Posts by ZaCormyr

Yea I live right across the street from work, so always makes it a nice lunch.

That must be a double-edged sword though eh. I mean, any personal stuff going on and the workplace knows about it as it happens!! lol Best to keep those worlds separate.

I was on the server last night. Had bit of a hard time finding it... Was only on long enough to drop a melon on turbo's build haha

I really like the addition to the compass. Just another needle which shows direction to your homespawn and a small indicator of distance to it. But, this is somewhat advanced tech. What could be used as a simple tech? Still need to explore a bit in the early stages. Getting lost in this game is easy... lol

Maybe some simple thing you can build which makes it easier to read the sun in order to know where north is etc.. and while using that it shows base direction? I don't know...

But yeah, no beacon for me either.

A map. Hmm. Needs to be very simple and easily made near the start so people can explore a bit early (which will be necessary I believe). Just need a form of paper, and something to write with. Charcoal to write with would be easy to make since a fire would be one of the first things people will make. And what about using the inside of tree bark to write on? While having these in your hands it draws a line for where you go, and very simple drawings for landmarks you walk passed or through, like partial triangles for mountains, little stick trees, simple icons for cave entrances or structures etc etc... With this I think we could find our way back just by following the line you made. You could make several of these and keep them for the different directions you went. Just hold right click or whatever to bring it up and look at it. If you have to swap to a weapon and fight or whatever, it stops recording where you go so you would have to be careful. Equip it again in your hands to continue. Even if you run out of room on the bark, you could just start using another and it should be pretty simple to figure out which one comes next, especially if the base is marked with it's own icon on the first one. If done properly, this would be great IMO.

@Turbo614 Where you building? I checked the spot you mentioned in your vid but there is nothing. I've got a small valley lit up I've worked on a bit near by there. Watch for a tunnel through the rock next to the path.

Edit: although I haven't watched the most recent vid so.. maybe I should haha

You could do biomes or zones with key resources and technological enemies matching the value of the resource. You want niter for you munitions you have to brave the 'highland's of dor' with its gun wielding goons with only a sword and a bow in your hands. Once you have your niter make that gun so the next time is easy.

Now that is a thought! It could be done so it is quite the challenge, so AI would have to be damn good (or I suppose they just have enough health to make it a challenge...)! Would need to make sure that players don't spawn in those biomes. Or maybe they are not biomes. Could use the dungeons, temples and ruins for this. You find a temple complex (including underground tunnel networks etc..) and possibly some type of monster(s) lurk there or some nasty bandits wielding bolt action rifles. You have to make your way to their boss and defeat him, and from him or his special chest or whatever you can get some resource required for making the rifles. Or maybe just a specific part? Either way, if you want to make two rifles, you would have to find and clear out two of these temples, ruins or dungeons with these specific bandits in them.

This way devs can control just how many weapons can be made. Once the temple etc.. is cleared out, a random monster/bandit type spawns. Just make sure the same type doesn't spawn there too often. Of course there is the issue of people destroying the dungeon etc.. but that issue is there anyways. Unless they are automatically protected. Can't remember if that part is planned lol....

One fictional back story I thought of is a world where magic is the norm and technology is seen as pseudoscience and dangerous quackery. The player is a technology user hunted for his beliefs. A refugee that's been burned out when they found the machinery. You need to rebuild, hide you cogs and motors better. Find others like you and build an enclave strong enough to stand against the magic luddites and their goblin foot soldiers. It might work in this world but magic and story are both hard work.

This I think is exactly what people don't want. A history, story or lore which directly affects the players and is a big game mechanic. I was trying for one that was more passive and just provided places for items and monsters to spawn etc... Being hunted is a step in the wrong direction I believe. Only thing I want coming to my build and messing with stuff is maybe some deer trying to eat my lettuce, or a cougar going for my goats!

Although I like the mix of magic and tech, it's very close to a game idea I've had for a long time and though of posting here. But, not sure if we will have any magic. Time for a search... Hmm.. nothing on spells. I don't think magic is wanted haha. I would accept some. Nothing crazy.. just some basic stuff. Anyways...

Been meaning to post this here for you guys to check out. It's super simple graphics but not a simple game at all. Pure survival from some interesting dudes in Finland. UnReal World. I've chatted with one of the devs on his blog (Erkka) and he's good people. Played the game a bit and will go back at some point when I'm done with current games etc.. They've done a good job on this game and it deserves a look at least. Just gotta wrap your brain around the GUI and key bindings hehe. Can check it out for free...

Also just came across this other survival game on steam greenlight. On My Own. It's much more casual but seems interesting...

@weemcast

Only zombie planned that I know of is a zombie dog. So no zombies. I think I've only seen one person actually want zombies lol.

Natural predators are coming. Monsters in at least dungeons/ruins are coming (as far as I know.. of course they could change their mind...). I have tossed the idea around in my head about bandits. Especially if there are NPC villages. Maybe not bandits roaming around everywhere but only close to their camp/lair (cave or even ruins etc...). I would be interesting to have an enemy which can use the same weapons as players. So some might have a bow, some might have just a sword and some might blast your face with a pistol. But then it becomes real easy to get weapons... so yeah.. I've tossed the idea around but not sure how to go about it. I guess keep them primitive. But then.. what's the point really? Sooner or later they will be really easy. Anyways..

Thing is, there is no time period. RW is RW, not earth or a place on earth (even if I hope for earth like elements). But yeah it is odd to build a medieval castle next to an office building lol... but that's the freedom of it.

Hunter cabin in the woods. Castle of some sort. Barely noticeable mountain home. Cavern in the depths with underground lake.

And on a popular noob server, a modern apartment building where new players can rent a room. Fully monitored so no funny business goes on.. and if it does I'll have it on tape!! lol

Plaster... I've wondered about having spreadable concrete and stuff like that. Mix it up and actually have to smooth it out. Plaster could work like this also. So you want plaster, just build with basic boards and plaster over them. Anyways.. probably not doable lol

100T for 64 blocks (a stack). Issue is, different materials weigh different. So you want to add weight to the game? Would be good if we will be carrying stuff in carts etc.. size and weight need to be considered. Plus what you carry... I would love that.

I hear ya on the 45 degree angles. Need a way to smooth the transition from horizontal to the slope and back again. On one block height difference to many... Would be nice for sure! Then world generation could use this to make any slope look so much better. A couple more slope angles would be nice also.. like 22.5 and 65.5 degrees (mid points from 0 to 45 and 45 to 90).