Posts by ZaCormyr

Gold only found in cold biomes, hellz yes! The dirt in cold biomes should be frozen, permafrost! That is why he had to warm up the dirt with a fire, maybe we could do the same to make it easier to dig in cold biomes. Otherwise you just get like half the dirt or something like that (depending on your skill of course) from using a shovel. People would have to struggle to get gold just because it's dang cold there. Water should be frozen in these biomes also which you would have to break in order to get water or to do some fishing.

So like 5 ideas there which would be great together.

I would like big chunks of gold to be generated with the world (I want to find big fist sized chunks on a rare occasion), but yeah small flakes of gold could spawn while you sluice gravel. The amount of gold flake you get depends on your sluicing skill (which works like how Quezax described skills, which I love). Then you melt it down to get a gold bar. From there you craft, and maybe are left with parts of a gold bar. I don't think a whole gold bar should be required to craft say.. a ring. Maybe just 1/4 or something like that.

Off topic a bit, I sure hope that if you remove snow in cold biomes that it comes back somehow, like if you dig a hole or whatever. And snow should totally cover up small holes.

About digging through a mountain. Well people will strip mine anyways.. it will happen. But I hear ya. The gold flake spawning while you sluice will reduce this, at least near the surface since that is where you find gold. We have to accept that the beautiful world will be destroyed in places. But this is good, it mirrors humans affect on the world...

I don't think sluicing should be totally automated, like you can walk away from it and come back later to a pile of gold flake. Maybe the sluicing could be mechanized but you still need to dig with a shovel to get the gravel and dump it in the machine, plus maintain the water supply with your pipes and pumps, power which will need fixing etc... Then manually collect the gold flake after. At this point it would be interesting if you needed to have good skill for using machines also, so the sluicing skill combines with this which would increase the amount of gold flake you get which is realistic since the machine will help you get more. (So yes I'm suggesting we have a Use Machines skill which levels...).

Gold panning progression: Gold panning by hand, simple wooden sluice box (which deteriorates fast), improved metal sluice box(same one Meltron linked but different image, improved durability), first mechanized sluice box (which is just an addition to the metal sluice box but needs piping, pump and electricity), ultimate sluicing machine which one person could use (full unit on wheels which is like a trailer so you need a vehicle to tow it, plus pipes, pump, electricity and a motor, belts, tumbler etc.. not an easy thing to make for sure).

I know that seems crazy by I think it's doable and it would be freak'n great! I don't know of any game that has anything like this in order to have an economy. It doesn't have to be like little rocks being animated or whatever. Keep it simple and basic in regards to moving parts or whatever. Would be cool if the last one had the tumbler rotate.. other than that it's all about the water flowing!

I think the ore stuff has been figured out, at least within the community haha. Not sure what the devs want to do in regards to getting ores into the game. Everyone should know by now that I hope for stone types and ores to be in layers, not pockets... haha

Good stuff on the gold panning though! :D

Right never dawned on me to use he poster with the picture frame as part of a crafting recipe lol I will have to try that out.

I am suggesting they could add that. I don't believe there are picture frames in the game currently. Just the window frames. Maybe I'm wrong though haha.. I haven't crafted everything yet, been doing more landscaping.

I'm man enough to admit I have some serious dumb ass moments.... could have totally brainfarted that one lol

you know you can right click n add one to the desktop?

haha for sure, while writing my post I did that to see what it currently looks like on my desktop. It's already deleted ;)

Be even better if the frame auto-fit the poster. 1- put up the poster. 2- resize poster as desired. 3- select the frame to go around it.

In that case I would make picture frames and leave window frames out of it. Maybe part of crafting the picture frame is putting the poster in it, then both are sized together and placed on the wall when you're happy with it?

In order to make signs like on a post or whatever, have something like a picture frame but just the back with no sides. Some could be double sided.

