, if more ppl had the required skills it could ;) But to be honest, i dont know much about scripting etc. Just hope the lua stuff is as easy as i hope so i can do the stuff i like to see^^ for example the optionalbe marketstand without an admin needed^^

• In my personal opinion should be a herd and its basic behavior part of the main game and not from a lua script. But to decide this is part of the developer.

• [...] Probably it is better to concentrate on high level suggestions [...]

That's true, but we'll do that anyway :) This is what I also wanted to say with my previous post, that we have to implement animals first, and after that, we first have to complete the survival gameplay etc.

[...] but as my mother use to say: "If you want to do something, do it right". I made the experience that it is sometimes harder to change stuff afterwards. And why not give an input that might be relative usefull? [...]

Your mother is right ;) When we implement something like breeding, we'll most likely do it the way you suggested. But it's uncertain when it will happen; since there is so many stuff we have to do first that is really important for the gameplay (and taming, breeding and herding is rather "fine-tuning"), it may take several months or even a year or so until the time has come =O
    Btw., it depends if something is hard to change afterwards. If we talk about a really big thing like a multiplayer mode, it's of course very hard to implement afterwards (at least in our case, where the whole world has to be in sync, and where we have to deal with a huge amount of data).
    But the more specific the change is, the easier it is to implement afterwards.

[...] But if the dev wants animals to be something valuable, he can say animals will have, later or now, specific atributes or benefits, but progged the game like in minecraft, it might be hard to balance that later on. you know? I dont claim my ideas are mass compatible or the only way. its just a piece of colour to give the game a touch which pushes it in another direction than mc.

The Minecraft system is good, but it's also very basic. So we always welcome any suggestions to make our game more individual ;)

I don't want to say that you have to keep your ideas in your mind. What I am trying to say is that you should try take make a top -> down (or the other way) discussion.
    Start at a high level and go into detail (or start at a low level and go to high level).

For example:
    [...]

So you see there are a lot of thing to think about and one of them is your point. I am more the development guy and so I have to think about the whole concept of something [...]

Of course this would be more helpful, but we can't claim that. Every suggestion is welcome, it doesn't matter how detailed it's described, or how important it is. Undetailed descriptions or "fine-tuning"-features may take a long time until they're implemented, and detailled descriptions are more helpful for sure, as long as that's kept in mind, and nobody expects that his suggestion will be in the game shortly, everything is going to be alright :)

[...] Maybe adding a kind of script that tells: [...]

That will definitely be possible :)

I am also getting your point and I am with you. Sadly I made the experience that thinking small (all the time) could be extremly bad for the whole game. I am also a friend of details and I love talking about crazy new ideas no other game will ever have. But keep in mind that even this game will never have it

This "all the time" is a very important part in your sentence ;) Thinking small all the time is extremely bad for the game, that's a bitter reality, but thinking sometimes small won't hurt ^^
    And bringing a lot of cool features in the game is not impossible, but a very very very time consumpting task. You see that when taking a look at Minecraft: Even today they're adding cool new stuff, but they're working on the game since a very long time. They can afford it, they earned so much money (and still sell plenty copies of that game) that there is no real need to make new games as fast as possible to avoid declaring insolvency.
    As long as a game is not such a huge success, you have to concentrate on the most important "cool features" ;)

[...] ( red51: challenge for you to disprove me :D )

Challenge accepted. What's the time frame? 10 years? :D

[...] But to be honest, i dont know much about scripting etc. Just hope the lua stuff is as easy as i hope so i can do the stuff i like to see^^ for example the optionalbe marketstand without an admin needed^^

Don't worry, it's not that hard ;) Lua is also easy to learn. This scripting system is comparable to SA:MP, MTA or IV:MP (yes, mods for a completely different game, but the basic idea of writing a gamemode is the same).
    But currently it's nearly impossible to write gamemodes without any documentation. You should wait until our wiki is available ;)

In my personal opinion should be a herd and its basic behavior part of the main game and not from a lua script. But to decide this is part of the developer.

That's the way it's currently intended :) Of course there is a basic behavior, spawning, AI etc. You only write a Lua script if you want to change this behavior, for example if animals should not spawn during evening, or if a monster should be spawned instead every time an animal should have spawned, or simply to completely prevent wild animal spawning.

• Let me put it this way: You can nearly do everything with Lua scripting, as long as it doesn't require models, textures or sounds that does not exist ingame. For example you can "spawn" any existing object you want (for example a marketstand), but you're not able to create a new model in blender or 3ds max and put it into the game. If you want to do something like that, you have to create a mod ;)

• Challenge accepted. What's the time frame? 10 years?

Mhh, you are thinking in long time terms. I hope that we all looking back to the first of many self-developed games in 10 years.
    If you keep that in mind, I think you have 2 years to integrate it into concept. After that the next game should be in the pipline :D

• Mhh, you are thinking in long time terms. I hope that we all looking back to the first of many self-developed games in 10 years.
    If you keep that in mind, I think you have 2 years to integrate it into concept. After that the next game should be in the pipline :D

Well, currently indiegames pop up like mushrooms :D

• Well, currently indiegames pop up like mushrooms

That's true. But most of them are very special or not as good as they could be or both. For me concept is a high potential (as long as the developer stay focused and keep the good speed of delivering features). It just has to take the critical mass of players. This is the most important part!

• Mhh, you are thinking in long time terms. I hope that we all looking back to the first of many self-developed games in 10 years.

If everything goes well, that's the plan. We have quite some ideas for future games. But we'll focus on Concept at least until it reaches its final state (respectively a kind of final state). And after that, we first have some further plans to extend Concept, and I'm talking about really big things. But we will be coming back to that when the time is ripe ;)

[...] For me concept is a high potential (as long as the developer stay focused and keep the good speed of delivering features). It just has to take the critical mass of players. This is the most important part!

Thanks! :) Of course we do our best to bring new updates as quick as possible. Currently some updates may take a little bit longer, since there are still some critical features on our todo list, and we're only 2 developers. Apart from the game development, there are still some other tasks: implement new payment methods, work on the wiki, website etc.
    I'm sure development could be even faster in the future ;) Currently we do our best to bring new updates at intervals of 1-3 weeks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!