Important notice for Mac and Linux users

• For the new version we will drop OpenGL support. Instead we will use DirectX 11/12 on Windows, Metal on Mac, and Vulkan on Linux.

While Metal and Vulkan will certainly result in better performance on Mac and Linux, older hardware may not support these APIs. On Mac, you need at least MacOS High Sierra 10.13 (which should be supported by all post-2010 Macs), and on Linux, you need a graphics adapter which is compatible with Vulkan (e.g. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 or higher, AMD Radeon R9 series, Intel HD 4000/5000 or higher etc).

On Windows, you need at least a DirectX 11 compatible graphics card.

Please let us know if your hardware does not meet these new minimum requirements.

• why not Vulkan on Windows too?

It's very likely that we add optional Vulkan support on Windows too, but we still want to stick to DX11/12 as primary APIs for the time being. The reason is that DX11 and 12 are more battle-proven and usually these APIs (at least DX11) are better supported by graphics drivers in general.

Actually we had a lot of trouble in the past with broken OpenGL drivers. If a new graphics driver comes out, there is always a chance that it has some bugs. However, since the majority of games out there is using DirectX, most bugs in DirectX drivers were discovered and fixed in no time. In case of OpenGL, it usually took a lot longer until the graphics manufacturers fixed these issues (if at all), resulting in a lot of trouble for Rising World...

But we will definitely keep a close eye on Vulkan. It's still too early to perform solid tests, but if we find out that Vulkan provides better performance than DirectX, we will think about using Vulkan as primary API on Windows :)

• ok, yeah that's what I thought was some of the reasons but because I'm a Linux user I'll be using the Vulkan version anyway so I'm on the bug report side of things. :thumbsup:

I would recommend keeping an eye on gamingonlinux.com,
    they report the gaming side of linux and when there's news about Vulkan, Wine and drivers they usually covers it.
    There's also people there who can help a bit with Vulkan problems and such sometimes even for Windows

I wish you good luck and be prosper in your Vulkan exploration :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!