UI Toolkit

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)
  • Hehe :D Well, it depends on what kind of animations you're looking for exactly ^^ UI Toolkit doesn't offer animations yet (so we still have to create all animations for UI programmatically). When it comes to specific UI elements (like drop down menus), it really depends on which elements get incorporated into Rising World. Many of the core elements of UI Toolkit aren't compatible with the runtime yet (originally Unity created UI Toolkit for the Editor only). AFAIK their intention is to make UI Toolkit production-ready in Q1/Q2 2021.

Unfortunately I can't say much about which elements will be available through the API at the end of the day... but we'll try to make at least all elements accessible which are also available in the vanilla game :)

• Well the specific "animation" (it was their choice of wording) I was looking at on a Unity forum discussion was in reference to animation of dropdown menus, in contrast to static.

Here's a closest visual example I could quickly find. Not great I know.

32a879637c1c7190e977538d14730383.gif

Regardless, as long as there are some simple UI elements to play with I will be more than happy. :thumbup:

• Oh I see, thanks for the image! :D Currently UI Toolkit has no built-in support for animations (according to their roadmap, that's planned for late 2021), so unless such an element is available in the vanilla game (in this case we could just expose it), you have to write the animations in code. Problem about the API is that there is currently no hover event - which would be crucial for animations like that. Basically we could add such an event, but I'm not sure if this might cause a bit too much traffic in multiplayer :thinking:

Nevertheless, it would be still a bit cumbersome to create an animation like that through the API :|

Maybe things change once UI Toolkit has official animation support. I'm not sure how their implementation will look like, but if they provide a proper way for authoring and loading animations, we could add this feature to the API - in theory :D

We're also looking for a way to enable plugin creators to create their UI right in Unity (using their new UI Builder, which is specifically made for UI Toolkit - but of course it's also still in preview). Loading .uxml and .uss files during runtime has some restrictions, but if we add such a feature, creating complex UIs would be a much smoother experience compared to creating UIs in the Java version ^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!