Posts by SighBorg

I made a "Flat Earth" version where there are no mountains, no dungeons just flatness everywhere!

Good idea. Thank you. I may start my next world as flat. It would avoid the varied water levels I'm currently dealing with. I'm working with weirs now as water ramps to transit levels. It works but it's not elegant. :)

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, red51 . :thumbup:

My view was set quite high, and I'm culling the critter population as well as the plant population. The islands were a bit overloaded...

I thought Snake Island would be an interesting theme, and provide nice places to hide my chests of gold. So I added snakes to the islands. To feed the snakes I added lots of rats. Wild boars had to be added to eat the snakes. Thick foliage was added to hide all that, along with bandits to eat the boars. By then the islands were rather crowded. :D

Hmm... does that happen in the Demo of the new version, or in the Java version? Basically a modified terrain shouldn't be more expensive in terms of rendering performance than unmodified terrain, unless a lot of detail is added to the terrain (i.e. more complex terrain structures, resulting in higher polygon counts) - but usually this difference is negligible, unless doing that on a large scale ^^

Not in the new version... I haven't made any large terrain changes there yet. Considering it will be ocean & islands it will probably already have a lot of what I'm trying to accomplish with the java version.

In the java version, I've converted many biomes to Water World types, with extensive islands populated with critters & bandits. I'm currently converting an entire ocean biome into a large broken island ring similar to what you would see in the Marshall Islands, along with smaller islands in the middle (some with structures under them). Long rivers & canals (some underground), mostly bounded by thick vegetation, connect to other widely spaced areas, some taking quite a while to traverse. And then there are the constructions... I don't know if this amounts to 'large scale', but it sure is fun and habit forming. ^^

Thank you again for such an awesome creation! :thumbup:

The world will consist of several big islands (actually huge islands), surrounded by ocean. If you want to explore various biomes, you will have to build a ship and sail to other islands.

That sounds close enough to a Water World for me! I now spend huge amounts of time turning land into water ways in the java version. Then more time unscrewing my screwups. Also, small changes aren't bad, but each large terrain change seems to make things slower and more jerky. Sounds like I'll be spending more time enjoying the scenery than creating it in the new version. Keep up the great work! :thumbup:

Howdy,

I would greatly enjoy being able to add an engine to one of the excellent ship blueprints, then decorate, load it with cargo and live on it. I have extensive waterways in the java version, as I like water, and will likely want to add even more in the new version. Ship wise, the game "Salt" accomplishes some of this. Even more importantly, most mass goods are shipped over water when possible for obvious reasons.

This may be a candidate for plugin... I did find the "SimpleCars" plugin that, with modification, may serve as the basis for a mobile ship. The ship would need to have the ability to have things attached to it, unlike the current boats which have no cargo capacity. As a workaround, I would be thrilled if I could simply slap saddlebags on the boats.

Thank you :)

Unfortunately these things never made it into the Java version, but yes, proper diving gear is definitely planned for the new version :)

Outstanding! I'm looking forward to underwater exploration. Thank you. ^^

Howdy,

In the java version I've found no practical way to explore underwater in survival mode, but there are wet suits. In creative mode I've also found many unreachable underwater ruins...

In the new version will there be some method of being underwater for more than just a few moments in survival mode? An aqualung or diving bell with hose & compressor? I would even be thrilled with an air filled balloon or a long straw if need be. ^^ Thank you

I've had the same ongoing problem with earth & water. Both bleed over into places they should not be.

So far my only solution was thicker walls in places where such walls would be hidden and not mess up my design. The smoothing function works to some degree, but if the wall isn't thick enough it trashes the earth or water on the other side.

Now, I try to design with the bleed over in mind, even though it changes some of what I'm trying to accomplish. :(

Hopefully, the new version solves this issue. :)

Howdy,

Some of my Wish List for both java and new version. I'm sure some of these have already been mentioned, so I apologize in advance for any duplicates. Some may be best as future plugins:

A slider or some such for game vs real time involving not only day/night cycle but also hunger/thirst. (These, along with real time weather such as MS Flight Sim uses, has been covered, but...)

Boats that can carry cargo. (Water has always been the best logistical method for transporting heavy and bulky goods. Along with many other obvious reasons, most humans live near water. Research suggests that the multi ton stones used to build the Egyptian pyramids were partially transported using the Nile and canals. Etc... ad infinitum.)

Forward movement toggle. (To alleviate hand fatigue when traversing large areas - I have many LONG roads, rivers & canals).

Growing & harvesting grain. (Historically, in Anatolia & later in Mesopotamia for instance, Einkorn wheat was used for many things. One of the oldest recipes discovered in cuneiform, aside from bread, was beer. I don't drink alcohol due to an unfortunate allergy, but it was historically used for trade, and due to poor water quality, beer - as well as wine - was much preferred over tainted drinking water - even into Europe's middle to late ages.)

This was my short list of things that immediately come to mind.

Again I will state that RW is the most enjoyable... I hesitate to call it a "game" as it is so much more. Experimenting with the geometry alone is addictive!

Thank you for reading... :)

At this time I cannot see a difference between those two, except there is one water you can't drink. In real life I only know the difference of foaming salt water, but I don't really think you will ever seen that in the game.

Mainly I'm after the tuna because it boosts health a lot, and so far I've only caught them in salt water.

P.S. Your blueprints are excellent. :)

Thank you for the reply. :)

The problem is tuna... I'm making a variety of islands, some with unbroken rings and fresh water lagoons. I had hopes of being able to catch both fresh and salt water fish from the islands. I'll keep messing with it, but I had hopes of doing it without major damage to repair as I've built structures and such under some of the islands. Maybe the Unity version will allow salt water to be manipulated in the same way fresh water is. Thanks again.

Hello,

Whenever I try to use salt water from the paint selection it drills a deep hole straight down. I set the grid (enter) but that doesn't help. I'm likely doing something wrong, though I've used the regular water extensively - lakes, rivers, etc - with no real problems. Any suggestions would be great. If this topic has already been addressed I apologize... I did a forum search and didn't find anything helpful. Thank you. :)

Howdy,

I turn off the thirst & hunger during normal play, and set it to real time using a plugin as the days are much too fast for me. With thirst & hunger on it is far too unreal since I usually only eat about three or four times per day. I like real time because the game then matches what I can see out my window. Unfortunately, the thirst and hunger then becomes much too frequent, and negatively impacts the immersion. Certainly this isn't a game breaker, but it would be nice to be able to set the frequency of such to closer match reality. Perhaps a plugin could eventually do this?

Either way, thank you greatly red51 for such an awesome creation... and your earlier assistance. A responsive dev is worth their weight in gold! I have been thoroughly hooked on RW since I started playing, and am waiting eagerly for the new test drive version. ^^

Take care, and I hope all is well over your way.