I like the green and black. Red and black is nice too. But I don't see the devs changing their icon from what they have already, other than improving it since it is somewhat blurry, and the website/forum logo isn't. But who knows! hehe

For me it doesn't really matter since I use steam to launch it. No desktop icon for RW.

@Quezax

Regarding how many points you get for each use based on where you are in the progression, I like it and I think it works.

I know you're just making an example, but to be clear; I think the shovel shouldn't do the same as a pickaxe. Shovel - dirt. Pickaxe - stone/ore. That said, I don't know if we would need much progression in the shovel line. How many things could we use to dig dirt? hehe So that would be a short one to get it to 100%. But IMO that is fine.. Not everything needs lots of tech advances.

Because if you're just walking, you won't get that far. Unless you're a total nomad. So you need to build some kind of vehicle to explore proper, saying that is hinting at this idea.

You are most certainly correct! Might have to wait until tonight to work on that. Can't remember how to do it in GIMP lol Will have to mess around with stuff or check a tutorial I suppose.

It's an interesting text for sure! I like how it looks corroded. But the corrosion is a little too even, some larger chunks missing would add a nice touch.

Anyways, I think they have their logo set the way they want it. Do ya do other types of graphical designs? modeling, textures?

I messed around in GIMP a bit this evening with a tall can of Holsten festbock... or two. It's been years since I've done any graphic design stuffs (having a wife and kid kinda keeps ya from being on the computer all the time...hehe). So I kept it simple and clean. But I like the result. Hope it's ok I did this. Use it if ya like there devs.

I agree for the most part regarding minigames. There were a few I enjoyed in MC. But I think I could come up with a couple minigames for RW which would be fun. The good thing about them is that they keep people on the server in case they get bored. Gives a little break from the main game. Some people like them, some don't.

But for RW, a guild or server admin could have a lobby connecting their creative server with the others, survival and marooned.. fantasy? Whichever... Doesn't have to be minigames.

I know for you Geneo this might not be interesting, my understanding from a few of your posts is you just want creative. :P

@Quezax

Maybe a resource gathering difficulty slider should be introduced, as I doubt this is an item that everyone will agree on. This would let the player/server admins decide how they want the game play to be.

I really like the idea of being able to set how much materials can be mined (wood, stone, ores, etc..) for each attempt. Any way to put this in a config file instead of deep in a jar file?

Another thing I would like to see mining get more difficult the further down you go. I do not like the idea of getting your first pick and mining straight to hell.
    Sorry a little off topic but wanted to get the whole thought in one place.

I agree. This is partly why I suggested the different stones and ores form layers like on earth. Some types of stone are much denser then others, like granite, and would take much more effort to get through. By changing the thickness of certain layers, you could control how easily and how long it would take the player can get through them. The more valuable and hard stone could be found farther down, this is how it would not be like earth. But I wouldn't want it to gradually get harder and harder as you go down, not evenly anyways. After some dense stone it might be good to have some softer stuff for a bit. Am I the only one who likes the layer idea? Devs, is that even possible or does it have to be random pockets?

Every tool has a base collection rate/attributes (time per action & amount per action) and use of each class tool gains you skill in that class that improves those rates. Each time you move up a class of technology you reduced back to base collection which probably will be a reduction overall until you get some low to moderate skill in the new class then you can gain the benefits fully. I would probably add some benefit to an course people to not skip tech classes like the rate you learn to use the new the new tech based on how much skill you have in previous classes, there by indicating transference of previously gained knowledge to the new tool. I guess this would more apply to the full development survival than the abandoned/marooned survival mode.

I have been tossing this around in my head a lot, thinking of different games and what they do for leveling and opening new techs etc.. and dude you just nailed it overall! I love it! But could you clarify the part about transferring knowledge to the new tool in order to not skip tech classes? Ya did some typos in there which make it unclear to me.

That would work for any survival mode, only difference would be the max class of tech that can be reached. In marooned mode you could only reach a very basic class but the same leveling format applies.