Saying Hello. A Little about myself. What I like about Rising World. Somethings I noticed...

• Hello to the Testers, Players, Devs, etc.,
    My name is Michael, Thorfinn is my gaming name. I live in California, USA. I'm in my mid 50's and retired. I have been a gamer since 1980 on computers and gaming systems and played and alpha/beta tested many games over the years. Of course way back then there were no real MMO's. I did play some Muds in the early 90's. I played in Meridian 59 when it started in 1996, it was one of the first 3D First Person MMORPG's. I was one of the first gamer's to use the name of Thorfinn as my gaming name which I used in Meridian 59. I also played in Ultima Online right after it came out in 1997. However I did not alpha or beta test either of those two games. Here are some of the other games I played and/or tested in: Linage, Underlight, Guild Wars, EverQuest, Asheron's Call, Runescape, World of Warcraft, Dungeons and Dragons Online just to name a few. I've also played in various other games and genres. I've used several different user/character names over the years but I like and always come back to Thorfinn. I do not play many MMO game much anymore due to several different reasons. I really like the sandbox games and have played a lot of Skyrim and Minecraft. Though I'm not much for creative building. Everything I build in-game usually has a utilitarian use rather then looks pretty. So don't look for me to be a city builder, that is just not me. Though I will play the crap out of the mining/crafting/farming/fighting aspects of any game.

I've been playing Rising World since Feb 6th and have already put in 49 hours under my Steam account. Lol, my Steam user name is not Thorfinn. I've been a Steam User since March 2011 and own 166 games. And since I'm a widower and retired I have a lot of time on my hands. A few things I like about Rising World... I really like the mining system. At first I did all of my mining either by surface or caving but then I finally decided I need the ore detector. Now I exclusively mine with the detector. I have more iron then I know what to do with. I had to craft 4 smelter's to handle the volume of ore I'm bringing in and I really could use another 4. I have a garden and an orchard. A bunch of chests just lying around... Good thing it is only my single player server...

Things I've noticed... Well the first thing was I was looking for a cave to mine in and I decided to investigate a pond nearby. I entered the water and could see the gravel bottom and I noticed that there was a dark area on the bottom. I went to investigate thinking maybe it was a coal deposit and fell through the dark spot. It was a tunnel entrance but the water from the pond was not falling down into the tunnel. It was still suspended up in the pond. Ok, I figured it was maybe a bug (Sorry, not reported yet.) but it wasn't a problem for me because I then explored the whole cave system that it lead to. A pretty large cave system too. With lots of ores. That is where I noticed that I had the abilities of a mountain goat and could walk up and down some slopes that I as a real person could not do. Again it was no problem. Actually it was very helpful in reaching some of the ores I found down there. Now I never got stuck in the walls or stone or anything until I tried the "goto" command and had shorted my "Y" coordinate and got stuck but I figured out how to get out. Twice I've accidentally hit the "Q" key and dropped my current tool and lost it as it fell through the stone. Unrecoverable, it was. I also lost a tree I had cut down the same way. It slowly fell through the ground and was gone. Oh before I forget... Your Wiki states that there is cobalt in the game. I'm haven't found any so far but I did notice that the Ore Detector does not show it on the ore selector. Can you please add that? Also Grid placement does that work in survival or only creative?

I'd say that you Devs have a really good game in the making. It of course still needs a lot of things but that is more items, resources, then play-ability. Oh, there are many more commands, etc. that you could incorporate into the game but you have a pretty good core as it stands. I think that if you stay true to your vision and don't short change the game or the community then you will have a very good product to put out when it is ready. P. S. I haven't even touched Minecraft since I got Rising World.

Thank You,
    Michael (Thorfinn)

• Welcome, Thorfinn.

A little about yourself, eh? The long version must really be something. :D

I’m also in California. For all I know you’re in the house down the street. Back when I was your age, I was not retired, and in fact I’m barely semi-retired now. Congratulations on doing it early.

I never considered myself a gamer, since I don’t count even the enjoyable time I spent with my son and his Nintendo games. It was only fun because I was playing with him. He eventually introduced me to the (then new) game called Minecraft. THAT became an addiction, and I still dabble in the game to this day. Between then and now I got fairly hooked on Ark Survival Evolved and put in a few thousand hours before I got disenchanted with the direction the developers were taking. After I left that game, I looked for something vaguely resembling Minecraft, but with more realism and difficulty. Rising World fits the bill and is now my new obsession.

Yes, it’s early access, but I find it infinitely playable already. Yes, grid placement is in survival, too. You’ve already noticed the water is static at this point. The dynamic version is planned (maybe tonight?) for the future. There are so many possibilites for this release it’s hard to predict. We have great respect for red51 as a developer, and he takes very good care of us. I think the game has a great future.

Who knows, Thorfinn, maybe I’ll see you in-game. :thumbup:

• I'm always willing to play online with others and make new friends but I try to restrict my playing to be with people that won't take my items and work while I'm away from the game (stealing). I'm not including anyone from Rising World in that statement. I just don't like it that when I come back into a game, be it a few hours or a week, then find out that all my hard work is now gone. I also don't do PVP unless that is the specific reason I go into a game for. I do not do anything to someone else that I do not want done to me. I am willing to play in a survival world getting resources for a friend to build something. So if you have a server and want to get together sometime just let me know.

• Welcome on board @Thorfinn!

Hmmm... just for the record, as this thread seems to attract "differently young" ( :P ) persons, like @Harv, when I had your age, I was not retired, in fact I was working as a software engineer in a niche of the "almost gaming" market (flight simulation, for the sake of precision).

Right now, I no longer develop for money (mostly open source stuff): you may find some plug-in of mines in the plug-in forum section which may find useful. I am also involved in local social activities, so I have much less time for RW than I would like, so I am a bit envious of the free time you can enjoy on this inexhaustible game.

I hope too we can meet sometime on line but, as I am almost on the other side of the planet (in Italy), time zones might be a problem...

• Welcome Thorfinn, glad you count yourself a part of the community! That's quite the history you have. I haven't played games quite as long as you have, but I only considered myself a serious gamer until a few years ago. I'm an Ohioan in my mid-twenties, and I generally play survival and crafting/creative-based games. It's cool you've stuck with that name for so long. It certainly suits your adventurous and extensive gaming history :thumbup: .

I've had this game nearly two years now, and it's probably the game I've played the most on any platform. I've been an admin on a handful of servers, and the server I currently work on is Effendor. Feel free to visit! We use area protection to prevent theft and property destruction, so if you ever need time away from the server/game your stuff will remain. Most servers I know use area protection, at any rate, so you'd be okay on just about any server. This is indeed a great game, so hopefully I will make your acquaintance sometime! :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!