Aliginging logs in the air to make a yardarm is next to impossible.. It moves when you click

• My hats off to you ship builders. This is harder than making my Amphitheater round seats. Hours of work to line up one friggin log.. then it moves everytime you click to place it. Really this ALPHA game will chase more people away before it is complete. Complete frustration .. I should make a move it of how it is all set visually then you click and BOOM it is offset by half the log :cursing:

What I am trying to do is angle the ends thirds a bit to mimic the yard arm is drooping on an Ancient Greek Merchant Vessel. It is crazy how it does not stay in the correct place and shows the next one being laid in the correct place.. If you click again they all algin offset the same little bit despite where they are visually ghosted. I dont have this problem with beam or planks just logs.

• Did you use right ctrl to keep it in place?

I have the skeleton of a huge ship ready for some time already but keep failing over the hull planks. I just don't manage the planks in correct angle at the front.

Drives me crazy. Until i learn better i chose to do other tasks :)

• Yes that is the funny thing I use right cntrl it works great. I get it all lined up and it looks great with a small angle off the other log in the ghost mode. I click it jumps about half a log down or away off center and the ghost for the next log is in the correct place. If I click again it just puts a log in the spot where the first one jumped too. No other piece of wood beam or plank does this in freespace. It is probably a bug that moves the log along its centerpoint instead of the endpoints.

I feel for you on the hull planks. They are unfortunately curved in real life and a a continuously changing curve along the beam of the vessel. You cannot do curves in this game very efficiently without making very small planks over and over. The midships is easy as these are mostly straight with changing angles. As you move the bow or stern in these old vessel types the curves are compounded with angle and you cannot do this without very small sections. I have recently found that plank overlap as was done in real seems to help hide the continuous joining mismatches needed to approximate this compound curve and angle structure.

At some point you have to use the engineer's approach that it is close enough for all practical purposes and functions. It may not be scientifically or mathematically explainable but it works and can be manufactured with empirical data much like the wing of a plane.

Also at some point maybe the devs will put in better ways to create curves in wood planks or beams than thousands of tiny little sections cluttering up everyone's servers. It sounds simple but probably not so for a building game based on blocks. If that is not possible then the current smaller vertical structures that look like they are running horizontally may have to suffice.

• Here is another interesting twist the game has done to me in the middle of making my ship's forward section the means to create an angle change along the grain with the cntrl page up and page down changed to cntrl up and down arrow. If I rotated the part to change the axis then the arrow keys became the same command with cntrl. That is when trying to rotate the angle along the axis i lost that ability and either set of up-down or left-right arrows rotated the plank exactly the same. I had to change the angle of the board until the grain of the wood no longer lined up to previously set planks. Totally weirds me out :S

This may be a bug. I am not sure. But it does this duplication of arrows if I dont hit the return key before placing the ghost beam for setting then hit Right CNTRL

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!