GTX Gaming Dedicated Server - Multiplayer players become invisible after a few minutes of play

A big new update is now available, introducing biomes, caves and much more!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.0.3 (2024-02-21)
  • Steam or Standalone?
    Steam
    Singleplayer or multiplayer?
    Multiplayer
    Error message?
    No
    Operating system
    Windows

Can anyone help?

I have a dedicated server with GTX Gaming which has been running fine for many hours of multi play, enjoying time playing with myself and 2 sons.

Suddenly the server has developed a strange bug.... after a few minutes our characters become invisible, however players are still in game and their interactions are still seen.
    For example, down in a mine, can see the other player breaking through stone, with holes appearing in stone, but can't see them or their light at all?
    Or chests opening by other player but can't see them at all?

Things I've tried so far to fix issue.....

From GTX control panel:
    Restarted server, repair server and also reinstall server (copied world down to PC first, then put it back up)
    Nothing in the logs to see at point players become invisible.

Every time without fail, after about 2-3 minutes, only 2 players on the server; we simply went invisible.

Playing Local Instead
    When we tried copying the world down from the server to my local PC and used "Play with Friends" option, started up the multiplayer and played for 10 minutes without the same issue at all?

Server is running un-modded Steam version of server.
    Rising World - 0.9.6 - Dedicated ServerWindows Server 2016 10.0 Java 1.8.0_191 (amd64)

We are using Steam version 0.9.6 Alpha on our PCs.

Not sure it's network related, as players can continue working on the server individually.... but just can't see each other, only each others world actions?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• This is more a possible workaround that a fix.

This code would check every time a player moved into a new game chunk and check to see if they were invisible, and if they are, it would would then set the player to be visible.

Let me know if you need help wrapping that into a plugin.

• Thanks yahwho for your feedback.... much appreciated.

Sorry, i'm unsure how I go about making your suggestion in to a plug-in? So would appreciate some further assistance with this.

• Thank you yahwho for sorting the plug-in, gave it whirl but sadly it's still doing the same. Looks like a problem with the server.

Me and my son tried reinstalling the server to default and tried the out-of-the-box New World.... after 5 minutes, same again went invisible.

Tried bumping the server memory up from 2048 to 5000, but same problem. After a short while, both went invisible.

I've raised a ticket with GTX Gaming to see if it's something on their end.

Thanks again for your input and support....

Cheers :o)>

• Sorry it did not fix the problem. Worth a shot though.

Are you sure it is a server side issue and not a client side issue?

If you are using Steam you can follow these instructions to validate your installs https://support.steampowered.c…le.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Just one more thing, you mention that it is yourself and your son who are having the problem. If you are planning on just playing together have you tried creating a local LAN game as opposed to a internet WAN server?

Hope you get it fixed!

• Good call, can confirm that both mine and my sons Steam files validate without issue.

Great suggestion, I might give it a go to start up a Dedicated Server on my PC to rule out the WAN element.

Although, would like to have the Dedicated Server running, so my sons and potentially their friends can pop on the server at anytime without my PC needing to be on.

Once more..... huge thanks.

• Basically a player becomes invisible automatically when the client didn't receive any new sync packets for that particular player for a given amount of time. Player sync packets are sent via UDP, so this sounds like either the server or the client is dropping UDP packets. I guess you live in the same household? In this case it's unfortunately difficult to find out if it's caused by the server or if it's a local problem :| If it's caused by the client, it could be either the router, or a firewall or antivirus program which blocks these packets.

• Thanks red51 for your advice.... we have since found our ping on the server was fluctuating from 30-40 to 900+ when we became invisible, this sounds like it matches up with UDP issues.

After host provider did some maintenance on the server, just the 2 of us managed to play on the server last Friday night into the small hours of the morning with no issues at all..... no invisibility.

Next day, at around 4pm we only got 5 minutes in then same issue kicked in. Tried a server restart.... same issue.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • ;)
    • :(
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • :verysad:
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • :crazy:
    • :lol:
    • :dizzy:
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :thinking:
    • :wacko:
    • :/
    • 8)
    • :wat:
    • :huh:
    • :silenced:
    • :wow:
    • 8|
    • :angry:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :hushed:
    • :nerd:
    • :saint:
    • :drooling:
    • :love:
    • :monocle:
    • :poo:
    • :party:
    • :drunk:
    • <3
    • :!:
    • :?:
    The maximum number of attachments: 10
    Maximum File Size: 1 MB
    Allowed extensions: 7z, avi, bmp, dds, gif, jpeg, jpg, json, log, lua, mp3, mp4, ogg, pdf, permissions, png, properties, rar, txt, xml, zip

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!