Building Update questions

• I’m pretty sure I’m in the right channel, but if not, I apologize in advance! ^^

red51

Q1: Will we be able to spawn planks and beams with any of the 100 textures with command?

Q2: I believe that you said blueprints are going to be compatible. Will blueprints be compatible when the first building update is officially released, or will you need to work on blueprint compatibility entirely, and put it out as a new update?

• I’m pretty sure I’m in the right channel, but if not, I apologize in advance! ^^

Hehe, well, basically this section is more suitable for questions regarding the new version :D I've moved your topic there ^^

Right now the various sections in the forums are indeed a bit confusing, but we will change that once the new version can actually replace the Java version (we will then move all sections and topics related to the Java version to a separate section).

Q1: Will we be able to spawn planks and beams with any of the 100 textures with command?

Building will actually work a bit different in the new version: There will be no planks or beams, instead there are various resizable blocks. Blocks are now construction elements under the hood, so they behave like planks or beams (you can fully move, rotate or resize them).

All textures will be available for blocks accordingly. The new crafting menu isn't ready yet, but when using a workbench, a texture and block shape selection window will show up now (this is a temporary solution though until the actual crafting menu is ready). Alternatively you can also get blocks with any texture by using the "item" command (if you enter "item block" without providing a texture id, a texture selection will show up btw, and if you enter "item construction", you will also be able to select the desired block shape from a UI).

Q2: I believe that you said blueprints are going to be compatible. Will blueprints be compatible when the first building update is officially released, or will you need to work on blueprint compatibility entirely, and put it out as a new update?

No, unfortuantely blueprints won't be ready in this update :| Maybe they will be available shortly after the multiplayer update. But yes, old blueprints will be compatible, at least construction elements and blocks stored in blueprints. Objects (like furniture, doors etc) cannot be extracted from Java blueprints, since the new version has no proper counterpart for most objects (and most new objects have different dimensions, so they wouldn't really fit anyway).

When it comes to construction elements, the only "limitation" is that textures will be slightly different of course (since the new version uses completely new textures). We will try to pick a texture which mostly resembles the old texture, but there may still be minor differences (for example, if you place a blueprint with a red brick wall, it will still have a red brick wall in the new version, but the bricks may look a bit different). We're thinking about implementing a tool to modify blueprints and select different textures, but unfortunately I can't say much about that yet.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!