Posts by LordFoobar

We are not going to get biomes anytime soon until the developer concentrates on biomes and biomes only. [...] What needs to be done now includes biomes, water and weather. [...] What goes in the world after the biomes can be worked on next. Unless there is more then 1 person working on this, things need to be done in order or nothing will ever get finished.

I am not trying to be critical but that is just the way it is . I learned long ago back in my Amiga days a very similar lesson by trying to do everything at once. It cost me 6 months of work and I do not want to see that happen here. This game has potential. I expect an even longer delay now because of all the bugs I have seen in the steam forums.

[...]

I am an analyst programmer, I do that for a living, and I also have some experience with the very same technology that this game uses. (I actually found out about the game because of this.) And, I too have some reservation on the timeline, which @red51 is aware about. But this is beside the point. Neither you or I have the big picture, here. You don't have to work with the criticism of players who have no experience on the matter and think that game development is as fun as playing the darn thing :P

You have users that leave negative comments about the gameplay (visual, content, etc.), then you have other users complaining about features, and again more how the devs are not implementing what they want to see in game. The bottom line is that priorities are set to have the least negative impact with people who can't read, nor comprehend, that the game is still an alpha. You can't satisfy everyone at once. As I said, the biomes are held back to guarantee the same visual quality as the latest changes. Therefore you should not see this as yet another push back, but as a concern from the devs to release something of quality and substance.

Now, as a disclaimer, what I said are my own opinions, from my professional experience and insight with this project, and may not reflect the opinions of JIWgames.

will the update be finished by next week?why are the animals in the teaser pictures and not on the list??(

You have to understand that there are many servers that have been running for many months, now, and introducing biomes requires significant work to make sure that all is integrated seamlessly. If there are delays, it is not because biomes are not ready per se, but it is to guarantee the maximum visual quality throughout all worlds and world parts.

The wait is worth it :)

I support this idea because it's Rising World. Just need to keep it where it beeps, not X-ray or cheaty.

No "see through", no. However I will add a feature to select what kind of ore to detect, and the detection will not go beyond a certain distance (not unlimited).

This should be fairly easy to implement. I find this to be a good idea. Meanwhile, a Lua script could be made to find ore :) I already have part of the code implemented in world-edit. All I'd need to do is extract it and code something simple that could detect if there is some ore straight ahead; the player would only need to manually look around until something is detected (with the distance), then dig towards it.

So, /we plant line is now fixed.

I also... hehe... implemented /we paint take a look at the README for more info.

Cheers all!

BTW: German translation still needed! Anyone can grab the lc_messages/de.locale and post it here, translated? Thanks!

Hinweis: (Mit Google Translate) Deutsche Übersetzung noch benötigt! Jeder kann die lc_messages/de.locale zu greifen und sie hier, übersetzt? Vielen Dank!

Well, yes, this is possible :P

The simplest process I can think of for your use case is this :

1. Build a step as a template
    2. Select an area around the step
    4. With the area selected, instruct a script to reproduce the placement of the blocks in the selection in an incremental pattern, with x, y, and z increments specified, with a limi

An example of such command could be :

/we replicate <count> <x increment> <y increment> <z increment>

However, this can have a serious impact on the game if coded in Lua, as placing a single block will broadcast to all players... then imagine someone selecting an entire house and replicating it 30 times! .. Yes, if a script can allow something, you bet someone will do it.

This feature will be implemented at some point, but not now. But consider that it is already faster and easier with world-edit to build things :) you can use the arrow keys in the chat to re-execute older commands. With the -p flag, it's only a matter of replacing the selected area with the arrow keys. ;)

It is not possible to convert back J3O files "out of the box". There might be tools to do so, but nothing official. You can find more information about asset management with JMonkeyEngine here. It is important to note that this is so to ensure that models are not easily ripped from a game.

Bottom line is, you need the original models, or you need to create some from scratch.

Complete /we plant refactored! Now a lot easier to use with even more options :) Take a look at the README for more information and examples.

@TutMeistensNix you can make that video, it is very unlikely that anything will change too much regarding the command now.

Important: The german (DE) locale has not been translated! If anyone care to do that, and/or anyone point out any errors in the EN locale, too! I'm not even a native english person :P

Note: I installed a distance limit of 64 blocks and a number of total plants planted to 500. These limits may be modified at your own discretion in the "commandListener.lua" file, the first two local variables declared (and commented for you). These limits, I assume are for the better of most servers as placing a single plant requires a few 3D calculations to find the correct terrain height and, if planting too much, will hang the server temporarily. Limiting the amount at once helps limit server lags. Just repeat the same command to plant more than the prescribed limit.

The "Unknown command" is coming from the area protection script, there's not much I can do about it with world-edit...

As for the limit of selection, there could be a solution, and I'll see what I can do. But having a "hard" limit (not be able to select passed the limit) would be much much better and I was hoping that this would be a game feature before fiddling with this... (Like when I implemented wordwrap for that chat, then Red implemented it into the game :) )